Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: WandaVision (Marvel)

One thing about DC is that I just don't think Superman and Batman are ever really fit to be in the same world together. They're so vastly different, that even in comics I feel they're too separated and odd to have in the same storyline.

Marvel's done a good job because they've clearly established that heros like Thor, Hulk, and even Scarlet Witch are vastly more powerful than Black Widow, Hawkeye, and Spider-Man. Iron Man/Captain America are somewhere in the middle, but likely have no chance if they were to try and go one-on-one with them, and if they did, it would be out of pure luck. DC seems to try to put Superman/Batman on the same level with each other.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I continue to be amused that Marvel Studios has taken something that for years, decades, was a niche-geek thing and made it so wildly mainstream in popularity. My mother likes Marvel movies, even watched Agents of Shield ffs. The Guardians squad are her favorite. She otherwise could not care less about genre works or sci-fi or fantasy or comics. There's something deeply interesting about that to me. Marvel has been rather canny about the accessibility of its approach. And if we're fast approaching oversaturation and it leads to a stack overflow of sorts....well, so it goes. Other things will replace it. I wish the balance were tipped a little more evenly though, so that with every [will-probably-suck] Morbius we get a Logan. For now I can enjoy a Marvel movie and then rewatch a Fellini and then hoot with delight at Kong fighting Godzilla and then catch the next It Follows. From where I'm sitting, I'm feeling fine on a personal level. Industry-wise, oh, I dunno. I leave that up to y'all who enjoy debating it with Scorsese.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    I think all those Netflix shows, even the best ones like Jessica Jones, had way too much padding.
    You're probably right. But I'm just needing maybe 1 or 2 sixty minute episodes in this WandaSeries. I'm not asking for 13. Sixty minutes episodes, like the Netflix ones.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    From where I'm sitting, I'm feeling fine on a personal level.
    I have no problem with the MCU existing. Mainstream entertainment has been around forever and will always be so. I just wish it were better (the movies anyway; I have not watched any of the TV series) . Anyway, I'm bowing out because I have not watched this TV show and should not derail the thread further.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    One thing about DC is that I just don't think Superman and Batman are ever really fit to be in the same world together. They're so vastly different, that even in comics I feel they're too separated and odd to have in the same storyline.

Marvel's done a good job because they've clearly established that heros like Thor, Hulk, and even Scarlet Witch are vastly more powerful than Black Widow, Hawkeye, and Spider-Man. Iron Man/Captain America are somewhere in the middle, but likely have no chance if they were to try and go one-on-one with them, and if they did, it would be out of pure luck. DC seems to try to put Superman/Batman on the same level with each other.
    Mmmwell, that's because Batman is on a whole 'nother level than Supes. The stuff in the animated shows/movies where he shows why is the best stuff.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

I continue to be amused that Marvel Studios has taken something that for years, decades, was a niche-geek thing and made it so wildly mainstream in popularity. My mother likes Marvel movies, even watched Agents of Shield ffs. The Guardians squad are her favorite. She otherwise could not care less about genre works or sci-fi or fantasy or comics. There's something deeply interesting about that to me. Marvel has been rather canny about the accessibility of its approach. And if we're fast approaching oversaturation and it leads to a stack overflow of sorts....well, so it goes. Other things will replace it. I wish the balance were tipped a little more evenly though, so that with every [will-probably-suck] Morbius we get a Logan. For now I can enjoy a Marvel movie and then rewatch a Fellini and then hoot with delight at Kong fighting Godzilla and then catch the next It Follows. From where I'm sitting, I'm feeling fine on a personal level. Industry-wise, oh, I dunno. I leave that up to y'all who enjoy debating it with Scorsese.
    That's the truth. I was talking about WandaVision today with people that don't watch any other movies, still think Star Wars is geeky, and some reality tv. The exception is Marvel. They liked the sitcom stuff of WandaVision, even though they didn't understand why they were doing it really. We both agreed that the ending was kind of lame, but that the sum of the show was very good. Her favorite is Thor: Ragnarok.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I can't be bothered with the MCU bashing at all. For a lovely few years, it was a given that I'd go out with all my friends to a fun movie we all knew we'd probably enjoy a lot a few times per year. There'd be speculation, sometimes cosplay for the premiere, because many in our group love making and performing in costumes. For Endgame, we had a whole group of Avengers assembled. I watched Endgame in a mall in suburban Tokyo, and experienced the same thing with the audience sniffling, gasping and clapping at the same beats as our friends back home. Sure, none of the movies were Raging Bull, but I don't think any of us would make an effort like that for a Scorsese movie. Sorry, Marty, but - let me have my memories.

Just recollecting... and Agatha.

What was she doing prior to being "woke up" by Vision? Was is just momentary glimpses of being aware and forging things to mess with Wanda in an attempt to have her do powers in front of everyone, and failing?

Why did she need to be woken up by Vision later on then?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Pretty sure she was faking being "woken up."
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

How'd she get "for real" put down then? Just odd.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Didn't she say she arrived after the Hex was created? Perhaps she just slipped into town and Wanda can't keep track of every single person she altered?

Later on, with direct focus, Wanda fades her.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

I'm more curious wtf Hayward was doing here:

--Homer

Didn't she say she arrived after the Hex was created? Perhaps she just slipped into town and Wanda can't keep track of every single person she altered?

I missed it but I could buy that. The car stop incident would be quite the facade to put on still.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

yeh that was the impression as I took it. THe magic drew her to the town, and she stayed to try to understand how someone as powerful as Wanda could cast such a spell.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I kept my promise and watched Wind River. I have to admit, I liked it! But in my defense it skirts dangerously close to a movie that exists. Extended thoughts in Wind River thread.

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    I kept my promise and watched Wind River. I have to admit, I liked it! But in my defense it skirts dangerously close to a movie that exists. Extended thoughts in Wind River thread.
    I think that's why they opted to tell this story in series format. As a movie it absolutely would not work. Plus Disney gets the added benefit of fans speculating and making youtube videos for 9 weeks straight. Free marketing.

I also think they were struggling with how to introduce Mutants and dark magic into the MCU without it feeling forced. And this was the easiest and cheapest way to do it.

I 100% agree it wouldn't have worked as a movie. I don't know why they would feel it difficult to introduce mutants or magic...we already have Dr. Strange (which worked in just fine imo), and at this point, if audiences are gonna bail at the idea of "mutants" then they are just stupid as hell. I think Tony's micro-robot forming suit is more ridiculous.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I 100% agree it wouldn't have worked as a movie. I don't know why they would feel it difficult to introduce mutants or magic...we already have Dr. Strange (which worked in just fine imo), and at this point, if audiences are gonna bail at the idea of "mutants" then they are just stupid as hell. I think Tony's micro-robot forming suit is more ridiculous.
    I suppose I should be more clear on the magic introduction; Not that magic exists because they have established Doctor Strange and Thor well enough for the audience at that point. It's more about Wanda's USE of magic, as a mutant. That would need to be some kind of sub plot in a bigger movie, and they wanted to play with that idea more than have it just be a scene in Doctor Strange 2 where the Ancient One tells Wanda she is a witch.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I suppose I should be more clear on the magic introduction; Not that magic exists because they have established Doctor Strange and Thor well enough for the audience at that point. It's more about Wanda's USE of magic, as a mutant. That would need to be some kind of sub plot in a bigger movie, and they wanted to play with that idea more than have it just be a scene in Doctor Strange 2 where the Ancient One tells Wanda she is a witch.
    I think audiences could just roll with it. I dont think audiences care that much anymore.

I finally watched this show and caught up on this thread and the only thing I have to say is that Wind River is really good.

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    I finally watched this show and caught up on this thread and the only thing I have to say is that Wind River is really good.
    I kind of ended up eating my words with this one. Even had the gall to recommend it in another thread. Don't judge a book by its cover I suppose.

Didn't really work for me for the first bunch of episodes although I kept watching realizing it wasn't actually a sitcom show and something had to give. By episode 4 became a minor believer as more was revealed about what was going on and I liked where it was at that point. Mysterious, certainly a whiff of originality there, but mostly downhill from there as the narrative cat was out of the bag and all they could do to keep it going was to introduce an actual real witch, which for me came out of nowhere. I did not feel that the show as about that. It didn't need a real villain. If the show had followed its original through line, that Wanda was grieving and unable to let go, then she was the 'villain'. I'm a bit more lenient towards evil government dude, but not by much to be honest. The action in the last episode is sheer bombast, clashing with the relatively simple concept of grieving and not being able to let go. Two visions flying about? No thanks. Some very wonderful and tender final moments though between Wanda and Vis at the end.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]