1 25.00%

Thread: Relic (Natalie Erika James)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar

Relic (Natalie Erika James)

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

What service is this on?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Rented it on Amazon for 6.99

Remember, https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/relic is your best friend during covid

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Producer
    Strong third act makes me wish most of the film drops the respectful arthouse horror sheen that does nothing to hide its underimagined Main Metaphor drama, which requires so much more psychological and story development to not make it feel so thin for a feature length. The escalation near the end is so potent in merging both real-word horror and supernatural one, culminating in that great final scene, that I wish it has gone bugnut earlier and more often. 6/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    I wish it has gone bugnut earlier and more often. 6/10
    This is my take too. We are to quick to jump on any Wann horror film as following a finale like trope, then why are we (critics) so easily convinced that the same escalation trope can't exist in this film?

We watched this the other night, and we liked it overall, but we're very confused about something...

[
    ]

All three lead performances are really good, and it is quite creepy at times.

Frustratingly dark. So poorly lit. It goes beyond moody and becomes very difficult to see what is going on.

I also think the message of the film is a bit troubling. Gets awfully close to all-out demonizing mental illness at times.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

I dont remember anything about the grandfather which means I didn't take it as a literal depiction of which actually happened to him. Just the on the nose metaphor Peng references above, showcasing the grandma's decent into her disease.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I dont remember anything about the grandfather which means I didn't take it as a literal depiction of which actually happened to him. Just the on the nose metaphor Peng references above, showcasing the grandma's decent into her disease.
    I would support this reading if it weren't for:

A) The dream being repeated at least 3 times, and the insinuation that the cabin in the dream is in the woods where grandma disappeared.

B) the figure behind Mortimer when she is talking to her mother in the hallway.

I think the figure is just a physical representation of the evil or misfortune on the women in the family.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I think the figure is just a physical representation of the evil or misfortune on the women in the family.
    That could be. I'll have to watch it again.

- - - - -
    Voted yay sometime back and tbh I don't remember jack shit about this movie except for the ending, which was one of the most visually imaginative sequences I've seen in a horror movie in a looooooooong time.