Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Avatar: The Last Airbender

Appa's Lost Days is such a good ep and one of the reasons this show is awesome.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

dissolved into molecules lovejuice's Avatar
    3 episodes, so far so good. the stylistic choice is quite interesting, more patlabour than count of monte cristo. a curious choice why they have to go retro to emulate the anime feel.
    "Over analysis is like the oil of the Match-Cut machine." KK2.0

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Yeah, I'm through three episodes and quite like it as well. I might start over and watch it with my son. I think he would really like it.

Can't wait till you guys get to King Bumi. I think it's episode 5.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Can't wait till you guys get to King Bumi. I think it's episode 5.
    "wrong choice!"

ok, that's bad-assed. so, will all the characters come back later? since i kinda like that white-faced chick with golden fans, wanna see more of her.

Quote Quoting lovejuice (view post)
    "wrong choice!"

ok, that's bad-assed. so, will all the characters come back later? since i kinda like that white-faced chick with golden fans, wanna see more of her.
    Yep, that's another great element of the show. It's very well plotted. Nearly all the major characters come back and play integral roles in the final stages of the narrative.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

i finished the first book, and this show is honest to goodness awesome.

here are a few of my favorite moments.

1) aang versus jet in the forest. i love jet's double swords. anyone here is familiar with ironfist chinmi? those swords belong to one of the characters in that manga. and yes, they're very versatile and allow holders to do a buncha cool moves. wonder though how "historically accurate" that is.

2) the monster fight, appa versus the smeller beast. it's a kaiju anime!

3) the kaonashi knock off guy in the last episode. very sweet. the spirit tells aang they will meet again. i certainly hope so.

the kung fu animation is very well done. they did a very good job pacing/telling the story, but more than that, they built a strong foundation for things to come. i'm much impressed over all.

I'm still on episode five. I stopped watching them online and started renting them from Netflix and watching them with my son, who's loving it. We're watching disc two tonight, so I'll get three new episodes.

ok, now i have something to b*tch about. the extra materials which come with the dvd boxset is silly. mostly a one or two minute spot of uninspired interviews. perhaps it's wrong of me to expect more out of nickelodean dvd.

Quote Quoting lovejuice (view post)
    i finished the first book, and this show is honest to goodness awesome.

here are a few of my favorite moments.

1) aang versus jet in the forest. i love jet's double swords. anyone here is familiar with ironfist chinmi? those swords belong to one of the characters in that manga. and yes, they're very versatile and allow holders to do a buncha cool moves. wonder though how "historically accurate" that is.

2) the monster fight, appa versus the smeller beast. it's a kaiju anime!

3) the kaonashi knock off guy in the last episode. very sweet. the spirit tells aang they will meet again. i certainly hope so.

the kung fu animation is very well done. they did a very good job pacing/telling the story, but more than that, they built a strong foundation for things to come. i'm much impressed over all.
    Unfortunately he doesn't meet Koh The Face Stealer again in the series although Koh is seen near the end of the series in a flashback about another Avatar also...

http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Escape_...e_Spirit_World

Apparently they meet again in the game which is considered to be canonical. I haven't played it.

Of interest:

"The fighting choreography of the show draws from martial arts; the fighting styles and weaponry are based on Chinese martial arts, with each bending art corresponding to a certain real-world style. The creators referred to Ba Gua for airbending, Hung Gar for earthbending, Northern Shaolin for firebending, and Tai Chi for waterbending.[20] The only exception to this is Toph, who employs a Chu Gar Southern Praying Mantis style.[33] The series employed Sifu Kisu of the Harmonious Fist Chinese Athletic Association as a martial arts consultant.[34]

Each fighting style was chosen to represent the element it projected:

* Tai Chi focuses on alignment, body structure, breath, and visualization. This technique is the foundation of "Waterbending" in the series.[20]
    * Hung Gar was chosen for its firmly rooted stances and powerful strikes to represent the solid nature of earth. This martial art is the basis of "Earthbending" in the series.[20]
    o Chu Gar Southern Praying Mantis has distinguishing movements and unique footwork that are employed by Toph Bei Fong to complement her blindness, giving her a unique style of Earthbending.[33]
    * Northern Shaolin Kung Fu uses strong arm and leg movements. This technique is the foundation of "Firebending" in the series.[20]
    * Ba Gua uses erratic, circular movements.[20] This technique uses centripetal force to generate power, and uses nearly constant circular movement to create angles between the combatants. This martial art is the basis of "Airbending" in the series.[35][36]"
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

stuffs i like in book 2. (unfinished yet)

the drill: a big-assed machine in an ancient setting? that's two thumbs up in a final-fantasy kinda way.

tales of ba-sing-se: filler episodes, if well done, can actually be very nice. this one does a good job, filling somes holes, progressing stories, and setting tone. the homage to mako tears my eyes.

edit: gosh! the last four to five episodes of book 2 are glorious. i don't even know where to start shower the praises. lemme begin by
    [
    ]
    and the intrusion into the earth palace against dozens of guards are yummy!

Had to proceed on my own. My son was too slow for me. I'm halfway through Book Two and cruising along. Such a good show, and with all the raves about how good Book Two and Three conclude, I can't wait to finish.

I don't know whether to call you a selfish father or an awesome fan.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I don't know whether to call you a selfish father or an awesome fan.
    I like to think I'm a little of both.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    I like to think I'm a little of both.
    When all else fails, follow your gender.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

When all else fails, follow your gender.
    In my defense, we started watching the show in March, and he's still on the first disc of Book Two. I've been a model of patience, but if we keep this pace I may not live to finish the series.

In my defense, we started watching the show in March, and he's still on the first disc of Book Two. I've been a model of patience, but if we keep this pace I may not live to finish the series.
    You don't really have to explain. All I wanted was to call you a hermaphrodite.
    Movie Theater Diary

You don't really have to explain. All I wanted was to call you a hermaphrodite.
    Noted.

Finished Book Two. This is truly a fantastic show. It's so well written, and perfectly plotted and paced. Really impressive work, and I can't wait to see how it ends. Should finish things up in the next few days.

Oh, and I decided to check who voiced the characters, and found that Katara is voiced by Mae Whitman. Her?

Good man.

Now if other can follow suit.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

I've only got the final episode to go.

Finished it today. Fantastic finale. Really, a perfect ending. I do think the second season was the strongest. The third had a couple filler episodes I could have done without, but that might have been my impatience to find out how things would play out.

It's all in the caffeine EvilShoe's Avatar
    Finished it today. Fantastic finale. Really, a perfect ending. I do think the second season was the strongest. The third had a couple filler episodes I could have done without, but that might have been my impatience to find out how things would play out.
    Remember how that impatience led to you betraying your son? Fun times.
    Last movies seen
    Frank: Good
    Mistaken for Strangers: Good
    Guardians of the Galaxy: Good

Last TV seasons watched

Treme (S04): Good
    The Legend of Korra (S03): Good

Currently reading
    This Side of Paradise - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Quote Quoting EvilShoe (view post)
    Remember how that impatience led to you betraying your son? Fun times.
    Yeah. I didn't tell him about it either, and then he caught me watching it and got mad.

AvaTEARING US APAAAAART: The Last Airbender.
    Movie Theater Diary

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast