Thread: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (Final Season / 7)

Producer

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (Final Season / 7)

I don't think there are many remaining members who watched this anymore? (Apart from me and Milky Joe, and I don't know if Duke had caught up) But I checked and we have a thread for every season so far, and since the final one started today, let's put it up for one last time.

Man, this being on so long that I watched to the end has me look how many other superhero series I stick with, since I watched and dropped so many (on all sides of Marvel/MCU/DC), and they are Agent Carter, Legion, Watchmen, and The Boys. Most of those are 1-2 seasons though, and the longest, Legion, has a seriously weak final (third) season, so it's a credit to this show that manages to semi-reinvent itself often, to stay mostly lively, fun, and characters-focused enough that I've stayed with it all these years.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I still haven't caught up.

Still on Season 5. But thanks for reminding me. This is one of the few series I am in the middle of watching.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Producer
    Season 6 is a shorter 13 episodes length, so not be as much catch-up as past seasons.

Anyway, this is a confidently clear-staked premiere right off the bat, probably as a result of them mapped and finished filming this season even before Season 6 was finished. The past makes for a refreshing and fun new setting, right down to that 30s-film title card:

[]
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

I need to finish as well. Season six was really weird. I barely know whats even going on anymore lol

Producer
    So this season, at least for the time being, seems to time-travel and stay in an era/decade every few episodes or so. Nifty gimmick.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Producer
    One of the fun things of this final season's time-travel structure is the period-appropriate opening credits, like this week's:

along with specific film/tv riffs from those eras, like the Terminator quote [
    ], and did I spy a split diopter shot of Mack and Jemma at one point? This is pretty much a just ok transition episode after the past two weeks' stellar 50s ones, but the gimmick and touches like these make this season 7 so far one of the breeziest, most effortlessly fun seasons.
    Last edited by Peng; 06-27-2020 at 03:14 PM.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Producer
    I've long held Season 4's "Self-Control" (the ending of LMD robot arc before it transitioned to the Agents of Hydra Framework) as my favorite Agents of SHIELD episode... and I think this latest one ("As I Have Always Been") surpassed it. Just clever, suspenseful, wickedly funny (the montage that ends with "Do we have to be sad about that?" kills me), then heartfelt and ultimately devastating. An instant time-loop story classic.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    I finally blasted through this last season. After what I would deem a slightly underwhelming s6, s7 brought it all back home. This is the second time the show has had a perfect ending. The core, the heart, of the show is Fitzsimmons. It's their arc each season that always grabs me and doesn't let me go, and after building up the mystery for 12 episodes, the final reveal in the last ep of what Jemma went through after season 6 was magic.

Too much to say about how much I love this stupid show. Coulson as Max Headroom? The Deke Squad? I will miss it dearly.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Oh boy. Didn't expect them to take the show into the 30s. I suppose they didn't have much choice.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    I don't think there are many remaining members who watched this anymore? (Apart from me and Milky Joe, and I don't know if Duke had caught up)

manages to semi-reinvent itself often, to stay mostly lively, fun, and characters-focused enough that I've stayed with it all these years.
    Hey I'm caught up!

And yes, the reinvent factor is impressive when they realized at some point in Season 3 they could never keep up with the MCU proper, and kinda had to do things on their own.

I wish I had watched Agent Carter as the new character reveal in this season might have had a bigger impact.

Now we move from the 30s to the 50s with a cute Noir style.kinda love how they are wrapping this up.

Episode 6: makes no sense. The plan is to send a ground assault to the launch pad to place bombs. And instead of sending JOJo who could plant the bombs instantly, you send her to Mallick.

Then when the bomb plan is aborted, they shoot it out of the sky rather easily anyway.

Ok. Is it possible for a series to jump the shark in its final episodes? The 80s episode was shockingly out of place. Did not enjoy any of it.

Finished it. The ladder half episodes I felt were the weakest. Kinda hated the finale.