Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long Live The Idiot Box! A Random Favorites Thread

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    It goes a little long those last season or two, but the overall arc is incredible (about firefighters dealing with aftermath of 9/11). Its also incredibly funny. Its a rare show that can make me cry laughing and cry sad in same episodes, but a few did.
    I love Dennis Leary so at some point I will see it.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Rescue Me was good.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Veronica Mars

At some point I will get to the last season of Veronica Mars. I heard bad and good things, and according to Wikipedia the show is dead again. I really liked the 2014 movie and I love the show because it is pure film noir, has a fantastic diverse cast and a sharp wit. Kristen Bell and Jason Dohring are the main highlights, yet I always liked Percy Daggs III and Tina Majorino as Veronica's friends. Oh and Enrico Colantoni is easily one of the best TV dads ever as Keith Mars. The show even had guest stars that went on to bigger things, the most famous out of them probably being Jessica Chastain.

I wrote a much longer blog piece on the show before the movie came out, and I really liked the movie as well. Even though people love Season 1 a lot I'm more of a Season 2 kind of guy. I felt it was better paced and more consistent, although once Season 1 sucks you into the main murder mystery you can't stop watching. Even though I liked Season 3 it suffered from the show being under the threat of being canceled, which did end up happening. I still dig the original series ending, which felt very film noir and was pretty good. Even if the show is dead I'll always have those wonderful Neptune memories. That and the whole series is still on Hulu.

TV Network This Was On: UPN, then the CW, now it's on Hulu.

Favorite Character: Originally it was Logan, now it's Wallace Fennel

Favorite Episode: Normal Is the Watchword, for now anyways.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Lost

Imagine if this show was on streaming like Stranger Things in today's Internet driven TV landscape. Spoilers would be everywhere and people would burn through this show like crazy. Lost actually helped drive streaming being more a thing for weekly TV when ABC wisely put the show on their website to watch every week. I love Lost so much, and it was one of the last network shows to take over my life to the point when I would tune in every week. It did take me a few years to finally watch the last season, but that was only because I never wanted it to end. Sure the creators wisely ended things at six seasons, but if they had kept on going I would have kept running in. The show had a devoured, almost fanatical fanbase that ensured the show received an ending. Me I love all of the seasons and I was happy with the ending. I don't think everyone feels the same way.

Oh man this show's cast was ridiculously good. You had Jack and Locke as the show's dynamic, the Sawyer-Jack-Kate love triangle for sparks, and the Sun-Jin pairing for stability. Hurley and Charlie were the show's comic relief, and we all rooted for poor Desmond to finally get home. I feel that the show unfairly cut out Michael, yet he did come back. Also Ben had perhaps the most remarkable arc out of all the characters, going from sinister to oddly sympathetic in the span of a couple seasons. Sayid was a personal favorite of mine and some of the others I liked more than many did.

Seasons 3-5 are probably some of the best and most compelling TV, ever. I remember the OWLs group on RT and Icine, and Lost is still the only show I ever regularly wrote episode reviews for. Btw I never understood why some people didn't like Juliet, and I feel the show answered most if not all of the major questions. Oh and a shoutout to both Miles and Frank for being awesome later seasons additions. I will say that having Claire disappear too much later on did annoy me, and looking back Kate often got stuck with some of the lesser episodes. Ah what a series.

TV Network This Was On: ABC

Favorite Character: Sawyer but it has changed so many times because I mostly love them all.

Favorite Episode: This is tough. For now I will go with The Constant because my emotions times a million.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

My wife and i still don't have TVs setup in the new house (even though I'm paying for cable grrrrrrrr) and only have a small Amazon Fire TV setup in the sunroom. For whatever reason, I suggested to her one night we re-watch the first two seasons of Lost. I couldn't get through the first episode. It's NOTHING how I remember.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I waited on Lost. Then as it was airing I kept hearing complaints of vagueness and full episodes of nothing happening. Then my sister bought the box set and my dad started it. I wandered into an episode or two mid way through the show.

Literally nothing happened. I'm fine never starting it. I did think the last episode (I watched the ending because fuck it tell me where this silly shit is going), and yeah, okay, I guess. I'm not gonna waste my time on the rest.

Wait, you were on RT?
    Pantheon, S2 (C. Silverstein, 2023) ☆
    Pantheon, S1 (C. Silverstein, 2022)
    Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garc?a (S. Peckinpah, 1974)
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden, Dragon (A. Lee, 2000)
    Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (J. McNaughton, 1986) ☆
    Blowup (M. Antonioni, 1966) ☆
    Io capitano (M. Garrone, 2023) ☆
    Raging Bull (M. Scorsese, 1980)
    Network (S. Lumet, 1976) ☆
    Sideways (A. Payne, 2004) ☆

First time ☆

Quote Quoting Philip J. Fry (view post)
    Wait, you were on RT?
    Since 2003.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Since 2003.
    Meant DFA.

I remember you since I began posting there.

First time ☆

I forgot where I dropped off in Lost... THink it was sometime in season 4.

Talk about a show that would've benefitted with not having to have so many episodes in a season. I never did finish it or watch the final episode, just read about it.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Meant DFA.

I remember you since I began posting there.
    Yeah I was this fellow called MadMan. He was pretty awful.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Honestly Season 2 of Lost split the fanbase and caused many to quit the show. I stayed.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I forgot where I dropped off in Lost... THink it was sometime in season 4.

Talk about a show that would've benefitted with not having to have so many episodes in a season. I never did finish it or watch the final episode, just read about it.
    4 is the best season because it has the least filler episodes. Network TV really should abandon the 20+ episode season thing, but they won't because advertisers.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Quote Quoting DFA1979 (view post)
    Yeah I was this fellow called MadMan. He was pretty awful.
    MadMan has always been awesome.

First time ☆

I was kind of into Lost for three seasons and then got bored and stopped. Same thing happened with Dexter, Rectified, The Leftovers, Parks and Recreation, The Simpsons, House, Archer, Entourage, Weeds, Person of Interest, Mr. Robot, Treme, Stranger Things, The Americans..... I'm terrible at finishing a series if it does not maintain my complete interest. And many of the shows above I actually like - Archer and Treme in particular, but I just slowly lost interest in keeping up with them.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    I was kind of into Lost for three seasons and then got bored and stopped. Same thing happened with Dexter, Rectified, The Leftovers, Parks and Recreation, The Simpsons, House, Archer, Entourage, Weeds, Person of Interest, Mr. Robot, Treme, Stranger Things, The Americans..... I'm terrible at finishing a series if it does not maintain my complete interest. And many of the shows above I actually like - Archer and Treme in particular, but I just slowly lost interest in keeping up with them.
    It's not you. 99% of TV is mediocre. The quality of programming needs to be better.

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    I am up to date on Stranger Things. I never saw Rectified, Treme or Mr. Robot. I love Archer but I fell behind-I think I am on S5. Dexter I lost interest during S3. Simpsons I just don't care to watch anymore, same goes for House and Weeds. Entourage looking back wasn't that good and I don't care how it ends. Parks & Rec I will see at some point, and the same goes for The Americans. I like TV but I don't love it like I used to-way too many streaming services, shows unfairly getting canceled and the modern golden era clearly being over.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

MadMan has always been awesome.
    That's a beautiful lie.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Speaking of streaming...

Stranger Things

Most of the Netflix shows I don't care to watch, yet Stranger Things grabbed my attention from the very beginning. The Season 1 trailer caught my eye and people buzzing about the show online made me check it out. I stayed up late finishing the show in a matter of days. I didn't go through Season 2 as fast, yet it didn't take me very long to watch that one, either. I only slowly went through Season 3 because it seems like Netflix takes forever to put these out. I have no idea when we will get Season 4, I just know I want it now. This show makes the 1980s seem cooler than it probably was, and the young cast anchors the crazy events that occur.

Nostalgia is a big part of this show, and Season 3 seemed to attack that aspect in certain ways. Growing up can be scary enough without monsters, zombie people and government agents coming after you. A fairly obvious lesson, yet still a good one. I like Lucas the best out of the bunch, followed by Max, Steve, Eleven and Dustin. I have grown to like all of the show's characters one way or another, and seeing Hopper go from the show's pathetic drunk to an obsessive yet caring father was a nice arc, even if he did get really crazy in the last season.

Even though the show will probably end after Season 4 or 5, I would be amused if they kept going into the 1990s. After all next season is the year I was born, and I wager a musical episode would be in the distant future. However it is highly unlikely to ever happen, and some argue the show has already overstayed it's welcome. Maybe they are right, although if they keep making new episodes, I'll keep watching.

Network This Is On: Netflix (I counted it as such).

Favorite Character: Lucas Sinclair although Steve might pull ahead eventually.

Favorite Episode: Chapter Six: The Monster. I don't really have a favorite episode I just picked one.
    Last edited by DFA1979; 08-09-2020 at 06:29 AM.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Imagine sticking with Simpsons past the movie.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Imagine sticking with Simpsons past the movie.
    I'd say past season 11 or 12. The movie was mediocre as fuck.

First time ☆

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    It's not you. 99% of TV is mediocre. The quality of programming needs to be better.
    I think most shows just need to end sooner.

I'd say past season 11 or 12. The movie was mediocre as fuck.
    It was close to terrible, and I had not been watching the show for years even before that. But the show keeps trekking on.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    Its really clear when a show gains popularity and streeeeetttttches in as many seasons as possible.

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    Yep. Also I loved The Simpsons movie and I consider that the end of the show.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12