Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Avatar: The Last Airbender

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Is this show really that good?

I've heard from everywhere that the show is the only top animation show currently airing that's worth checking out.

I'm really interested in it now considering Shyamalan is directing the film adaptation.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

I've seen some episodes. It's not worthless like other action shows like Digimon or whatever, but it doesn't interest me at all.

Disregard.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    Yes, this show is excellent and yet to be featured on my top 50 list. One thing that is excellent is like many anime it is set to be a certain amount of episodes, it's I think 10 episodes away from the conclusion. But it's really quite good and has a good pace to it. You need to watch it from the beginning though as just random episodes shant be a good idea. It gets very addicting early on. (Total episodes 61, currently at 53 aired.)

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    I thought it sucked. Though I only saw two episodes. It's not my type of show at all.

EDIT: I was stupid.

Quote Quoting Thirdmango (view post)
    Yes, this show is excellent and yet to be featured on my top 50 list. One thing that is excellent is like many anime it is set to be a certain amount of episodes, it's I think 10 episodes away from the conclusion. But it's really quite good and has a good pace to it. You need to watch it from the beginning though as just random episodes shant be a good idea. It gets very addicting early on. (Total episodes 61, currently at 53 aired.)
    I will echo this. I have only watched the first season, but found it to be a smart, fun, endearing and, yes, addictive show. I got quite into it, although I haven't made the time to watch the second season yet (but did catch a couple episodes on television, which were okay, but not great). The Jason Isaacs character was pretty cool, and of course I love Mako (RIP). I don't know who voices Iroh now.

And I can't believe Shyamalan is directing a movie. So not going to work.
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

I've been trying to figure out if I should bother with this. I may have to.

Alright, I've been on an Avatar kick for the past week and watched Book One and now is starting on Book Two. This show fucking rocks. The animation is glorious, the martial art sequences are epic, and Appa is the coolest fucking thing ever. He's like the father of Catbus. It helps to have strong characters and have a great sense of humor (it's fucking funny as hell sometimes). Definitely the strongest animated show I've seen in awhile.

It starts off slow, but halfway through season one, it picks up fast.

I strongly recommend it to everyone.
    Sure why not?

- Stay Puft

I've only seen a few episodes, but I thought it was sweet. Sweet enough to have me searching for the seasons on dvd for cheap.

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    The show is almost done, I am so excited. Just four more episodes left!

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I've seen some episodes. It's not worthless like other action shows like Digimon or whatever, but it doesn't interest me at all.
    Apparently, two years ago I was an idiot.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Six or seven episodes deep into the first season. Aang just dealt with the spirit world. I love the blend of classic hero questing and fast, youthful humor.

Watching Avatar and The Wire at the same time should be fun. The two tones are so different and yet so great that they will compliment each other quite well.

So, this showed up on Netflix Instant and I needed something relatively undemanding to watch while I work on some projects.

My main misconceptions about this show were that I thought it was created for adults, and I thought it would be more serious mystical-world-saving stuff. I'm happily surprised to find that it was made for children, just because I'm thrilled that this much quality is going into children's television; and also that the show is genuinely funny, charming and gleeful.

I don't think I've ever seen a kid's cartoon with such a powerful meta-story, though. Monster-of-the-week is out.

I'm a dozen or so episodes in.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    Is this show really that good?

I've heard from everywhere that the show is the only top animation show currently airing that's worth checking out.

I'm really interested in it now considering Shyamalan is directing the film adaptation.
    Why would that be what piques your interest? Shyamalan is a fucking hack.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Why would that be what piques your interest? Shyamalan is a fucking hack.
    He has yet to make a bad movie.
    Sure why not?

- Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    He has yet to make a bad movie.
    Disagree, but really it's his script writing I can't stand. I don't mind his direction... aside from actors, which is as equally terrible as his writing or his own acting.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

I'll resurrect this just to post that Dina and I have been burning through the show these past days, and it's truly amazing. We're up to the Painted Lady episode in Book 3 right now.
    And wow, talk about some of the moments... when we saw "The Tale of Iroh", we were both in actual tears.

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    I'll resurrect this just to post that Dina and I have been burning through the show these past days, and it's truly amazing. We're up to the Painted Lady episode in Book 3 right now.
    And wow, talk about some of the moments... when we saw "The Tale of Iroh", we were both in actual tears.
    The Tale of Iroh: Crushing Spirits since 2005.

Producer
    Just finished the first season (it's on Netflix and the episode length is perfect for when I travel between work and home). Starts a bit rough, with the first few episodes especially really childish in sensibility (instead of childlike). Even during the bumpy first half though the mythology and world-building are so dense and well-woven that it keeps my interest. Some complexity finally kicks in around mid-point; the first episode I really like is "Jet". The show has a nicely building sense of stake-raising from then on, with some really good episodes ("The Storm" and "The Blue Spirit" make for an excellent unofficial two-parter), and the finale is downright great. Excited to continue on to the next two seasons!
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Its back on Netflix? Woo-hoo! Time for a rewatch with the fam!

Hey Peng, now that you've finished the first season, you should watch the movie. Its not good, but with the season fresh in mind you can see what he was trying to do. It just didn't work that great unfortunately.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Its back on Netflix? Woo-hoo! Time for a rewatch with the fam!

Hey Peng, now that you've finished the first season, you should watch the movie. Its not good, but with the season fresh in mind you can see what he was trying to do. It just didn't work that great unfortunately.
    Peng, it's a trap.

Also, Book 2 is one of the greatest seasons of TV ever.

It would only be a trap if I didn't repeatedly say its bad. You don't warn people if its a trap.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    It would only be a trap if I didn't repeatedly say its bad. You don't warn people if its a trap.
    Still seems sketchy, Skitch.

Man, I wish I could watch this show for the first time again.

Producer
    It's on non-US Netflix, not sure about US though. And yeah, I watched the trailer after and it's basically the whole season 1? Effects weren't too bad from the trailer, but I don't know how it can work and the casting looks goofy.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast