Thread: The Mandalorian (Season 2)

Producer
    No.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Why is Mando still wearing a cape and how does it not catch on fire when he uses his jetpack?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    So, did they just explain the Snoke cloning reasoning in this episode?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I think so. Obviously trying to clone force sensitive units using the Child's blood... However, now I'm wondering - what if they tried cloning Yoda? And... did?

So it took 13 episodes for a Jedi to show up. More than I thought. And it was pretty cool.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    I still don't think this show is all that good, but goddamn if I don't get a huge kick out of it. I swear to God, I bounce in my seat when the theme music starts, every f'ing week.

I've taken to watching "The Clone Wars" because I wanted to see more of that Jedi. Weird thing, but this shitty animated show, with 20 minute pops, is more rigorous and varied with its stories than "The Mandalorian." How tf did that happen?

Producer
    Absolutely loved this week's planet design. All-around pretty immersive world-building that helps make that climatic fight so visually striking.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    I still don't think this show is all that good, but goddamn if I don't get a huge kick out of it. I swear to God, I bounce in my seat when the theme music starts, every f'ing week.

I've taken to watching "The Clone Wars" because I wanted to see more of that Jedi. Weird thing, but this shitty animated show, with 20 minute pops, is more rigorous and varied with its stories than "The Mandalorian." How tf did that happen?
    Haha that's exactly what my wife and I did after this past episode. We watched the first episode of the Clone Wars (never watched anything before) and we looked at each other at the end and passed on watched the second. And she didn't even show up in the first episode.

It's a rough watch.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Haha that's exactly what my wife and I did after this past episode. We watched the first episode of the Clone Wars (never watched anything before) and we looked at each other at the end and passed on watched the second. And she didn't even show up in the first episode.

It's a rough watch.
    First season is rough, but every season after gets better and better. Damn good show.

- - - - -
    Haha that's exactly what my wife and I did after this past episode.
    I was kinda surprised to discover Ashoka is a major fan favorite among those r/prequelmemes weirdoes.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    First season is rough, but every season after gets better and better. Damn good show.
    "Rookies" (Season 1, Episode 5) convinced me on the merits. That was engaging and ... totally fucked up.

I think the biggest weakness is the robot General dude with multiple arms is a terrible villain (and the voice actor practically shouts all his lines).

You think that's fucked up wait till like season 3 or 4 when theres cabals of witches turning Maul into a cyborg and shit. Its dark for a kids Star Wars show. Also, I've said it about 37 times already on MC, but that fight of Anakin and Obi-Wan v Dooku is one of the best in Star Wars. And that's one battle of many in the series that are jaw dropping awesome action.

If all the fuckers can give Deep Space Nine a pass because "you have to get past season one", then I can use that excuse too.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    I was kinda surprised to discover Ashoka is a major fan favorite among those r/prequelmemes weirdoes.

"Rookies" (Season 1, Episode 5) convinced me on the merits. That was engaging and ... totally fucked up.

I think the biggest weakness is the robot General dude with multiple arms is a terrible villain (and the voice actor practically shouts all his lines).
    Grievous? It totally doesn't help that we know exactly how he dies either. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpc_...reStateStudios

Yep I'll agree with that. I like the mystery of that character, but it does suffer the problem of all prequels. Is there any prequel story that doesnt end disappointing because you already know where it's going to go?

- - - - -
    You think that's fucked up wait till like season 3 or 4 when theres cabals of witches turning Maul into a cyborg and shit. Its dark for a kids Star Wars show. Also, I've said it about 37 times already on MC, but that fight of Anakin and Obi-Wan v Dooku is one of the best in Star Wars. And that's one battle of many in the series that are jaw dropping awesome action.

If all the fuckers can give Deep Space Nine a pass because "you have to get past season one", then I can use that excuse too.
    It's surprisingly dark and I'm kinda shocked how much I'm enjoying. My expectations for anything "Star Wars" related couldn't be lower, I've heard nothing but bad to lukewarm things about "Clones" for years, but ... I just watched 3 really solid episodes. (One of them had a guest appearance from George Takei playing a Separatist warlord. Weirdly jarring to hear Sulu's voice in "Star Wars," lol.)

Grievous? It totally doesn't help that we know exactly how he dies either. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpc_...reStateStudios
    Yep, that's the dude. The way the character is written and the way the voice actor delivers the lines, Grievous seriously reminds me of Emperor Zerg from "Toy Story 2."

Last edited by Irish; 11-29-2020 at 02:42 AM.

- - - - -
    OTOH next up is another Padme and Jar Jar episode, FML

I'm telling you man, it's not without fault (obvs), but it gets better all the way to the end, imo. And the animation style grew on me like a fungus. I very much disliked it at first. And the stuff they do developing Boba Fett was wild. Even the stuff with Maul I was like "whaaaaaaat, come on wut"

One episode later "okay that's pretty sweet"

But I'm the wrong person to engage with anything Stat Wars because I openly admit I'm a hoebag for it lol

If absolutely nothing else, clone wars should be viewed has a development of the character of ashoka tano, and the absolute [behind the scenes] horror show she personally witnessed in the development of Darth Vader.

- - - - -
    Padme and Jar Jar just discovered the Separatists are messing around with chemical weapons on Naboo???? They showed a whole bunch of native livestock keeling over from poisoned water. WTF IS THIS SHOW

- - - - -
    I'm telling you man, it's not without fault (obvs), but it gets better all the way to the end, imo.
    I glanced at a few "best of lists" on some fan blogs and this is def the vibe I got, too. Like, the show really takes off around season 3 or 4 and gets wild.

But I dunno, man. I think the first season is pretty good. They got a wide cast of characters, varied plotlines, tons of cool locations, plenty of action, and some relatively sophisticated themes. This is worlds better than the other animated "Star Wars" shows I've seen and definitely better than "The Mandalorian" on a per episode basis (despite "Clone's" notable lack of Baby Yoda).

What it is is damn better than movie episodes 7, 8, and 9. And that comes from a big defender of ep8.

Hey if you dig s1 (I do too) you're in for a great ride. Most cant get by s1. That show gets nuts.

I think you should start a thread Irish Watches Clone Wars and live chat your thoughts as you go through it.

- - - - -
    I think you should start a thread Irish Watches Clone Wars and live chat your thoughts as you go through it.
    lol, I was about to post: OMG the mad scientist who developed the chemical weapons looks like a dollar store Mr Freeze and has a German accent. I can't decide if that's hilariously funny or in really bad taste.

Fuck it. I'm binging this thing.

Another thing the show does extremely well is editing. Example: theres more than one mission to reach an objective. Show follows one group for an episode. Next episode follows the other group, but develops objective in creative way that the viewer learns just what they need to. Paths steer towards convergence, but just dont fully cross, to where the viewer has all the information, but can understand why the different groups make possibly not quite right choices because they dont know what the other group knows.

I know that may sound vague and dumb, but I really marvelled and that editing. It kept me ensnared. It built the characters character while they were separated, then when they do come back together, they felt stronger for separate reasons, because of their different experiences.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast