Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: WandaVision (Marvel)

I really liked that break with Hahn where she asks to do another take. So good.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    I kind of hope that [
    ]
    [
    ]
    Last edited by Spun Lepton; 02-08-2021 at 04:59 PM.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    [
    ]
    Last edited by Skitch; 02-08-2021 at 09:09 PM.

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    I finished Mando so this is up next.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Second episode, even better.

This weird limbo world that they're in may be my favorite thing about the MCU. I like that I have no idea where this is going and that Olsen/Bettany have tremendous chemistry while doing it.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Second episode, even better.

This weird limbo world that they're in may be my favorite thing about the MCU. I like that I have no idea where this is going and that Olsen/Bettany have tremendous chemistry while doing it.
    Yeh that's why I don't understand the hate. It's so 'right field' from what the MCU has previously done that it's almost intoxicating.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

There is no "hate", just a bunch of entitled people with no patience. If you can't stand two short episodes of TV references that will definitely lead somewhere pretty soon, I don't know what to tell you.

I liked the first 2. Ep3 started to grate on me (I hate laugh tracks, even used ironically). But ep4 got me back in.

Edit: I was so irritated at ep3 I had to stop half way through lol.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I liked the first 2. Ep3 started to grate on me (I hate laugh tracks, even used ironically). But ep4 got me back in.

Edit: I was so irritated at ep3 I had to stop half way through lol.
    Actually loved episode 3 on my end. The reality is unavoidable as the "tv age" gets closer and closer to reality.

*oops* I never actually saw Age of Ultron that was the start of these two characters. Watching some clips afterwards, it's funny seeing how much more interesting each character is now compared to what they were at the beginning of the MCU.

Is there a reason she had an accent at the start of it all, or an explanation of how it got dropped btw?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Is there a reason she had an accent at the start of it all, or an explanation of how it got dropped btw?
    It fades a bit as the MCU goes on. This show does address it in a somewhat creative and subtle way in Ep5.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

I liked the first episode. The 50s sitcom stuff made me laugh a bit. This feels weird enough to keep me hooked.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

OH, DAMN Episode 4.

I mean, in a way, it's the saddest thing to see this alternate world that Wanda has created for herself, knowing what's actually out there.

I can't imagine the other tv series are going to be this creative.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

OH, DAMN Episode 4.

I mean, in a way, it's the saddest thing to see this alternate world that Wanda has created for herself, knowing what's actually out there.

I can't imagine the other tv series are going to be this creative.
    I think it was episode 3 where we actually got a look at dead vision. That was spooky and just shows how much she's grieving.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

All caught up, and I read through the entire thread.

Again, I'm absolutely loving everything about this show. I was picking it up at the talent show, but this is one of the better approaches to not only grief, but also, "What could've been" that I can think of. Olson is absolutely nailing it by enjoying her imagined-created world, but can't stop the reality that's coming.

I'm glad that the first and second episode were almost entirely unaffected and we got to see the created world without mostly a blip.

This is likely going to only be a one season approach, so I'll enjoy it while I can. It wouldn't surprise me if they throw in Magneto at the end and that becomes the highlight for everyone...

And here's to hoping for a 90's-Seinfeld approach next week with Vision as Kramer.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

And here's to hoping for a 90's-Seinfeld approach next week with Vision as Kramer.
    OH YES PLEASE

- - - - -
    Tbh that's already waaaaay too imaginative for "Wandavision."

The episodes aren't quite based on old shows. It's more like they're sticking to a specific formula -- family based sitcoms -- and borrowing production elements from them and literally nothing else. Not the characters, not specific dialogue or scenes, not any one scenario.

Eg: The first episode had nothing to do with "Dick Van Dyke" outside the sets. Likewise the "Brady Bunch" and "Family Ties" stuff. None of the characters or situations from those old shows appeared in a recognizable form. (Well, maybe "Bewitched," but only in the broadest sense.) So even if they riffed on "Seinfeld's" setting, Kramer wouldn't appear because he would be too specific a reference.

They won't do "Seinfeld," though, because it wasn't a family sitcom. There's no way to plug Vision and Wanda into that show's format.

What's weird is that Disney owns ABC television, and therefore presumably the rights of a shit ton of old sitcoms. They could have done a line by line, shot for shot remake of "Donna Reed" or "Bewitched" or "Three's Company" or "Happy Days" and that would have been vastly more interesting than what they're actually doing.

They could have made genuinely weird pop art out of this ... but for some reason chose to play it safe and do the most anodyne thing possible.

Not sure what 90s family shows come to mind that wasn't already done last episode.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Not sure what 90s family shows come to mind that wasn't already done last episode.
    Family Matters, Full House, they won't touch Cosby, Fresh Prince of Bell Air come to mind.

Friends if they are really ballsy.

- - - - -
    "Fresh Prince" was NBC. Likely Disney won't go near it either.

"Family Matters" was ABC, but I don't think they will borrow from a well known black family sitcom and re-populate it almost exclusively with white actors, not in 2021.

My bet is "Full House," because this show loves the meta joke.

But I also think that's asking the wrong question, because the meta joke and show-within-a-show is the least interesting part of this.

I want to know how and if they're gonna walk back making Wanda a major villain, outside a few lines of throwaway dialogue.

ETA: Also if they're gonna retcon Vision back to the living.
    Last edited by Irish; 02-10-2021 at 06:49 PM.

Didn't they touch Full House already? That opening title sequence in the last episode was almost 1/1 Full House.

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    Didn't they touch Full House already? That opening title sequence in the last episode was almost 1/1 Full House.
    No it wasn't. That was 100% Family Ties. (80s)

I watched a whole bunch of Family Ties when I was a kid, and completely forgot pretty much everything about it. Yeah, they did the portrait thing, but the picnic on the grass in the end? I'm kinda thinking they did both, and will skip to something completely 90s next.

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    I watched a whole bunch of Family Ties when I was a kid, and completely forgot pretty much everything about it. Yeah, they did the portrait thing, but the picnic on the grass in the end? I'm kinda thinking they did both, and will skip to something completely 90s next.
    Agreed. Plus the twins is basically Full House already.

Home IMprovement.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Just popping in to say that while Uncle Phil justifiably got a lot of praise, I always feel sad that Carl Winslow is never really mentioned in the same breath. I watched way more FM than Fresh Prince, and Carl was like a second father figure to me almost. I love him so much. Even if Jaleel White got all the ink and chatter, I always enjoyed watching Carl/RVJ work more.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

I love Family Matters even if the show jumped the shark in the last season.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast