Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Political Thread - Sodom and Gomorrah

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    That's awesome. Did he live far away before, or just moving closer?
    Nah, he’s about forty five minutes away these days. We’re both planning on retiring to northern MN. It just so happens where my family has property is pretty choice. I rarely talk about it.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    But not tired enough of how the Republicans treat the left to vote against one of the most incompetent leaders America has ever produced? Change is incremental. Letting people further away from your ideology win because the person closer to your ideology isnt close enough just means that what you want is going to drift further and further away. If Trump wins again, I can’t see the Democrats winning again for decades because the next Republican up will be just as right wing, but more presentable to independents, and that will be that.

So I would change your last sentence to “the country loves racism, tax cuts, and giving up”
    You live in a country with a functional government and actual left wing parties. The Dems are moderate GOP at best right now. I voted for HRC and Trump still won Iowa. Unless the US' electoral system changes it's really hard for me to convince people that their vote truly matters on a national level. Now state and local elections, yes. Oh and if you think Joe Biden will change anything at all, yikes. His record is way worse than the Clinton's. His campaign is about a return to normal and status quo. Unless the Dems win all of Congress Biden won't get anything done anyways.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

I would like to ask a few Democrat supporters in the US who refused to vote for Clinton or who voted for Trump as some kind of protest how allowing Donald fucking Trump to seat three Supreme Court justices helps them in the long term.
    I don't know any leftists who voted for Trump. And many of them dislike the Green Party as well.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Theres no such thing as wasting a vote unless you don't submit one. Even if its blank.
    None of the above would have won the 2016 election. Those people most likely could have voted third party at least.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    I'm voting for Biden, but anticipating some kind of screwjob that'll keep Lord Dampnut in office even if Biden wins.

With a 6-3 majority in the Supreme Court, he'll find a way to get his way and nullify all the votes that aren't for him.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Remind me again why there are not terms limits for Supreme Court judges? I'm sure there is some justification, but it just seems that it would be more logical for the electorate to know which judges were coming to the end of their term during the next administration so that perhaps they could vote accordingly (at least, those that care about it), rather than playing a rather macabre game of "Who's gonna die next?" It doesn't even have to be a term limit, just a "all judges retire at 70" type rule.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Even if you don't want to vote for President, there's always state props that will likely affect you more than anything else, and those are certainly worth voting for.

Are all states voting on the national popular vote btw? I see it for Colorado.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Remind me again why there are not terms limits for Supreme Court judges? I'm sure there is some justification, but it just seems that it would be more logical for the electorate to know which judges were coming to the end of their term during the next administration so that perhaps they could vote accordingly (at least, those that care about it), rather than playing a rather macabre game of "Who's gonna die next?" It doesn't even have to be a term limit, just a "all judges retire at 70" type rule.
    It was meant to remove them from the whims of the political moment and contribute to their impartiality but, like most things that were predicted in the 1780s, it didn't work out that way. I think there ought to be term limits for them, something on the order of 20 years. Like you say, would be good to have it be something the voters could predict and make decisions based around.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

There should be term limits for justices, period.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    I'm voting for Biden, but anticipating some kind of screwjob that'll keep Lord Dampnut in office even if Biden wins.

With a 6-3 majority in the Supreme Court, he'll find a way to get his way and nullify all the votes that aren't for him.
    I remember 2000 all too well. Bush won on bullshit.

Ezee I agree that state and local elections are more than enough reason to vote.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Even if you don't want to vote for President, there's always state props that will likely affect you more than anything else, and those are certainly worth voting for.

Are all states voting on the national popular vote btw? I see it for Colorado.
    We have a hilarious one here in MA called Right to Repair your car. You guys have that one too?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    We have a hilarious one here in MA called Right to Repair your car. You guys have that one too?
    Nope. What's that one do?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Nope. What's that one do?
    So some cars have proprietary diag codes which makes it hard to impossible for local shops to work on them. So VW, Mercedes, Audi you need to take your car to the dealership for service, rather than a local shop or gas station. That changed in 2012 when Right to Repair was passed in MA allowing the diag to be accessed from the plug in port in your car. 8 years later, cars have a new way of sending diag codes through a wireless technology which isn't covered under that bill. So we have to vote again for that info to be shared through the new tech. It basically stops dealership monopolies.

Except the commercials are hiiiiiiiiiiiiilarous against question 1 which are all paid for by the car companies and some data protection firm. THey are making it seem like the data could be accessed by anyone and find out where you live and come stalk you.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Holy shit, I had only been seeing Yes On 1 commercials when I watch WBZ4. That NO commercial is INSANE.

Quote Quoting Zac Efron (view post)
    Holy shit, I had only been seeing Yes On 1 commercials when I watch WBZ4. That NO commercial is INSANE.
    There's another one that I can't find the link to where they stage a repair guy saying "we already have Right to repair so vote No to keep your data safe"

That's of course half the message since he's referring to the 2012 bill which doesn't include the new technology.

I think the only reason I am seeing these ads is because I'm streaming local TV apps on the Amazon Fire Cube.

Wow I had no idea that was a law. Also that "No" add is the kind of hilarious fear based ad I've come to expect during election time. I wonder if Iowa has such a law.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Good lord, is this how every debate goes?

That was a humiliating display.

It was a fucking shit show.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Listened to ten minutes of it on the radio.

That was embarrassing.

Not going to lie, seeing that there's bingo cards and "take a drink when..." games out there gives me concern. This should not be entertainment...

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Glad I was at work.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Glad I was watching Icelandic cop shows on Netflix.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Watched 20 minutes and turned it off after Biden told Trump to shut up.

What little of it I saw (only clips - yeesh!) makes me think the "debate" went exactly how Trump intended, and serves as a perfect microcosm of his entire presidency.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

I mean, what if the moderators just muted Trump's/Biden's microphone when it isn't their turn? It works on Around the Horn.

People are applauding the moderator yesterday and I have no idea why. He had no control.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast