Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Cut Presents: Four Top Fifties

Match Cut Presents: Four Top Fifties

Welcome to a new thread in which four Match Cut posters (Dukefrukem, Idioteque Stalker, transmogrifier, and Zac Efron) will each share individual top fifty movies lists. The starting point for these lists is traditional “all time favorite movies,” but we may have some surprises as well. Since we are real human people, we do not guarantee new posts daily. It’s quite possible you won’t see the end of our lists until 2021, while it’s also possible we will finish more quickly in an hallucinatory fit of concentrated film nerd energy. But don’t count on it. These are our most dearly loved films, after all. It will be our pleasure to present them to you over some time. We hope you enjoy it as well.

Click the spoilers to view the in-progress lists.

Dukefrukem
    [
    ]

Idioteque Stalker
    [
    ]

transmogrifier
    [
    ]

Zac Efron
    [
    ]
    Last edited by Idioteque Stalker; 02-19-2021 at 06:39 PM.

Nice. Look forward to this.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Duke's Top 50 Most Influential Movies Throughout Life
    The movies I've seen from age 10-35 that have had ANY (small or large) impact on my personal viewpoint on life, lived by myself, or the perceived perspective of someone else's life.

The Nightingale (2018)

Starting off with a fresh one; Boy. Not a film you want to watch if you're a new parent. Sure at heart it's a core revenge film that may or may not end in the way you think it will, but the visceral tone of some of the shots, especially within the first act, are hard to stomach and forget. Does anyone else when watching films, feel their palms or feet to determine how impacted you are? What your stress level is? For me, it's a way to gauge a film's effectiveness. Am I really paying attention. Well watching this film I was, and it will surely have a long standing memory, taking up real estate in my brain.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Whoa! Cool list idea. And a film I'm very interested in seeing. Looking forward to the rest.

Contempt

As one might expect, Jean-Luc Godard’s hyper-referential masterpiece, Contempt, is rich with meta-textual layering. A work-in-progress adaptation of The Odyssey, which serves as a backdrop for the film’s events, provides a mirror in which we find leads Michel Piccoli and Brigitte Bardot. One might consider the debates between writer Piccoli and director Fritz Lang (playing himself) regarding Odysseus and Penelope’s feelings toward one another to be a heavy-handed reflection of Contempt’s tragic couple, but it’s one of Godard’s only generosities in a film so otherwise concerned with our inability, sometimes even our unwillingness, to communicate effectively.

In an extra sprinkle of cynicism, it is Jack Palance’s cocksure, money-obsessed producer who is maybe the film’s most eloquent speaker, always saying precisely what he means, even if it happens to come from the book of quotations he keeps in his pocket. Bardot and Piccoli, on the other hand, mostly speak to each other with vagueness, answering questions with other questions, rarely telling the other how they truly feel. Even when they show kindness and affection, Georges Delerue’s heartbreaking score assures us they are lying. This is not a film in which we wonder if the lead couple is going to make it through a tough time; its tender opening scene notwithstanding, this is a film where—like Greek tragedy—it’s clear from the onset there’s just one way this is going to go down, and only through sheer poeticism are we compelled to see it through.
    Last edited by Idioteque Stalker; 08-03-2020 at 03:48 PM.

For me, I'm doing three Top 50 lists for the price of one!

1. Top 50 movies that I have logged a viewing of since 2004 (that’s when I started keeping the viewing log). Thus, some films I watched a long time ago and loved do not make the list (e.g., Paths of Glory) - honestly, I don’t really remember much about them anyway. Recent!
    2. Top 50 directors. Ordered purely by their average score from my viewing log (minimum 3 films). Thus, some of my very favorites with large filmographies who have made some pretty bad films do not make it (e.g., Spike Lee and Woody Allen), and other directors who I don’t really care about do (TBA). Objective!
    3. Top 50 musical artists. Ordered purely by the number of plays I have logged on LastFM since 2007. Funnily enough, this turns out to be very close to my actual sentiments when it comes to these artists. Turns out that I tend to listen more to the bands/artists I like more. Weird!

Just be aware that I probably will be the one slowing down this list.

Movie: The Last Movie
    (1971)
    Director: Dennis Hopper
    Commentary: If only the fiascoes of our current movie generation held up so well. Works best as a doc-hybrid, kind of recreating itself as it goes along, a sharp, blackly comic look at the mentality of movie-making in general, both studio mimicry and devotion to making movies for the sake of making movies (how else to read the villagers blindly copying the 'artistry' of someone else with little interest in understanding the actual mechanics of how it all works) and counter-culture, indie movies, where those with "ideas" simply must document them on film, without having a clue about cinema as an art form (the hilarious almost-final scene at the campfire - "Just tell me, you know how to find gold? "I know just as much as I knew before, maybe more because you told me about the mercury...", not to mention the hippie dream of dropping out of the rat-race to the countryside being constantly corrupted by simple human nature)

The final 15 minutes or so eats itself, and it's terrific, as the fourth wall is not just broken, it's shattered. Sure, there is a sense throughout that this is all just a happy accident, found footage thrown together by a film-maker strung out on drugs, but that too only reinforces its strange, primal alchemy.
    Key Quote: "You know, wait a minute fellas, I don't even have my fucking scar"
    Best Moment: As above, the last 15 minutes, with a special shout out to the camera made from sticks.

Director: James Cameron
    Films Seen: 7
    Average: 68.57/100
    Commentary: Technically beyond reproach, his dialogue can be a little on the tin-eared side, and he tends to favor big, broad, easy to digest themes - but he he is one of the best kinetic directors around. Just don't ask him to try to write about marriage when he is going though a bitter divorce - that is how you get dreck like True Lies.
    Best Film: Aliens
    Worst Film: True Lies
    Best Quote: "What are you going to do, talk the alien to death?"

Musical Artist: A Tribe Called Quest
    Commentary: I wouldn't call myself an ATCQ fan as such, in that I do not really have a favorite album or song - instead, I have all of their albums in my library and I love to throw one on a random and be instantly transported into a very particular headspace. Super consistent throughout their career, they even managed to nail the dreaded comeback album.
    Last edited by transmogrifier; 08-03-2020 at 01:06 AM.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    The last list I made was a list of the 100 worst films I had ever seen. I'll be reading.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

I made a top 100. Had to include 50 honorable mentions lol

Already two cool-looking movies I haven't seen. Excellent. And Tribe Called Quest love is always welcome.

James Cameron nearly bumped off the list after trans' disastrous True Lies viewing haha.

Haha when did he say that quote? "What are you going to do, talk the alien to death" ?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I found doing a list of 50 movies in this current climate extremely daunting. During times of COVID, I'm finding myself able to watch at least one movie a day guaranteed. I've got a number of streaming services teasing me with emails of recently added films, stuff I'll never watch or films I'm suddenly desperate to watch. And then there's the numerous sites- including MC and Twitter- talking about new stuff all the time that I'm suddenly excited to see. Film critics, some I even know personally, who see and review new things that sound fantastic, so I've gotta see it as soon as I can, right? My life as a film watcher has been constant, but ever evolving.
    Back in the 90s as a kid, I watched Siskel and Ebert, and read my newspaper for the occasional arts section movie review. AT TOPS I learned of maybe 7 films a week? Life was so simple then! When I was 13, I got a job at a video store. It was still simple despite always having thousands of movies to pick from without cost to me. Nowadays, I'm truly overwhelmed, though always extremely grateful for the different ways we can all share and learn about movies.

But a list. 50 movies? I've seen thousands since I was a kid. 50 movies I like? I like a lot of things. I have movies on disc all over the house, more on digital and files on a number of hard drives. Its a lot, yet I welcome the feeling of always having film clutter, because it means I always have something to watch. Stories new and old, it really doesn't matter. All that matters is that I get something out of the 90-120 minutes (or whatever), and can move on to the next one without fail.

This is where I find myself right now: 50 movies that have been either some kind of personal favorite or something unforgettable that decided to stay in my mind for a long time. Maybe this helps you all understand me a little better? It's not the goal, though I feel like this list says something about me, where I've come from, what I've learned, etc. in the 35 years I've been around.

50. JESUS’ SON (2000)

Billy Crudup’s lead performance paints the portrait of a man drifting through the 70s who unfortunately leans into his odd, bad instincts at every turn. He finds himself given the name Fuckhead- a name that seems to stick regardless of his intentions. He falls for Michelle (Samantha Morton) a volatile presence who we know- like some of the characters we meet as the film rolls along- may run out of gas due to their drug use. The film embraces the varied experiences of its short-story roots through the script, bringing to light different facets of feeling and personality to Fuckhead though shifting moments of insanity, sadness, and empathy.

Director Alison Maclean takes us along the road with Fuckhead, changing scenarios with ease, often without much explanation. Fuckhead at one point gets a job in a hospital, despite being a messed-up addict. And remarkably he seems to be OK at what he’s tasked to do. This keeps the tone of the film fairly light- despite its darkness- able to give its lead character a chance for change in different settings. In my opinion, he’s never truly unlikable despite what these stories and characters may say about him. He discovers camaraderie, beauty, and his own path to redemption in an honest manner. Jesus’ Son may come off as one of those 90s-ish indie drug pictures that feels low budget and sprinkles poetic notions throughout. I find the film, regardless of setting and conflict, endearing as Fuckhead fucks up, meets a new friend, fucks up again. The formula may not work for some, but the way the film is about it definitely works for me.

(no current streaming option, available on torrents)
    Last edited by Mal; 08-02-2020 at 06:14 PM.

Nice intro ZF! Haven't seen that movie either and now I'm curious

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Nice intro ZF! Haven't seen that movie either and now I'm curious
    Thanks! I just realized this isn't streaming anywhere- back some years ago, it was on netflix, though not anymore, poo. I'm gonna start noting where you can watch my selected movies in the bottom of the post.

Duke's Top 50 Most Influential Movies Throughout Life
    The movies I've seen from age 10-35 that have had ANY (small or large) impact on my personal viewpoint on life, lived by myself, or the perceived perspective of someone else's life.

Nothing But Trouble (1991)

It was during the SNL glory days. VHS and Blockbuster video was a thing of beauty. And reading the box at the rental store, if you told 10 year old me that Dan Aykroyd, Chevy Chase, John Candy made a movie together, written and directed by Dan Aykroyd? I would say, "yes of course I will rent this movie every weekend for the next 37 weeks please!" I fell in love with this movie.. it would take decades for me to realize how much of a shit show the production was. Look at Dan Aykroyd's face in the screenshot above! He has a penis for a nose! No matter. 10 year old me never saw that. I only saw the things that mattered. Weird death roller coaster. A short appearance from 2Pac. Loony Toons ending. An old mansion that these people had to escape. (also keep in mind 10 year old me had just played Resident Evil so I was a little bit obsessed with old mansions at the moment). All of these things mashed together and formed some kind of creepy soft spot for this film that I just happened to rewatch recently with my wife. She didn't share the same appreciation as I do for this movie.

Please tell me that thing doesn't flare out when he sniffs.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Haha when did he say that quote? "What are you going to do, talk the alien to death" ?
    I believe he said it to Sigourney Weaver when she complained about the overuse of guns in Aliens?
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Paranoid Park

Paranoid Park is not a perfect movie. The non-actors, gathered from MySpace, can be really awkward. Non-sequential editing and extended sequences of crowdsourced skate videos kill any momentum that might have been mined from a story that already barely exists. It’s definitely not a perfect movie, but there are plenty of perfect movies you won’t find near any list of my favorites.

Paranoid Park might be the most expressionistic film I’ve ever seen. Not much is asked of the cast; instead, Gus Van Sant digs deep into his bag of tricks to show us the complex inner world of Alex, a high school skater whose attempts to find identity and community force him to grow up fast and deal with intense trauma. Lengthy slo-mos, impressionistic focus and angles, unexpected sound design and music, extreme over- and under-exposure—these are just some of the cinematic tactics Van Sant employs in what might be his most experimental film. The result is hypnotic and unsettling, like seeing your house burn down only to later zone out watching the embers glow.

Movie: Seconds (1966)
    Director: John Frankenheimer
    Commentary: It's hard to fully describe just how dark and terrifying Seconds really is. It literalizes the dread of modern suburban life in a unique, genuinely unsettling way, and makes superb use of the Rock Hudson cipher-persona.

It is shot like a nightmare, and even the moments of supposed "lightness" (like the grape festival, which I have read some people complain of being over-the-top, overlong and clunky, but that's kind of the point - it is the view of "freedom" as seen by a guy who has been chained into a life he is not sure he ever wanted, and thus works brilliantly at depicting just how hollowed out he has become) are shot through with an almost tangible horror. It puts other "ain't the suburbs terrible?" films to absolute shame. Pure cinema.
    Key Quote: “I’ve been assigned to go over the circumstances of your death with you”
    Best Moment: The ending. Can say no more.

Director: Sam Peckinpah
    Films Seen: 10
    Average: 68.6/100
    Commentary: Peckinpah was from the Ernest Hemingway School of Artistry - hard-living, hard-drinking, a man’s man for better or worse. But for all his personal faults (which have been mythologized at this point), he had cinematic and thematic vision in spades, and he knew how to compensate for (or harness) his demons in order to deliver it on screen. The fact he made so many great films despite consistently exhausting studio patience is something of a wonder. Would be higher if not for the rather dull last couple of movies in his filmography.
    Best Film: The Wild Bunch
    Worst Film: Convoy
    Key Quote: “
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness.”

Musician: Melvins
    Commentary: I got into these guys late, despite being a grunge dude in the 90s. I imagine it was because I was mostly drawn to the commercial grunge (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots) and Melvins would have been too heavy (though I don’t remember having heard them at all during that time). Well, I was cured of that, and I’ve now started to embrace the sludge. I’m still a novice when it comes to these guys, so expect my favorite album and song to change as I become more familiar with their discography.
    Best Album: Bullhead (1991)
    Best Song: “Revolve” from Stoner Witch (1994)
    Last edited by transmogrifier; 08-03-2020 at 11:41 PM.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    It's hard to fully describe just how dark and terrifying Seconds really is. It literalizes the dread of modern suburban life in a unique, genuinely unsettling way, and makes superb use of the Rock Hudson cipher-persona.
    Added to my queue!

That Melvins picture, from right to left: about to offer me a tree bark snack, electrocuting me with his mind, wearing a green vest because he clearly had to do something quirky.

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    I believe he said it to Sigourney Weaver when she complained about the overuse of guns in Aliens?
    Which in turn may have led to the real, in-movie reply: "Man, what are we supposed to use? Harsh language?" when they're deep inside the nuclear processor.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

49. RUN LOLA RUN (1999)
    “The ball is round, a game lasts 90 minutes, everything else is pure theory.”

At a brisk 80 minutes, Director Tom Tykwer’s 1999 non-stop adrenaline rush of a film feels like a perfectly tuned picture to cap-off a decade defined by style. It has that quintessentially era-specific feature of pulse-pounding frenetic editing - MTV-style as it used to be known - that keeps the viewer on the edge of their seat and their eyes challenged but always satisfied by bright, saturated imagery. Franka Potente’s lead performance as Lola is hungry, driven, terrified - we experience this runaway journey and its layers along with her, each minute more frenetic than the last, while she tries to save the day for her partner Manny.
    Whether he’s the right man for her or not isn’t the question - she’s truly running for herself, running to make things right the only way she thinks she can. Sprinting on her feet, accepting consequences that lay in front of her. There is so much in the way of chaos, yet Tykwer is generous enough to give us a few chances to get a better glimpse of what’s happening while our heroine picks up the pace on her feet, as well as some intimate red-lit bedroom chats between Lola and her boyfriend to discuss their relationship. These moments feel a bit invasive, yet it fills in the blanks for their history and emotional connection, slowing down the world to breathe and get personal. Tykwer also gives us brief glimpses at how the brief encounters Lola has while running in public affects others around her- these aren’t the most interesting parts of the film at all, though they play along with the entire fate construct of the story.

Run Lola Run is a movie, for me, that serves up joyful entertainment every single time I watch it. It’s fascinating to me how it didn’t yield too many imitators, despite its unique pacing and design. And Tykwer himself didn’t necessarily follow up the film with a series of other stories based in action and chaos. He teamed up with Franka Potente again with 2000’s The Princess And The Warrior - a fable set in present time where a life of crime fascinates the Princess in question as she falls for the troubled Warrior. While its a bit more calm and dreamy as pictures go, its still in his wheelhouse of fate and hope in a broken world, where victory comes not just from success, but from the relationships we sow. The things that matter and make us human beyond money, power, and conflict in the world.

(Available via digital rental on most platforms)
    Last edited by Mal; 08-03-2020 at 10:08 PM.

Love RLR and Tykwer!

The Nightingale is haunting stuff.
    Pantheon, S2 (C. Silverstein, 2023) ☆
    Pantheon, S1 (C. Silverstein, 2022)
    Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garc?a (S. Peckinpah, 1974)
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden, Dragon (A. Lee, 2000)
    Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (J. McNaughton, 1986) ☆
    Blowup (M. Antonioni, 1966) ☆
    Io capitano (M. Garrone, 2023) ☆
    Raging Bull (M. Scorsese, 1980)
    Network (S. Lumet, 1976) ☆
    Sideways (A. Payne, 2004) ☆

First time ☆

I haven't seen Run Lola Run since I first heard Spinal sing its praises over a decade ago. What a tightly wound, clever little movie.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast