Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Ten-Years-Later Match Cut Consensus - 2010

There's moments of greatness in all of the Malick movies I've seen, but I never understood the love for Tree of Life's meandering. Give me Days of Heaven or Badlands over anything else of his. Thin Red Line and New World each have moments of greatness too, but I'm not wanting to ever rewatch those two.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Every Malick movie except for Knight of Cups is good or great.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

I, admittedly, have not seen a lot of Malick. Half of Thin Red Line (turned off), Brave New World was beautiful to look at I guess, and Tree of Life.

Mentally I kind of put him in same camp with John Waters. I'm not their biggest fan in the world, but I recognize that they are doing original art that is definitely their vision, and for that I root for them.

Quote Quoting Lazlo (view post)
    Every Malick movie except for Knight of Cups is good or great.
    Amen. A Hidden Life is the best film of 2019. A year that also included Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Parasite and The Irishman fwiw.

If I went to the multiplex (remember those?) and the option was a new Malick, a new PTA, or a new Nolan and I knew zilch about them and read zero reviews. Didn't even know the title. I would go Malick, PTA, Nolan in that order. Obviously, I'd love to see all three of them. Inherent Vice specifically is shockingly boringly directed for a film by such an acclaimed maverick. So many scenes of people sitting in rooms talking with MCU shot/reverse shot set-ups. But I like The Master and Phantom Thread just fine.
    Last edited by Pop Trash; 05-20-2020 at 07:22 PM.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    Inherent Vice specifically is shockingly boringly directed for a film by such an acclaimed maverick.
    ...another blind buy sitting on my shelf lol

It's not his best work, but I still enjoyed Inherent Vice. *shrug*

By director:

Malick
    Badlands (1973) spicy
    Days of Heaven (1978) spicy
    The Thin Red Line (1998) warm
    The New World (2005) warm
    The Tree of Life (2011) warm
    To the Wonder (2012) warm

Anderson
    Hard Eight (1996) warm
    Boogie Nights (1997) spicy
    Magnolia (1999) spicy
    Punch-Drunk Love (2002) spicy
    There Will Be Blood (2007) warm
    The Master (2012) warm
    Phantom Thread (2017) warm

Nolan
    Memento (2000) mild
    Insomnia (2002) cold
    Batman Begins (2005) cold
    The Prestige (2006) cold
    The Dark Knight (2008) cold
    Inception (2010) mild
    The Dark Knight Rises (2012) cold
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I, admittedly, have not seen a lot of Malick. Half of Thin Red Line (turned off), Brave New World was beautiful to look at I guess, and Tree of Life.

Mentally I kind of put him in same camp with John Waters. I'm not their biggest fan in the world, but I recognize that they are doing original art that is definitely their vision, and for that I root for them.
    You might like Badlands and Days of Heaven better since those films have a particularity reminiscent of Flannery O'Connor, whereas the later films (or at least those I've seen) are, for better or for worse, movies made by a guy who's read a lot of Heidegger (and occasionally translated Heidegger into English)--a fact that accounts for both the films' sensuous immediacy and their abstraction, which tends to preclude historical specificity, characters, and narrative development in favour of timeless archetypes (e.g., his treatment of Pocahontas not as a historical figure who can be named in the dialogue but as the personification of the Weltgeist).
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

I've had no reason to not see them. They've been the highest talked about since I ever heard his name. I just haven't come across them. I will.

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    In terms of their output right now, PTA >>>> Nolan >>>>>>>>>> Malick
    Eh, regarding PTA vs. Nolan specifically, when it comes to their most recent efforts, I'm definitely in the latter's corner, as I feel Dunkirk is one of his best movies, as well as the best movie I've seen from 2017, period, while I felt Phantom Thread was somewhat overrated in general. I mean, don't get me wrong, it was pretty good on the whole, but I still felt that maybe Anderson took the criticisms that There Will Be Blood was overly bombastic too much to heart (criticisms that I mostly disagree with, as it's the best film I've seen from him so far), and he decided to over-correct in his next colloboration with DDL as a response, as Thread just felt too... restrained in its overall sensibilities to ignite the sort of passion in me that it has with a lot of other people. I'd say that even the most striking scene in the film, the one where [
    ]
    Last edited by StuSmallz; 05-21-2020 at 07:52 AM.

I like all three of the directors everyone is discussing and I have owned movies from each one of them: Inception, Memento, Badlands and Magnolia.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

#10. 13 Assassins

No mercy! There's no samurai code or fair play in battle! No sword? Use a stick. No stick? Use a rock. No rock? Use your fists and feet! Lose your life, but make the enemy pay!

Ruling is convenient, but only for rulers. The people must live to serve.

Directed by Takashi Miike
    Japan
    A group of assassins come together for a suicide mission to kill an evil lord.

Awards
    Best Production Designer (Yuji Hayashida), Asian Film Awards
    Best Cinematography (Nobuyasu Kita), Best Lighting, Best Art Direction (Yuji Hayashida), Best Sound (Jun Nakamura)
    Best Foreign Film, Las Vegas Film Critics Society Awards
    Best Cinematography (Nobuyasu Kita), Best Supporting Actor (Goro Inagaki), Best Director (Takashi Miike), Mainichi Film Concours
    Top Five Foreign Language Films from the National Board of Review, USA

It's classic samurai action movie, and one of the best the genre has to offer in years. Miike shows a veteran's sure hand in the first half, showing his grasp on dramatic shifts that he so rarely gets credit for. Then he cranks the pace to 11 in that 50 minute set piece.-- number8

13 Assassins looks at honour from many angles, without becoming simplistic. Ichii hasn't lost his edge after all. -- Paul Byrnes
    Last edited by Grouchy; 05-24-2020 at 07:55 AM.

#12. The Ghost Writer

A less equable man than I might start to feel your questions impertinent.

Directed by Roman Polanski
    France / Germany / UK
    A ghost writer, hired to complete the memoirs of a former British Prime Minister, uncovers secrets that put his own life in jeopardy.

Awards
    Best Director (Roman Polanski), Berlin Film Festival
    Best Director, Best Music (Alexandre Desplat), Best Editing (Hervé de Luze), Best Adapted Screenplay (Robert Harris and Roman Polanski), César Awards
    Best Original Score for a Thriller (Alexandre Desplat), International Film Music Critics Awards
    Best Actor (Pierce Brosnan), Irish Film and TV Awards
    Most Underrated Film, Internet Film Critic Society

Polanski knows the rules of the thriller upside and down, and he has an amazing control of the audience - he doesn't cheat, he doesn't aim for shocks, he trusts their intelligence and he manages to make the only thrilling thriller I've seen in recent years. -- Grouchy

Whether or not Polanski fully grasps the moral of his own excellent film remains to be seen. -- Peter Bradshaw, The Guardian

#11. Meek's Cutoff

Workin' like niggers, once again.

Directed by Kelly Reichardt
    US
    Settlers travelling through the Oregon desert in 1845 find themselves stranded in harsh conditions.

Awards
    Producers Award (Anish Savjani), Independent Spirit Awards
    Best Director (Kelly Reichardt), Gijón International Film Festival
    SIGNIS Award (Kelly Reichardt), Venice Film Festival
    Best Western Drama Screenplay (Jonathan Raymond), Western Writers of America
    Invisible Woman Award (Michelle Williams), Women Film Critics Circle Awards

Meek's Cutoff could be the most understated, and historically accurate, horror film in history. It's both the scariest and most poetic film of the year. -- Felicia Feaster, Charleston City Paper

#9. Shutter Island

Which would be worse - to live as a monster, or to die as a good man?

Directed by Martin Scorsese
    USA
    In 1954, a U.S. Marshall investigates the disappearance of a murderer who escaped the hospital for the criminally insane.
    Best Art Direction (Dante Ferretti), Circuit Community Awards
    Dario Penne for dubbing Ben Kingsley, Gran Premio Internazionale del Doppiaggio
    Best Actor (Leonardo Di Caprio), Italian Online Movie Awards
    Best Scream-play (Laeta Kalogridis), Scream Movie Awards
    Best Production Design (Dante Ferretti), San Diego Film Critics Society Awards

I seem to expect a lot more from Scorsese. Maybe it's my problem and not the movie's, but it made this a big disappointment. One thing I can say for sure - I never felt for the main character. I didn't feel the reality of his conflict, I just saw him as a tool in the middle of a psychological thriller. -- Grouchy (I LOVE THIS MOVIE NOW)

Gorgeously lurid, with a strong undercurrent of genuine melancholy and a sense of loss and regret infused into every scene. -- transmogrifier

Part gothic horror and part Hitchcockian nightmare, Shutter Island is bold, atmospheric and hugely entertaining. -- Nikki Baughan
    Last edited by Grouchy; 05-24-2020 at 08:53 AM.

I'm super late....

1. Tucker and Dale vs Evil
    2. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
    3. 13 Assassins
    4. The Social Network
    5. Toy Story 3
    6. The Runaways
    7. Easy A
    8. Super
    9. Kick-Ass
    10. I Saw the Devil

#7. Toy Story 3

Now Woody, he's been my pal for as long as I can remember. He's brave, like a cowboy should be. And kind, and smart. But the thing that makes Woody special, is he'll never give up on you... ever. He'll be there for you, no matter what.

Directed by Lee Unkrich
    USA
    The toys are mistakenly delivered to a day-care center instead of the attic right before Andy leaves for college, and it's up to Woody to convince the other toys that they weren't abandoned and to return home.

Awards
    Best Animated Feature Film, Best Song (Randy Newman), Academy Awards
    Best Animated Film, Golden Globes
    Best Animated Feature Film, BAFTA Awards
    Best Animated Film, Saturn Awards
    Tokyo Anime Award of the Year for Lee Unkrich

It feels like an updated polished version of The Brave Little Toaster with similar climaxes (a lot of Pixar staff also worked on Toaster). -- Watashi

It takes a kind of genius to combine a children's movie for grown-ups and a grown-up's movie for children in one glittering digimated package, yet the folks at Pixar have done it time and again. -- Anthony Quinn, Independent (UK)
    Last edited by Grouchy; 05-24-2020 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Quoting Rico (view post)
    I'm super late....

1. Tucker and Dale vs Evil
    2. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
    3. 13 Assassins
    4. The Social Network
    5. Toy Story 3
    6. The Runaways
    7. Easy A
    8. Super
    9. Kick-Ass
    10. I Saw the Devil
    DUDES. I was on a roll but this vote changes EVERYTHING. What shall I do?

EDIT: All right, I counted it in and made the appropriate changes.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 05-24-2020 at 07:50 AM.

#8. Exit Through the Gift Shop

I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore.

Directed by Bansky
    UK
    Following the style of some of the world's most prolific street artists, an amateur filmmaker makes a foray into the art world.

Awards
    Outstanding Achievement in Editing & Non-Fiction Filmmaking, Cinema Eye Honors Awards
    Best Documentary, Independent Spirit Awards
    Best Documentary, Oklahoma Film Critics Circle Award
    Best Documentary, Best First Feature, TIFF Awards
    Best Documentary, Indiewire Critic's Poll

Bansky exposes the con job that is modern art for what it is. -- Roger Moore, Movie Nation

Producer
    I watched Meek's Cutoff for the first time yesterday. Didn't crack my top 10, but it's around #20, and may be my favorite Reichardt yet. (Need to rewatch Certain Women to make sure though)
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

#6. Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives

I couldn't have experienced this if I hadn't mated with a monkey ghost.

Directed by Apichatpong Weerasethakul
    Thailand
    Dying of kidney disease, a man spends his last, somber days with family, including the ghost of his wife and a forest spirit who used to be his son.

Awards
    Best Film, Asian Film Awards
    Best Film from Cahiers du Cinéma
    Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival
    Best Film, Sitges Fantastic Film Festival
    Yoga Awards for Worst Producer

It's amazing how Weerasethakul makes his character feel so alive and fully rounded despite spending relatively little time developing them. I credit his wonderful ability for creating moods with the soundtrack and environments- the incessant chirping crickets and birds in the forest, the low rumbling sound in the mysterious cave- which helps one feel with the characters. -- StanleyK

As is to be expected, Weerasethakul frequently abandons the story for trancelike contemplations of nature, but never before in his work has the device felt more purposeful -- Ben Sachs, Chicago Reader

#5. Certified Copy

If we were a bit more tolerant of each other's weaknesses, we'd be less alone.

Directed by Abbas Kiarostami
    France / Italy
    In Tuscany to promote his latest book, a middle-aged British writer meets a French woman who leads him into the village of Lucignano.

Awards:
    Best Actress (Juliette Binoche), Award of the Youth (Abbas Kiarostami), Cannes
    Best Actress (Juliette Binoche), Hawaii Film Critics Association
    Kosnorama Award, Trondheim International Film Festival
    Best Film, Valladolid International Film Festival
    Best Foreign Language Film, San Francisco Film Critics Circle

The basic plot - a man and a woman traveling and talking - is reminiscent of Richard Linklater's Before Sunrise/Before Sunset films, but the way in which Certified Copy calls into question the nature of reality is more akin to Inception.​-- James Berardinelli

#4. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

Directed by Edgar Wright
    UK
    Scott Pilgrim must defeat his new ex-girlfriend's seven evil exes in order to win her heart.

Awards:
    Best Director (Edgar Wright), Empire Awards
    Best Comic Book Movie & Best Fight Scene of the Year, Scream Awards
    Best Title Sequence, Online Film & Television Association
    Best Actor (Michael Cera), Satellite Awards

Full of fresh, sharp touches and nonchalantly brash performances, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World consistently hits the sweet spot. -- Tom Charity, CNN

#3. Black Swan

Directed by Darren Aranofsky
    USA
    A committed dancer struggles with her sanity after winning the lead role in a production of Tchaikovsky's "Swan Lake".

Awards
    Best Actress (Natalie Portman), Academy Awards
    Best Performance (Natalie Portman), Golden Globes
    Best Actress (Natalie Portman), BAFTA Awards
    Best Film, Rondo Hatton Classic Horror Film Award
    Marcello Mastroianni Best Actress Award (Mila Kunis), Venice Film Festival

...I'm the only one less interested in boobies and more interested in whether or not she turns into a freaking swan??? -- Mara

Full of sex, drugs, catfights, violence, hallucinations and even some choice girl-on-girl action. What more could you possibly want from a ballet movie? -- Jim Schembry, The Age

#2. Inception

What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea. Resilient... highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it's almost impossible to eradicate. An idea that is fully formed - fully understood - that sticks; right in there somewhere.

Directed by Christopher Nolan
    USA / UK
    A thief who steals corporate secrets through the use of dream-sharing technology is given the inverse task of planting the idea into the mind of a C.E.O.

Awards
    Best Cinematography (Wally Pfister), Best Sound & Visual Effects, Academy Awards
    Best American Film, Danish Film Awards
    Best Film, Empire Awards UK
    Best International Films, Rembrandt Awards
    Outstanding Models, Miniatures & Compositing, Visual Effects Society Awards

This endlessly fascinating swirl of a film could have come only from Nolan, who blends the cerebral twistiness of Memento (his thriller that moves backward in time) with the spectacular action of his Batman megahit, The Dark Knight .. Caryn James, Newsday

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast