Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

0 0%
  • Nay

2 100.00%

Thread: Capone (Josh Trank)

Capone (Josh Trank)

Damn. I want to like this because it's so weird but it's too much of a mess. Love Hardy giving it all, though. He redefines "fearless acting". The best I can say about the film itself is that it's occasionally hilarious.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I think I saw someone tweet about it how funny it was. I thought it was hyperbole.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Producer
    I mean, in that tweet the Bugs Bunny voice he made, and the fact that Linda Cardellini "what???"-ed at his unintelligible words, is already pretty funny, and that's before the slapstick of her slaps.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

This means Josh Trank is officially a bad director, right?

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    This means Josh Trank is officially a bad director, right?
    Not necessarily to me. Hes an interesting twitter follow. One of the reasons I like him is his honesty. It sounds like he made exactly the weird movie he set out to make.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Dr. Sizzle, he's speaking his mind.

I get it that studio meddling really sucks, and I feel for filmmakers whose visions are hijacked and they still have to sell the movie like it's the best thing they've ever put their hands on.

But Trank just seems like a prick.

The whole "regular guy done wrong by the Hollywood system" facade is fading. He's just a tool, and no one wants to work with him because of it.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I get it that studio meddling really sucks, and I feel for filmmakers whose visions are hijacked and they still have to sell the movie like it's the best thing they've ever put their hands on.

But Trank just seems like a prick.

The whole "regular guy done wrong by the Hollywood system" facade is fading. He's just a tool, and no one wants to work with him because of it.
    You may be right, I'm not trying to sound like I'm defending him. But...are we just used to puff interviews and Hollywood people always having to be nice? I hate that shit. "Whats it like to work with so and so?" "Hes great, directors great, everyones great, boom guys great..." Bullshit.

I don't know anything much about Trank though...I haven't heard people don't want to work with him? I don't count studios, they don't like anyone with an opinion or anyone who speaks their mind. They only put up with it if you make billion dollar movies like Michael Bay.

There's a difference between having to be nice, and being an outright dick.

Trank had tantrums on the set of F4, would go mope in his trailer for days, trash talked the studio and the people he worked with, and then after it all tried to blame it on inexperience and studio meddling.

If I got stressed out at work and went and locked myself in my office for days, and wrote on the internet how the company I work for and my coworkers are all idiots...pretty sure I'd be seen as an idiot. And rightfully so.

And it's funny you used Bay as an example, because he is a NOTORIOUS asshole. Like, next level, yelling and screaming, name calling asshole. But he never publicly trash talks his coworkers or his employers, even in the times when the film bombs.
    Last edited by megladon8; 06-28-2020 at 07:59 PM.

Also I don't think that having to be falsely positive about your employer / coworkers / projects is something unique to Hollywood and the movie business.

Is there a single industry out there where you can publicly trash talk the people you work with and the project you're working on, and not face consequences?
    Last edited by megladon8; 06-28-2020 at 10:12 PM.

I didn't know all that. I did specifically pick Bay because he is a notorious asshole. But thats part of my point...his movies make a billion dollars so he gets to slide. Trank hasn't done that.

My point was more towards "if you were being mistreated by your employer, wouldn't say so?" Obvs that doesn't cover trashing coworkers, I guess. Again, I'm not defending they guy, I don't know much about him, but solely in the context of the above tweets, what do I care if the guy rips back at some no name twitter asshole? I've decided I'm not going to respond to any person on social that doesn't put their name to their profile. Sick of anonymous nobodies acting tough when they are too cowardly to put their name on it. Too many cowards out there that aren't nearly afraid enough of getting punched in the face when some absolutely deserve it. And maybe Trank does to, I don't know anything.

Fuck off Skitch.

If you were here I'd punch you in the face.

At the risk of sounding like an old man here I think the problem is social media itself. Lots of people have impulsive personalities or distressing moments where they feel anger and curse at co-workers and bosses. But now when Josh Trank feels that way, thanks to Twitter, the whole world finds out.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    At the risk of sounding like an old man here I think the problem is social media itself. Lots of people have impulsive personalities or distressing moments where they feel anger and curse at co-workers and bosses. But now when Josh Trank feels that way, thanks to Twitter, the whole world finds out.
    Meh. Even without twitter have you ever heard someone in an interview respond to criticism by listing all the critics that praised their work?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Meh. Even without twitter have you ever heard someone in an interview respond to criticism by listing all the critics that praised their work?
    What he's doing is pathetic, no doubt. Even Michael Cimino, who buried an entire era of Hollywood with his box office and critical failure, sucked it up and kept working.

Producer
    It's one thing to impulsively respond to troll-ish criticism, but putting that "knock you the fuck out" response up on your own instagram later is... another, like gloating for world to look at how tough you are. (And the second one is just cringe-y tacky) Meg is right that this goes beyond "not having to be nice" personality into just plain toxic guy in general.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Fuck off Skitch.

If you were here I'd punch you in the face.
    Um...okay lol. I...wasnt attacking you...or at least didnt mean to make you feel I was.

- - - - -
    Dude he was obviously joking.

Nobody in their right mind would threaten a guy with superpowers.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Dude he was obviously joking.
    I know he wasnt being serious.

Was 100% joking, sorry Skitch.

Was 100% joking, sorry Skitch.
    You're fine, I got it.

Layers of irony!