Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Match Cut Presents: Four Top Fifties

I've never seen 12 Monkeys! I will need to get on that soon.

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    Everybody knows Gilliam's best film is The Crimson Permanent Assurance.
    If MC were Star Trek, you would be the Furengi.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    12 Monkeys- Brad Pitt's best performance?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    12 Monkeys- Brad Pitt's best performance?
    It's possible. He makes a huge impression in a short amount of time. It's been forever since I've seen 12 Monkeys but I remember him vividly.

41. PRIVATE PARTS (1997)

Howard Stern. On the surface, he’s an admittedly below-average looking man with a big nose and ridiculous hair. He’s brash, he’s crude, he’s obsessed with things women do and perform. Back when I was a pre-teen growing up and discovering what talk radio was (as well as what was visually available on the E! tv network after 11pm), I learned that Howard Stern was a shock-jock who did his job without any worry about whether what he was saying was offensive or too sexually charged. This was his shtick, no matter the guest or topic he was discussing. He was who he was and there was no other way he would or could be. This disgusted me but often also surprised, intrigued me; thanks to the 1997 Betty Thomas film Private Parts (based on Howard’s book of the same name), I learned I was not alone in my fascination about this man - in fact, beneath that ridiculous exterior of an unfiltered personality, I learned he had a heart of gold.

Private Parts begins with Howard’s youth. A nerdy kid fully aware of how odd he was, but never losing ambition as he worked his way up through the ranks at various radio stations, beginning at college at Boston University where he got his start as a disc jockey. He eventually learns to create his own foul art as an uncensored personality, often at the expense of his personal life and even his jobs. But he always finds his way, his place, and people who will work with him. And people love to hate him no matter where he is present on the airwaves. I admire the rise and fall and rise again of Howard portrayed in this movie; the story has an endearing human touch when it comes to the highs and lows of his life, never shying away from the consequences of his outlandish actions. It also touches on how the realities of his on-air behavior affected the relationship with his then-wife Allison (played with a luminous touch by Mary McCormack). This movie is an often hilarious, worthwhile glimpse into the radio business in a way that the viewer can see its workings through Howard and his struggles, whether its the words he says or making sure his trusty sidekick Robin Quivers (playing herself) is always by his side. Howard changed the landscape of radio for better or worse and this film is a fitting ode to the man. The Howard of today has evolved however, changing his tone and variety of guests he has in his studio for interviews (I’m not a listener myself, but I do believe his satellite radio channel is considered suitable for most audiences). Regardless, I’m thankful we have this memorable time capsule to look back at… when once upon a time, he was the self-proclaimed “King of All Media” and could deliver his brand of entertainment even through the magic of the silver screen.

(Available on PRIME, CBS ALL ACCESS, CRACKLE)
    Last edited by Mal; 02-18-2021 at 03:32 AM.

I haven't seen the movie, but I love the choice and everything you said. Howard Stern is a living legend.

Good choice on Private Parts: It's funny and weirdly heartfelt, though during my rewatch two decades later, it all seems a little less so given that Stern and Alison divorced only two years later (though the movie does foreshadow this to a degree with a particular Alison talking head about how difficult everything is). Giamatti is a foul-mouthed delight in an early breakout role (his end of credits rant I had memorized years back thanks to owning the soundtrack) and I wonder what happened to Mary McCormack, who is radiant here.

(Edited to avoid confusion)
    Last edited by transmogrifier; 02-18-2021 at 08:21 PM.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Love the movie. Unexpected choice from you trans.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Agree and agree. Hes long over due for a sequel.

Not my choice I was responding to Zac....
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Not my choice I was responding to Zac....
    Yeh sorry I mean't Mal. But got caught up with your mini review.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678