View Poll Results: The Old Guard

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Endless Never Dying Fun

3 50.00%
  • God Kill me now

3 50.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Old Guard (Gina Prince-Bythewood)

I'm generally not big on McAdams, but I heard she was good in Eurovision.

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    Oh yeah I saw and liked Da Five Bloods. I forgot that was Netflix only. Eurovision looks funny and enjoyable so I'll watch that one sooner or later.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

The actual Eurovision contest is dumb but has a lot of fans and inside stuff, and the best thing about the movie is that it doesn't mock or make fun of it but finds the joy and humor in embracing the silliness. The best scene is the one featuring some of the recent winners and popular contestants, and it's packs more of a punch if you're in the know.

Sent from my Mi 9 Lite using Tapatalk

Producer
    Enjoyed the too infrequent action scenes, especially the finale. But protagonists as almost monotonously serious as this bunch need a good, fun counter-villain, and both the character and Melling's performance just feel all wrong and dull. Theron saves it enough, but I hope the sequel embraces the sillier and funner aspects of this premise more readily. 6/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    MC you've gone soft.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Let's face it, streaming movies will be getting a softer reception for quite some time, everywhere.

Producer
    Sure, that’s why I gave the last two Netflix films I watched before this one... *check rating for Wasp Network and Eurovision* ...both 2.5/5.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    Let's face it, streaming movies will be getting a softer reception for quite some time, everywhere.
    I hate it so much. There's an obvious difference in quality between the kind of fare that makes it to the big screen compared to most of the streaming-only films I've seen.
    This movie was abysmal, clumsy, and it absolutely should not have been, especially since the action itself was the least of my complaints for it. Charlize Theron's acting was discernibly better than those around her. Change up the music, cut out the TERRIBLE villain, and there's a 60 minute movie in here that's actually watchable. I don't know how I made it to the end of this product from Netflix. Just awful.
    Last edited by Mal; 08-15-2020 at 02:08 AM.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Zac Efron (view post)
    I hate it so much. There's an obvious difference in quality between the kind of fare that makes it to the big screen compared to most of the streaming-only films I've seen.
    This movie was abysmal, clumsy, and it absolutely should not have been, especially since the action itself was the least of my complaints for it. Charlize Theron's acting was discernibly better than those around her. Change up the music, cut out the TERRIBLE villain, and there's a 60 minute movie in here that's actually watchable. I don't know how I made it to the end of this product from Netflix. Just awful.
    Finally, someone who agrees.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I already forgot it. That's literally it. There's always more where that came from. The same with "Project Power", and everything else.

I cannot imagine this being worse than Polar.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I cannot imagine this being worse than Polar.
    With Mads Mikklesnon? Yeah Polar was way worse.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    With Mads Mikklesnon? Yeah Polar was way worse.
    Thank God. 'Cause for me, Polar was one of the worst movies I'd ever seen. Holy sweet Jesus that was one awful, mean spirited, ugly movie.

No, this is competently shot, but more like a TV show style action series, and it's by the numbers but it's not mind numbingly bad, just forgettable. If they didn't have Theron and (barely in it) Ejiofor, nobody would care one bit.

I’m with ETM. I’m surprised this movie could inspire such a strong negative reaction. It’s too ‘blah’ for that. Admittedly, it is getting way too much credit generally for clearing Netflix’s low bar for features. But certainly, it’s way more watchable than the 30 minutes I tolerated of their Michael Bay movie.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12