Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Mandalorian (Season 2)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    And [
    ]s. A billion fanboys shouted out with glee even though this was ultimately a very short and very terrible filler episode.

Makes me wonder if they should just release this as a 3 hour movie rather than six 30 minute blue ball episodes.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    blue ball episodes
    Perfect term for the endless tease of modern tv.

I was surprised this episode was directed by Robert Rodriguez, who has a rep for delivering low budget material with flair, but this looked like shit. The writing and action were both terrible.

They've falling into this weird formula where every week Mando has a videogame style quest ("defend Baby Yoda against 30 bandits") and there's always special guest star or character.

Also surprised they went to back to the "fan favorite" well right after an episode featuring Ashoka.

Didn't understand why You Know Who allied himself with Mando after Mando returned the armor. Like, Mando was already obligated to do that by his own belief system. You don't owe him anything, dude.

At this point, doesn't You Know Who make Mando irrelevant? [
    ] Why would the producers upstage their own protagonist this way?

I dont really feel anything that that character is back. Sweet episode, quite enjoyed it.

Dina kept saying "and one more toy... two more toys... one less toy... two more action figures..." whenever a new character (or a new variant) came on screen, or something was destroyed. I'm enjoying my back-to-back SW/ST on Friday nights but people are definitely very easily amused.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Didn't understand why You Know Who allied himself with Mando after Mando returned the armor. Like, Mando was already obligated to do that by his own belief system. You don't owe him anything, dude.
    I think they were trying to establish they are both from same honorable tribe and they are one in the same. But to your latter spoiler point, spot on.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I remember saving my proofs of purchase from my Star Wars figures, then sending them in and counting the days - the interminable wait!- until Boba Fett arrived, and then losing my shit when[
    ], whom I also sent in proofs of purchase to get. So, you're damn right I flipped out when I saw the [
    ], and absolutely lost it when[
    ].

Filler drivel? Maybe, but I sure as shit loved it.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

I really liked those parts too, and I never had the love of the character everyone else [I mean Star Wars fandom] seemed to. Except for the Clone Wars animated show, that is where I thought they really developed a badass character.
    Last edited by Skitch; 12-07-2020 at 05:09 PM.

It's kind of weird how much love there was for that character that did so little in the original trilogy.

It's kind of weird how much love there was for that character that did so little in the original trilogy.
    I would submit that it was BECAUSE the character did so little in the OT that he has such enduring appeal to the fans. Don't know if you know this or not, but [
    ]
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

- - - - -
    I'd argue that Fett did something major: He's the only character to outsmart Han Solo.

But you nailed the zeitgeist. Marketing the toy a year or so before the movie came out was pure genius on the part of Lucas and Kenner.

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    I would submit that it was BECAUSE the character did so little in the OT that he has such enduring appeal to the fans. Don't know if you know this or not, but [
    ]
    I do remember the story. I also remember why people got so giddy when his rocket was finally realized in the episode with Timothy Olyphant.

Wasn't the toy recalled because of a choking hazard or something?

I do remember the story. I also remember why people got so giddy when his rocket was finally realized in the episode with Timothy Olyphant.

Wasn't the toy recalled because of a choking hazard or something?
    Yeah, the first iterations of the toy had a removable rocket.

I had a blast with this episode, tho the weird twitchy maybe-cgi (?) stormtroopers ragdolling threw me a bit. That and the fake explosions. It looked rather cheap. Just give Temuera Morrison some close-ups and an opportunity to flex and it's leagues better than the show has been for long stretches.....at least for this short stretch.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

I can't get over the naive plots, as fun as some of the stuff is... Everything is incredibly contrived and silly, and we wouldn't be letting any other show get away with it. The SW mojo is really strong.
    Last edited by [ETM]; 12-12-2020 at 08:50 AM.

Season ender...well...I didn't see that coming. Wowzers. Stay through the credits.

Yeh that was something alright. Need to sleep on it. It's very deus ex machina, but that appears to be the manta of the whole series.

As for the spin-off, how many more spin-offs do we actually need? Can't we just mold all of these character into one fuckin' series? I mean, they all live during the same time period ....unless they are planning some kind of Avengers / Defenders series.

Lot of people said we didnt need this Mandalorian shit. Turns out to be pretty sweet. Who knows? Let's peep it out. Plenty of chance to shit on it if it sucks.

Side question: Why are they still not utilizing the amazing books they de-canonized? At this point, who gives a shit? People love the books and they (at least the ones I have, outside of Leia and Hans kids) wouldnt really effect the Mandalorian show or the most recent trilogy. Go for it.

Very few surprises, as always. Might continue watching but it's obvious that there isn't any desire from Disney to make any effort to make any of the content "good good", just "Star Wars good".

Oh my god his fucking face. He looked like someone dipped him in the ooze from Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Jesus Christ, Disney, put some more money in that shit if you're gonna do that.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    Oh my god his fucking face. He looked like someone dipped him in the ooze from Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Jesus Christ, Disney, put some more money in that shit if you're gonna do that.
    I didn't think it was as bad or egregious as the shit in Rogue One.

I think the only one that's worked so far is the young Luke we see in flashback training with Leia and his helmet opens for a moment. Or maybe it was just good because they only had to do it for like 2 seconds ha, but then Leia there was also still bad. It's weird.

--Homer

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    Or maybe it was just good because they only had to do it for like 2 seconds .

and she didn't speak.

One more episode to go, then I will read this thread. It's an unremarkable season so far although the first was hardly top shelf television to begin with. Episodic to a fault, uninspired scripting (seemed like every level, I mean mission was of the 'you do this for me, and I'll do that for you' variety), set pieces which resemble video game levels, superb guest stars which didn't leave much of An impression. Mandalorian just doesn't cut it.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Will avoid spoilers, so won't be reading this thread until I finish...

But Episode I.

-Loved that it was a bit longer than last season's episodes.
    -The "fan service" was done better in this episode than anything in the new trilogy. Not only did it use it well within the realm of this particular story, it also improved on something that fans have hated on with the updates (the Krayt Dragon scream).
    -Something about some of the well-known actors just looks weird in the world of Star Wars. I bought into the Olyphant character, but something about his look, and others from before, just seems too polished and clean... It's definitely just a thing for me at least. Had a similar issue with Giancarlo Esposito/Bill Burr when they popped up last year.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Had a similar issue with Giancarlo Esposito/Bill Burr when they popped up last year.
    No spoilers, but you might come around on that this season. Maybe not.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast