Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Match Cut Presents: Four Top Fifties

I LOVE Romancing the Stone. I watched within the last couple years and it absolutely held up. I never made the Indiana Jones connection growing up with this movie. So many great action scenes, so many great jokes. I swear to god I've seen this movie dozens of times, it was only in the last decade I got the joke that they were burning bales of weed in the crashed plane. DeVito is hilarious, "my mule, Pepe", Kathleen Turner is sexy as hell...I love it. I wouldn't change a frame.

Edit: and guess whats on amazon prime...
    Last edited by Skitch; 11-14-2020 at 03:35 PM.

I need to watch Romancing asap. I saw Jewel of the Nile as a kid when I was too young to understand anything- love Douglas/Turner.

Quote Quoting Zac Efron (view post)
    I need to watch Romancing asap. I saw Jewel of the Nile as a kid when I was too young to understand anything- love Douglas/Turner.
    I'm rewatching that but its disappointing. It has some moments, but it feels like it changes tone halfway through and the ending weird.

Buffalo '66

Ah yes, the story of Billy and Layla.
    It was funny how they met
    working for the CIA.

is this a shifter car
    im used to luxury cars
    heard of a cadillac eldorado

It was love at first sight, really.
    Just classic boy meets girl.
    And the Bills won it all.

hold me
    okay billy…
    dont touch me

Would you believe it?
    Here they are now
    spanning time

Ya want some TRIPE? Great choice. I haven’t watched it in a long time.

Quote Quoting Zac Efron (view post)
    Ya want some TRIPE?
    Of all the ugly things he says and does throughout the movie, this bothers me most.

What a strangely great movie.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)

Buffalo '66

Ah yes, the story of Billy and Layla.
    It was funny how they met
    working for the CIA.

is this a shifter car
    im used to luxury cars
    heard of a cadillac eldorado

It was love at first sight, really.
    Just classic boy meets girl.
    And the Bills won it all.

hold me
    okay billy…
    dont touch me

Would you believe it?
    Here they are now
    spanning time
    Love this film!

Movie: Spirited Away (2001)
    Director: Hayao Miyasaki
    Commentary: This is enthralling from start to finish, but really picks up steam in the second half (roughly when the giant baby becomes a fat hamster - what a great line!) as the melancholy sets in and wraps around you like a warm blanket. Miyasaki’s most successful synthesis of a fantastical flight of fancy and a grounded story (though I still do not have any sympathy for those who are annoyed by Miyasaki’s kitchen sink approach to telling a story - that is half the fun!).
    Key Quote: “Once you've met someone you never really forget them. It just takes a while for your memories to return.”
    Best Moment: The gentleness of the train trip, the calm waters stretching out to the horizon….

Director: Kathryn Bigelow
    Films Seen: 7
    Average: 69.57
    Commentary: Easily one of the best action filmmakers out there, female or otherwise, Zero Dark Thirty also proved that she could out-Greengrass Paul Greengrass if she wants to (that and United 93 make a hell of a double-bill). I really need to go on a run of her full filmography again, because I haven’t seen so many of her films forever, and haven’t seen The Weight of Water at all.
    Best Film: Near Dark (1987)
    “Worst” Film: K19: The Widowmaker (2002)
    Key Quote: “Character and emotionality don’t always have to be relegated to quieter, more simple constructs.”

Musical Artist: Pulp
    Commentary: One of the big three mid-90s Britpop bands (with one of the others due to appear on this list), Pulp were the slyest of the three, mixing sex, camp, and sardonic humor in order to skewer class conflict or just revel in sarcastic self-aggrandizement. Certainly, Jarvis Cocker was always the most interesting of the three leaders. Even the first three “forgotten” albums are pretty good.
    Best Album: This is Hardcore (1998)
    Best Song: “This is Hardcore” from This is Hardcore (1998)
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)

Movie: Spirited Away (2001)
    Director: Hayao Miyasaki
    Commentary: This is enthralling from start to finish, but really picks up steam in the second half (roughly when the giant baby becomes a fat hamster - what a great line!) as the melancholy sets in and wraps around you like a warm blanket. Miyasaki’s most successful synthesis of a fantastical flight of fancy and a grounded story (though I still do not have any sympathy for those who are annoyed by Miyasaki’s kitchen sink approach to telling a story - that is half the fun!).
    Key Quote: “Once you've met someone you never really forget them. It just takes a while for your memories to return.”
    Best Moment: The gentleness of the train trip, the calm waters stretching out to the horizon….
    I would like to highlight this one. Miyazaki's films really have a wonderful pace all their own compared to a lot of Western animated features including some of the Pixar's even. They're far more manic, chaotic, almost as if there is a concern that if they weren't, little ones would cease to be engaged.

I recently saw Coco again, which has that too, but is more restrained in that regard. But yesterday I saw the Lego Batman Movie and holy hell was it fast-paced. Which I knew in advance, because so was the first Lego movie (which I love), but still I kept wondering whether it was just too much. It's a good sequel nonetheless.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    “Worst” Film: [COLOR=#000000]K19: The Widowmaker
    Ooof, she made that? That was a rough watch.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Near Dark has been another movie in my queue for what feels like forever.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Near Dark has been another movie in my queue for what feels like forever.
    A really enjoyable movie, but a smidge overrated imo. Point Break is peak Bigelow for me.

43. THE NEVERENDING STORY (1984)

Its 1989. I’m four years old and being taken to a dinner party by my parents, along with my two sisters and baby brother. The hosts have a pair of foster children of similar age living with them, so they have a plethora of films taped on VHS which are suitable for younger audiences and long enough for the adults to enjoy a few bottles of wine without disruption. The wife of the family, Sheila, knew my sisters and I were fans of Jim Henson’s Labyrinth, so she put on Wolfgang Petersen’s The Neverending Story. This movie blew my tiny impressionable mind. Everything I watched at this age was fantasy - such as the Star Wars trilogy and The Hobbit (animated) - so movies not being fantastical and lacking monsters/creatures was an unfamiliar concept for my sensibilities. The Neverending Story took fantastical to a new level for me and became something I greatly cherished, appreciated as a burgeoning film fan.
    In the present time now over 30 years later, frankly this film isn’t close to perfect as a whole, but nevertheless, it always fills me with a certain joy that brings me back to when I was a kid watching this and other amazing films for the first time. There’s still a lot of magic in its visuals and beautifully structured production design, its characters, the music by both Klaus Doldinger and Giorgio Moroder- its flaws cannot impact how much it is very special for me and how I learned to look at movies.

(Available on HBO MAX)

I would've been scarred for life if I'd seen The Neverending Story at four years old.

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    I would've been scarred for life if I'd seen The Neverending Story at four years old.
    Ha, The Nothing was scary and swamps of sadness, obviously so sad. It was stuff like Child’s Play that truly messed me up as a youngster.

Yeh that movie terrified me as a kid.

I think on MC we tried making a list of movies we saw as kids that were scary then? Anyone remember what thread that was in?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Big news: since the list started, A Tribe Called Quest has dropped out of my Top 50 Most Listened to Artists Since 2007, replaced by Nina Simone (who has since risen to #47).
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Start the thread over.

I plan on watching a movie from trans' list (Seconds) and from Duke's list (The Nightingale, once I muster the courage), but I should thank Zac for inspiring me to finally see My Dinner with Andre. I seem to have a weak spot for movies in which the bulk of the runtime is two people lost in conversation. Andre slots right in next to movies like Certified Copy, Waking Life, Scenes from a Marriage, and The Trip quadrilogy in this respect. So much of their conversation has only become more relevant with time. I could've watched it for another hour, easy. Great movie.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    .... Point Break is peak Bigelow for me.
    The most exciting/intense/distinctive foot chase ever put on film (video)!

Duke's Top 50 Most Influential Movies Throughout Life
    The movies I've seen from age 10-35 that have had ANY (small or large) impact on my personal viewpoint on life, lived by myself, or the perceived perspective of someone else's life.

Stand by Me (1986)

Probably the best King adaptation put on film. Not without it's flaws and major subplots, but the journey element is highly effective as are the bonds between a bunch of kids. I always thought to myself why my friends and I never reacted like this when we hung out, because there are so many scenes that I cannot relate to, but so many scenes I can relate to;

Can't Relate: One of my friends crying on my shoulder because his father is crazy

Can Relate: Getting annoyed at my friends at a sleepover because one of them won't stop talking or antagonizing us

Can't Relate: Another friend cries for being wrongfully accused of being a thief

Can Relate: Telling stories around a campfire

So it had enough for me think about my relationship with my friends, and a lot of crazy scenes to make me question how life is for other kids. The gun scene, the chase across the bridge, the chase through the junk yard, and of course, emphasis on the journey and camaraderie.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)

Can't Relate: One of my friends crying on my shoulder because his father is crazy

Can Relate: Getting annoyed at my friends at a sleepover because one of them won't stop talking or antagonizing us

Can't Relate: Another friend cries for being wrongfully accused of being a thief

Can Relate: Telling stories around a campfire

So it had enough for me think about my relationship with my friends, and a lot of crazy scenes to make me question how life is for other kids. The gun scene, the chase across the bridge, the chase through the junk yard, and of course, emphasis on the journey and camaraderie.
    Can relate to all four of those relate options.

10/10

I love Stand By Me, even the barfing scene.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast