Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Words

Words

I don't know about you, but I love words. I love the type of words that when you read them feel like you're biting into a giant loaf of bread. Please post whatever dime, quarter, half-dollar*, dollar, three-dollar words that catch your fancy. To kick off, I came across an article using the word "subcutaneous," which just sounds lush and a little bit dirty. Definition: situated or applied under the skin. Etymology: from the Latin sub (under or below) and cutis (the skin). Taking some transliterational liberties: Beneath the Skin. Which we should all have watched by now.

To be clear: this is not meant to be a pissing contest about who has the biggest vocabulary. Instead, it's meant to be a thread where we put up some interesting words and try to figure out why they're interesting. This absolutely includes non-English words that can be explained in English (bc this is the shitty language we all converse in). Of course, if there happens to be a bit of vernacular grandstanding, that's to be expected... this is a message board after all.

So let's affiliate around Appolonious expression!

* half-dollar ain't such a bad word itself.
    Stuff I've Watched out of *****

The Last Duel - ***
    Only Murders in the Building: **
    Squid Games: **.5

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I like "Behooves".
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I use the phrase "in cahoots" every conceivable chance I get. (It is also technically correct to say "they have/are a cahoot," but my guess is you'd get funny looks.)

Example:
    []

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    I use the phrase "in cahoots" every conceivable chance I get. (It is also technically correct to say "they have/are a cahoot," but my guess is you'd get funny looks.)

Example:
    []
    I was looking up the etymology and apparently it comes from two French words that mean hut. More interesting is the example sentence Merriam Webster a gives:

"In contrast, Nora and her foul-mouthed grandma are often in cahoots."
    — Inkoo Kang, The Hollywood Reporter, "Critic's Notebook: 'Awkwafina Is Nora From Queens' and the Freshness of Angst-Free Asian Americans," 26 Feb. 2020

The Last Duel - ***

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I like "Behooves".
    Exactly! What else would we call the feet of a bee?

The Last Duel - ***

I like the word "jackassery".

Quote Quoting quido8_5 (view post)
    Exactly! What else would we call the feet of a bee?
    Sometimes a word comes along and fills a conceptual/practical void. Thank the lord for behooves.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I like the word "jackassery".
    Curious about the etymology for this one.

It's probably not even an accepted word, but if information is conveyed, and vocabulary is understood, isnt that enough for language?

I've always been a fan of the word copacetic. The fact that it is a fancy word that is derived from French Creole makes me love it all the more.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

It's probably not even an accepted word, but if information is conveyed, and vocabulary is understood, isnt that enough for language?
    Bingo. I like Meriam-Webster's definition: "a piece of stupidity or folly : DOLTISHNESS". Couldn't find etymology, but I think it's safe to assume it was probably a really pissed off and exasperated mother of two boys.

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    I've always been a fan of the word copacetic. The fact that it is a fancy word that is derived from French Creole makes me love it all the more.
    Word! I use copacetic on the regular. Didn't know about the derivation-- that's so cool!

The Last Duel - ***

I find reasons to use apoplectic all the time, but I always get side-eye like I'm trying to sound smart and have a word-of-the-day calendar so I dont.

Producer
    "Verklempt" is such an apt, vivid word for its meaning, but I always forget to use it.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Verklempt sounds like what it means. I love it. Also, cannot hear it without thinking about Coffee Talk.

Apoplectic is a great word and also expresses a fairly specific emotion. People can be stupid when they're insecure. That being said, "side eye" is a pretty great phrase in itself.

The Last Duel - ***

Schadenfreude

Quote Quoting kuehnepips (view post)
    Schadenfreude
    Yup.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

Speaking of words, my MC Handle was my IRC handle back in the 90s. I chose it because Spun and I at the time had determined bacon to be the funniest sounding word in the English language (especially when Spun employs his Phillip Barcudia accent). #themoreyouknow
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    I've always been found of "marvelous." It just rolls off the tongue.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Speaking of words, my MC Handle was my IRC handle back in the 90s. I chose it because Spun and I at the time had determined bacon to be the funniest sounding word in the English language (especially when Spun employs his Phillip Barcudia accent). #themoreyouknow
    That's funny, because now-a-days I think the word "butt" is much funnier. You should change your name to that.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

Bac0nButt

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    Bac0nA$$
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Started watching Stranger Things season three (after skipping season two) and a very interesting word popped out in one of the episodes: apophenia. M-W defines it as: "the tendency to perceive a connection or meaningful pattern between unrelated or random things (such as objects or ideas), [and] gives rise to conspiracy theories." Interestingly enough, it was first coined by psychologists around 1980 to define people who see patterns where one does not exists. The article below discusses current research in this area where those with apophenia are "more receptive to pseudo-profound bullshit."

https://www.psypost.org/2018/11/peop...bullshit-52657

At first I thought this had to be some kind of Onion-like prank, but I looked into it and found the study the article references. The actual title of the actual research study is: Openness/Intellect and Susceptibility to Pseudo-Profound Bullshit: A Replication and Extension. This is, indeed, a field of research and has been since around 1986, when the idea of "bullshit" was first researched and individual differences were found in "bullshit receptivity." The article defines pseudo-profound bullshit (PPBS) as "any statement designed to inspire feelings of profundity without any direct concern for meaning or truth, with profundity defined as something ‘of deep meaning.'"

Example: 'Hidden meaning transforms unparalleled abstract beauty.’
    Non-example: ‘Unparalleled transforms meaning hidden abstract’.

Both are meaningless, but the former has a syntactic structure and we want to attach meaning to it. The latter, on the other hand, doesn't have abide by the rules of syntax and easily identified as meaningless.
    Last edited by quido8_5; 05-14-2021 at 06:52 PM.

The Last Duel - ***

I find the word "crisp" super satisfying to say.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I find the word "crisp" super satisfying to say.
    I'm trying to think of something that isn't good crisp...bacon, lettuce, cookies...

I'm trying to think of something that isn't good crisp...bacon, lettuce, cookies...
    Ummm...bowel movement?
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Ummm...bowel movement?
    ffs lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast