Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: WandaVision (Marvel)

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    I liked Wind River. Though mostly because I like Olsen and Gil Birmingham and Renner wasn't too annoying.
    Don't forget about how good the ending is:

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    I thought Wind River was great.

I really liked the last episode of WandaVision and I'm not normally big on origin stories. It definitely filled in some blanks. I knew that director guy was lying but that was confirmed earlier when what's her name hacked into the server.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Damn, I thought there were 10 episodes. I'm not prepared for it to end just yet.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

I quite enjoyed Wind River.

Now I feel a sense of obligation to watch Wind River, so as to atone for my sin (or possibly achieve vindication).

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    Damn, I thought there were 10 episodes. I'm not prepared for it to end just yet.
    I am fine with them leaving us wanting more. I doubt there will be a second season though.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Quote Quoting DFA1979 (view post)
    I am fine with them leaving us wanting more. I doubt there will be a second season though.
    Yeah, there's already like fifteen other shows in line.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Also I'm happy that WV is finally letting Olsen do a little more than just occasionally stare off into the middle distance and silently wonder, "Huh.....maybe I am traumatized?"
    Mm, now she can instead stare directly into the camera and say aloud, "yes, I am traumatized!"

j/k j/k I like the show
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Caught up and ready for the finale. I actually enjoyed the schtick of the first two episodes so much I wish they'd found a way to advance the plot while spending more time in-sitcom... but what they did was unique enough, I guess. It's not meant to be a surrealist work of art but, as Lynch lite, it's great!

Bettany and Olsen are amazing in this. They completely nail the timing and the facial expressions of old sitcoms. I'm not surprised by Bettany who was always stellar, but... Merlin's beard, Olsen got some acting classes under her belt!

Finished it. Meh

They're being rather uncharitable with the runtime descriptions, given how much padding is at the beginning and end of each episode. I liked the finale. I still think they could have, and should have, gone deeper into the hard questions of Wanda's actions. They could have given us a scene of her explaining to her children that they aren't real, etc., tho given what was about to happen, maybe that would have been too much for them at that point and a harsh way to go out. I think the angle they gave us worked okay overall. Obv the new Vision will turn up somewhere. Glad that Agatha may return in some capacity. The fit was bangin'.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

The shots of windy be-shawled Agatha flying around are the best Halloween decoration ever.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

The finale was only OK. It relied on one too many conveniences and it left Wanda off the moral hook too easily. I also couldn't understand why [
    ]

The wide appeal of the show was clearly the opening weirdness so I hope the upcoming Marvel TV shows (and movies) take notes and attempt similar things.

The Marvel subreddit calculated the whole show without recaps or credits or Marvel intro to be 4 hours, 30 mins, 10 secs. Imagine if this show were like 15 episodes long. And the first 5-7 were dedicated to the same sitcom-with-dark-hints as this show and the last 5-7 were dedicated to the tough questions about Wanda's grief and actions. Could have been really something. But it has its strengths and is an interesting experiment. Hope they keep trying new things.

--Homer

The new Vision was handled pretty weakly, and I think we could've done entirely without it.

The show's clearly at its best when it's with Wanda. While I think it was a little too convenient on how she won her final fight, the show remains one of the better things in the MCU to me. I also hope that Marvel uses the TV format to tell a story in different ways, rather than the atypical way the movies have been.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

The Marvel subreddit calculated the whole show without recaps or credits or Marvel intro to be 4 hours, 30 mins, 10 secs. Imagine if this show were like 15 episodes long. And the first 5-7 were dedicated to the same sitcom-with-dark-hints as this show and the last 5-7 were dedicated to the tough questions about Wanda's grief and actions. Could have been really something. But it has its strengths and is an interesting experiment. Hope they keep trying new things.
    I think that could have been done even with the current running time, though.

C and I loved it. Looking forward to whatever adventures await for Wanda and Nu Vision.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    It was a fine experiment. Ending wasn't really closed out entirely; where did White Vision go? What about Darcy?

Loved the Skrull after credit scene; Looks like we will be seeing more Rambeau possibly in Captain Marvel 2, or whatever Fury will be in next.

Also the After After credit scene really makes the Scarlet Witch out to be possibly the villain of Doctor Strange 2.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

This seems really sad for a "series". The Justice League movie is going to be four hours long. Apparently Falcon and the Winter Soldier is only 6 episodes. Does that mean it's going to be 2.5 hours long? The first half of Punisher on Netflix has plenty of development and each episode is 60 minutes. I only mention it because I'm watching it now.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Producer
    This saves the weakest for the last, and as much as many may not be satisfied with the first few episodes (look at their scores on imdb and trakt in comparison to the rest), I really miss the more committed charming goofiness of their format, with the occasional moments of sinister breakthroughs. Some usual MCU stuff after that is engaging enough, but coming after those eps' opening change of pace makes the whole thing feel like a big disappointment.

Still, overall I'm not outright negative on this probably because of Olsen, who finally gets a full showcase and obliterates every challenge in her way. I'd like to imagine that they make this show after seeing her Infinity War scene where she has to kill Vision, in which Olsen's performance goes above and beyond what the scene requires and makes the whole climax already a gut-punch even before the snap, being so impressed with her there that they make that scene the lynchpin of the whole series.
    Last edited by Peng; 03-06-2021 at 01:25 AM.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Funny, I totally agree with you on Olsen re: Infinity War but thought she was pretty poorly directed in a few key scenes in WV. I say that because I think she's more than capable as an actor but felt some moments were just kinda wonky.

--Homer

I'm never going to watch this, but I'm always surprised when people think the MCU moving into TV is supposed to herald new modes of storytelling when the MCU cinematic universe is essentially a glorified TV series anyway. Episodic narratives with repetitive motifs and heavy fan service with call backs and teases ("Next week on....").
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    I'm never going to watch this, but I'm always surprised when people think the MCU moving into TV is supposed to herald new modes of storytelling when the MCU cinematic universe is essentially a glorified TV series anyway. Episodic narratives with repetitive motifs and heavy fan service with call backs and teases ("Next week on....").
    Well, to be fair, something like WandaVision would never have worked as a feature film.

I adore pretty much everything MCU, but I never expect them to be anything more than breezy popcorn fare. In fact, that's what I want out of them. I want to go into each of them and feel like a kid again. Reading Marvel comics back-when was total escapism for me, and the movies reflect that completely. Part of the reason I love them so much is because when I read the comics back-when, I kept imaging how much fun they would be as movies. Now, that wish has actually come to formation and I will consume all of it.

It helps they have a producer who is dedicated to translating the characters so faithfully to the screen. I also read a lot of DC comics back in the day and the treatment their characters has been given by the WB is at times mind-boggling. Zack Snyder leaning so heavily on Frank Miller's niche portrayal of the characters is disheartening. DC has always felt more "adult," than Marvel, yes, granted, but not everything they did was uber-grimdark. I think bringing in Patty Jenkins and James Gunn were positive steps (and I anticipate that the new Suicide Squad will kick ass), but it feels like WB still doesn't respect the brand as much as they should.

Anyway ... rant over.

Man, you folks are going to be disappointed in me when all the new MCU movies top out my "Top 10 Movies First Seen in 2021" thread. lol

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    The first half of Punisher on Netflix has plenty of development and each episode is 60 minutes. I only mention it because I'm watching it now.
    I think all those Netflix shows, even the best ones like Jessica Jones, had way too much padding.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast