Thread: Movie Theater Experience - The Return

Movie Theater Experience - The Return

Looks like US is having several states with theaters reopening this week. Colorado has some too, except outside of Cut Throat City, can't see myself going until at least Tenet.

Either way, share your experiences if you go.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I'm still hoping Tenet goes to one of the two drive-ins that are within an hour's drive from me. They both got Unhinged this weekend (maybe going tomorrow just to have something to do, low confidence in the movie itself) so maybe that's a good sign. If they get The New Mutants next week I'll take that as an even better sign that big studios are supporting drive-ins through this.

Here in North Carolina I think theaters are still mandated to be closed until at least 9/11 (great omen there, haha). Out of curiosity I gave booking tickets at the big IMAX in the Atlanta area a chance. There were no restrictions on which seats could be purchased. No seats blacked out. I even did two orders since the first order was the first ticket bought for that show. I thought maybe once a seat is bought the thing reacts and blacks out seats nearby. Nope, was able to buy a second seat right next to the first one I bought on a separate transaction. (Maybe things change if you use a different Regal account? Might check back again and see what it looks like on the actual day of show today.)

An AMC in Atlanta was only selling every other row, but there appeared to be no restrictions on which seats could be bought in the open rows. Looks like separate parties can sit elbow to elbow, just not in front or behind each other. Not sure how that helps.

I'll be curious to see the box office returns this weekend. Data shows people visiting retail stores is way down. Will people also stay away from theaters? Every tweet/post from the theater chains is full of people saying they can't wait to get back, but I'm guessing that most people still feel skittish. I'm not sure how widespread this knowledge is, but here's a couple of experts saying that going to the movies is one of the most unsafe things you can do, short of going to a bar.

https://film.avclub.com/please-don-t...-th-1844756993

I'm planning on staying away. The situation here in NC is improving, but it feels like such a risk. Whole thing sucks.

UPDATE: The IMAX (Regal Mall of Georgia) is now showing "Social Gaps," seats that can't be bought. For a 6:15pm show of Inception tonight: 22 seats bought, 24 seats still available, 103 total seats. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Last edited by Lazlo; 08-21-2020 at 04:13 PM.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

I don't trust Regal/AMC/Cinemark one bit.
    I'd probably go for a Landmark or Alamo theater.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I don't trust Regal/AMC/Cinemark one bit.
    I'd probably go for a Landmark or Alamo theater.
    All we have in Charlotte is Regal and AMC, unfortunately. I don't trust them either, just basing my research on the options I've got.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:

Letterboxd

Going to greenland Sunday...in Belgium.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Producer
    My country is safe to go back to cinemas for a month or two now, it's just that for me there's no new film I want to go to. Tenet looks to be the first.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Yeah, sucks living in a country controlled by an idiot and full of people who don't seem to give a shit about anyone they don't personally know.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:

Letterboxd

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    I don't know when I'll go back to a movie theater. The only one open right now in my area is the cheap theater.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

So, my local Alamo was showing Cut Throat Kings. I checked it out of curiosity, and had a whole theater to myself, so fuck yeah I'll go.

Alamo did a solid job. Greeted upon entry with the rules by someone, temp checked, and extra masks available if needed.
    They have limited screenings so that there's never multiple movies ending or starting at the same time. The greeter knew exactly what movie I was there for.
    Food and billing is settled ahead of time (a great idea for the long term IMO), limiting movement in the theater. When the movie ends, it's encouraged to exit one row at a time... I'm not sure how they do this in fuller theaters. These rules are again mentioned before the previews, and right before the movie starts.

With designated seating, each group of tickets has two buffer seats to the left and right. It smelled like sanitizer in the theater, and there's a LONG time between screenings so that they get cleaned correctly.

Thumbs up for Alamo.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter