Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Cut Presents: Four Top Fifties

Exit Through the Gift Shop

An earnest and fascinating documentary about street art, until it isn’t. Even among those who have no problem proclaiming street art to be legitimate art, there are still people who have a problem with Thierry Guetta, who ten years later seems less like a psychotic opportunist swept up in the scene and more like one of the world’s most notable pre-instagram, post-authenticity success stories.

In fact, Banksy was again ahead of the game by crafting a film so intellectually gripping and visually seductive nobody ever much cared if the entire thing was an elaborate ruse. Yes, it’s about street art, but on another level it’s about the nature of art criticism, even art itself, and how celebrity effects everything. By a certain point we are so deep inside the rabbit hole, the only question that makes sense is the one hinted at by the film’s title: if someone is willing to pay, does anything else even matter?

Movie
    : Audition (2000)
    Director: Takeshi Miike
    Commentary: Perhaps one of the most perfectly structured horrors of all time, this takes its time benignly setting up an atmosphere of casual misogyny that explodes into visceral terror, both mental and physical. The juxtaposition between the gentle dramedy of the first half and the piano-wire tension of the second kind of renders all questions of whose to blame moot; rather, you just want to curl up in a little ball and apologize to everyone, just in case.
    Key Quote: “Words turn into lies. Only pain can be trusted.”
    Best Moment: The sack moves for the first time.

Director: Michael Haneke
    Films Seen: 9
    Average: 69.33/100
    Commentary: Icy, cerebral, a button pusher - Haneke is all of these, and he can occasionally draw the ire of cinema fans when he pushes their buttons (there has always been something ironic about horror fans feeling slighted by his central thesis of Funny Games (x2), refusing to interrogate the relationship between what the audience looks for in a horror and what film-makers deliver but sullenly accusing the film-maker of being condescending). But damn if his films are not brimming with ideas and stunning shots.
    Best Film: Cache
    Worst Film: The Piano Teacher. Not a fan of the “crazy person does randomly self-destructive crazy things in an art film” subgenre.
    Key Quote: “All movies assault the viewer in one way or another”

Musical Artist: Talking Heads
    Commentary: One of those bands that I came to late, that I dumped a whole lot of albums into my library, and that I listen to regularly, but that I haven’t really embraced yet as my own, if you know what I mean. I like them, I think they have made some great albums, but they are still aural wallpaper for me at the moment. I really need to sit down and listen to these albums seriously.
    Best Album: Tentatively Remain in Light (1980).
    Best Song: “The Great Curve’” from Remain in Light (1980)
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

I would greatly enjoy a trans commentary track on Haneke film.

46. BABE (1995)

It’s quite simple- a lonesome piglet named Babe dreams of becoming a sheepdog on a tiny farm in Australia. Hilarity and eventual triumph in the face of judgment and expectations ensues. The Sheep-Pig fairytale isn’t just a great movie because of its heartwarming story, but because its one made without much compromise to earn an audience of all ages. A lovely, sweet, charming, adorable, and unforgettable story of determination that you'd have to be a cold hearted soul to not enjoy. While Disney and others tried many times to master the Talking Animal© picture, there’s just no other like Babe. Its Pig in the City sequel is something unique as well (while a tad bizarre, its still fitting and oh so cute). The theme for Babe also instantly makes me tear up whenever I think of it. What a pig-ture.

(streaming on HBO MAX)

Just in time for my annual Audition/Babe double feature!

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Duke's Top 50 Most Influential Movies Throughout Life
    The movies I've seen from age 10-35 that have had ANY (small or large) impact on my personal viewpoint on life, lived by myself, or the perceived perspective of someone else's life.

The Fugitive (1993)

The definitive 'chase' and 'wrongfully accused' movie. No one runs better than Ford. No one tracks down their man better than TLJ. Is Ford the the best franchise actors (Indiana Jones, Jack Ryan, Star Wars (and Blade Runner I guess?)), as well as able to think of him exclusive to his solo work? I.e. this film. How was he able to overcome the trope or the type cast? Believe it or not it was this movie, not Star Wars or Indiana Jones, that made me look at things like Patriot Gams and Clear and Present Danger. As a kid, never thought of the franchise stuff being the GOOD Harrison Ford. This is probably his best film from star to finish.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Duke's Top 50 Most Influential Movies Throughout LifeThe movies I've seen from age 10-35 that have had ANY (small or large) impact on my personal viewpoint on life, lived by myself, or the perceived perspective of someone else's life. #45The Fugitive (1993)The definitive 'chase' and 'wrongfully accused' movie. No one runs better than Ford. No one tracks down their man better than TLJ. Is Ford the the best franchise actors (Indiana Jones, Jack Ryan, Star Wars (and Blade Runner I guess?)), as well as able to think of him exclusive to his solo work? I.e. this film. How was he able to overcome the trope or the type cast? Believe it or not it was this movie, not Star Wars or Indiana Jones, that made me look at things like Patriot Gams and Clear and Present Danger. As a kid, never thought of the franchise stuff being the GOOD Harrison Ford. This is probably his best film from star to finish.
    Good movie, and the bus/train scene still has one of the best senses of constant escalation in any Hollywood action scene:

Last edited by StuSmallz; 09-29-2020 at 06:42 AM.

Show Me Love

I once watched Show Me Love without English subtitles. You’d think this would hinder my enjoyment, seeing as I only speak English. But one can tell simply by watching Elin headbutt her pillow out of boredom that, even at fourteen years old, she’s already too big a star to be tethered to a small town—much less fucking Amal of all places. So too can one see in Agnes’ shifting, watery eyes that an acceptance of one of Elin’s impulsive ideas (or her parents’ awkward attempts at bonding) is in fact an acceptance of life, but that she’s always toeing the line of total catastrophe.

I mean, sure, it probably helped that I’d seen the movie before. But the point is Show Me Love feels completely and utterly authentic, regardless of language. After all, the belief—exaggerated or not—that one can literally die from not being understood may be unique to teenagers, but it transcends all culture. (As does the iconic coming out scene.) It doesn’t even really matter if you understand what’s being said at the end; the dialogue is purposefully banal, since we’ve all at some point been so completely in love that, no matter how hard we try—even if the object of our affection is talking some nonsense about chocolate milk—there’s nothing we can do to contain what is emanating from within us and in all directions. So for no apparent reason we start to laugh.

Movie
    : Les Diaboliques (1955)
    Director: Henri-Georges Clouzet
    Commentary: So...I did not review this when I saw this 10 years ago, so all of the specifics have washed away, and I’m left with the feeling of escalating tension. I need to rewatch this ASAP. Thus, I leave you with the great Pauline Kael: “The setting is a French provincial school for boys; the headmaster's wife (Vera Clouzot) and mistress (Simone Signoret) conspire to murder him. It sounds simple, but the characters seem fearfully knowing, and there are undertones of strange, tainted pleasures and punishments. According to the director, Henri-Georges Clouzot, "I sought only to amuse myself and the little child who sleeps in all our hearts-the child who hides her head under the bedcovers and begs, 'Daddy, Daddy, frighten me.'" Clouzot does it, all right; his Grand Guignol techniques are so calculatedly grisly that they seem silly, yet they succeed in making one feel queasy and sordid and scared. (Some people may feel too queasy to find the film really pleasurable.)”
    Key Quote: “It's always the ones who know how [to swim] that get drowned. The ones who can't, don't go near the pool.”

Director: Hayao Miyazaki
    Films Seen: 10
    Average: 69.45
    Commentary: Not much for me to say here - the man is an institution, and you know what you are going to get with a Miyazaki joint: plucky young lead, morally grey antagonists, metaphysical oddities, strident environmentalism, and a narrative that has a million things on its mind at once. Sometimes it seems like he is trying to jam together 5 films at once in order to make up for the laborious process of animating his flights of fancy, but then you have that aching melancholy springing up from the whirr of energy, and you can’t help but admire the alchemy.
    Best Film: Spirited Away
    “Worst” Film: Howl’s Moving Castle
    Key Quote: ““Yet, even amidst the hatred and carnage, life is still worth living. It is possible for wonderful encounters and beautiful things to exist.”

Musician: Future of the Left
    Commentary: Sure, they are a slightly more pale version of their predecessor Mclusky, but the monster riffs and sardonic humor are intact and wonderful.
    Best Album: Travels with Myself and Another (2009)
    Best Song: “Real Men Hunt in Packs” from Curses (2007)
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Show me love is a fave of mine.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)

Movie
    : Les Diaboliques (1955)
    Director: Henri-Georges Clouzet
    Commentary: So...I did not review this when I saw this 10 years ago, so all of the specifics have washed away, and I’m left with the feeling of escalating tension. I need to rewatch this ASAP. Thus, I leave you with the great Pauline Kael: “The setting is a French provincial school for boys; the headmaster's wife (Vera Clouzot) and mistress (Simone Signoret) conspire to murder him. It sounds simple, but the characters seem fearfully knowing, and there are undertones of strange, tainted pleasures and punishments. According to the director, Henri-Georges Clouzot, "I sought only to amuse myself and the little child who sleeps in all our hearts-the child who hides her head under the bedcovers and begs, 'Daddy, Daddy, frighten me.'" Clouzot does it, all right; his Grand Guignol techniques are so calculatedly grisly that they seem silly, yet they succeed in making one feel queasy and sordid and scared. (Some people may feel too queasy to find the film really pleasurable.)”
    Key Quote: “It's always the ones who know how [to swim] that get drowned. The ones who can't, don't go near the pool.”
    I liked Les Diaboliques, and found it to be fairly creepy and atmospheric on the whole, but I also couldn't help but feel I would've liked it more if I hadn't seen Vertigo beforehand, seeing as how, since both films were adapted from the same writing team with fairly similar premises, Diaboliques ended up feeling like a less emotionally engaging, psychologically insightful, and ultimately less substantive version of Hitchcock's film to me in the end. Then again, I also felt there was something missing from Wages Of Fear to make it a great film, so maybe I'm just not a huge fan of Clouzot's work in general.
    Last edited by StuSmallz; 10-02-2020 at 08:13 AM.

I'm glad worst was in quotes. What was your score?

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I'm glad worst was in quotes. What was your score?
    53/100
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

53/100
    Oh I was hoping for at least 60s. :/ Come on now

45. DRIVE (2011)

This is the first and not the last time Nicolas Winding Refn will appear on my list. Drive was a major coming-out party for a director that favors darkness and fury in his generally dude/aggro violence pictures that are racy and explicit, though not necessarily geared towards American sensibilities. Set in a Los Angeles that could be found in any Michael Mann film, Ryan Gosling’s Driver is stunt driver by day, getaway guy for hire by night- a reliable tool in a landscape of dirty men and dirty deeds. His hired jobs are done without compromise and to his fullest ability, while his unemotional, stoic presence is brings an alluring intensity that should not be crossed. A man with no name for a new era, though one who is also fully a silent lover, fighter to protect the innocent at any cost. On top of Gosling’s tremendous performance, Refn injects an unforgettable soundtrack through scoring by Cliff Martinez and the song work of various artists. Synth is the name of the game- heartbeats, tempo, lyrical exposition are all presented to varying degrees in an appealing fashion. The 80’s influence - to which Refn did deem the film to be his Pretty In Pink with violence - is very familiar but ultimately drawn anew with tracks that, when paired with the film, enhance the sensory experience a motion picture with audio can provide. Movie magic, as they say. Sadly however, the picture itself was initially met with disdain from some audiences from not being akin to a certain car series of films starring Vin Diesel, likely because Drive favors brutal, structured slow-burn vengeance over slick stunts and family. And its too bad - but their loss alone - that this film wasn’t for them. Nearly 10 years later, Drive still entertains and delights, and helped Refn gain the ability to make future projects with American resources that continue his signature colorful darkness.

It should be noted that the Radio 1 Rescores Drive version of the film (curated by Zane Lowe) is colossal failure of an idea and I don’t recommend anyone watch it. The music used isn’t anywhere close to the tracks used in the film- talk about a cheap stunt.

(streaming on Netflix)
    Last edited by Mal; 10-08-2020 at 03:07 PM.

Spoiler alert: Refn will not appear on any of my lists.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Spoiler alert: Refn will not appear on any of my lists.
    Excellent!!

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Great. Wonderful. Glad to know.

I've been meaning to see both Show Me Love and Les Diaboliques forever. I could do a true ladies night double feature.

Quote Quoting Zac Efron (view post)
    45. DRIVE (2011)
    Surprised to see this make your list, Zac, considering that the last time I saw you talk about it, you were singing a much different tune. In all seriousness though, I am really happy to see Drive on your list, since I'm a big fan of it as well, and I agree that Refn did an amazing job of reinvigorating the expected Crime cliches with his attention to building strong, memorable characters, and his amazing aesthetic, with the unbeatable combo of a beautiful visual style, and one of my favorite movie soundtracks to boot (my favorite song is "Under Your Spell", btw). Good pick!

Quote Quoting StuSmallz (view post)
    Surprised to see this make your list, Zac, considering that the last time I saw you talk about it, you were singing a much different tune. In all seriousness though, I am really happy to see Drive on your list, since I'm a big fan of it as well, and I agree that Refn did an amazing job of reinvigorating the expected Crime cliches with his attention to building strong, memorable characters, and his amazing aesthetic, with the unbeatable combo of a beautiful visual style, and one of my favorite movie soundtracks to boot (my favorite song is "Under Your Spell", btw). Good pick!
    Sarcasm, ya stalker.

Duke's Top 50 Most Influential Movies Throughout Life
    The movies I've seen from age 10-35 that have had ANY (small or large) impact on my personal viewpoint on life, lived by myself, or the perceived perspective of someone else's life.

A Serbian Film (2010)

By far the worst film on my list, but not without having the harshest physical and mental reaction after watching. It was the first time in my life, something on screen, something I knew was fake, and still had this kind of gut wrenching reaction. This is before having kids, but after exiting the Torture Porn era of the late 00s; The Saw franchise, the Collector, Ishi the Killer, Audition, the Hostel franchise.... all comedic when compared to what was depicted at the 55 minute mark. If you haven't watched the film, consider yourself lucky. If you have, consider yourself lucky you didn't watch the Director's Cut. If you have watched that, then maybe you too feel this pain. I'm not even going to describe he scene, but I'm sure you could figure it out form the wiki page.

Something with an infant?

Drive is insanely cool
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Eyes Wide Shut

The psychosexual complexity of Eyes Wide Shut makes it a movie with which one might measure life’s private milestones. Your first foray into erotic arthouse. The first time you watch something porn-adjacent with your partner. The moment you realize infidelity isn’t so black-and-white, then re-realize that maybe it is. Watching it five years after your wedding hoping your marriage never gets to that point, then thirty-five years later wondering if your marriage was ever that strong. The Hartford’s journey provides an outlet for our own innermost fears and desires, the ones we keep hidden behind a mask of social propriety, the low-frequency death of “everything’s fine,” and the white lie we tell ourselves and our loved ones: in no universe would I ever be capable of anything like that.

And the mansion ritual—has there ever been a scene with more striking artistic vision and clarity? The art direction strengthens the indictment of class. The costuming strengthens themes of self deceit and the unknowability of others. The diegetic music elevates everything and, in the words of Nick Nightingale, “I’ve never seen such women.” How exactly does one go on knowing there exists such a perfect balance of high art and base instinct, spirituality and sex, the Appolonian and the Dionysian? “We’re awake now,” says Alice, in a staggering moment of forgiveness and resolve. It’s crucial that her next and final suggestion—quite the exclamation mark on Kubrick’s life and career—is not that they “make love,” but rather something a bit more crudely worded. After all, it’s clear something is missing from their marriage, and how it is identified precisely and without shame makes Eyes Wide Shut’s ending one of cinema’s most sneakily romantic.
    Last edited by Idioteque Stalker; 11-14-2020 at 11:11 PM.

Though I understand your analysis on paper, I never understood the universal love for this. It probably deserves a rewatch.

Definitely rewatch it, Duke. It has only gotten better and better for me as I have gotten older and had different relationships with men. One of the best ever.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast