Thread: Going Through The Backlog Or I Bought Way Too Many Movies

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Cornetto Trilogy

Finally I watched The World's End. I had seen the others before, although it had been a while since I had last seen Shaun of the Dead. I love this trilogy dearly, as it is funny, entertaining, and mostly great batch of movies. Edgar Wright is a unique talent who so far in my opinion has yet to make a bad or poor film, and I look forward to whatever he does next.

Shaun of the Dead (2004)

I did a review of Wright's zombie romcom for the Corrino years ago, so this is covering similar ground. Nick Frost and Simon Pegg are perfect together, and their interactions are priceless. I like how SOTD pays homage to the zombie genre while also making fun of such classics as Night of the Living Dead and Let Sleeping Corpses Lie. Oh and this flick has a surprising amount of gore and mayhem-at least more than I remember. My favorite joke is still "You've got red on you."

Hot Fuzz (2007)

This is the gem of the entire series, mostly because it is highly entertaining and also for the awesome number of action movie references. There is even a David Lynch homage that is cleverly included. I keep laughing at the "Greater good" line, which I noted recently in another thread is unfortunately still relevant. Frost and Pegg had their best chemistry in this one.

The World's End (2013)

Maybe it is because Pegg's Gary is a tad cringe worthy in this one, or perhaps events take too long to get rolling. I donno but while I did like this one I didn't love it like the others. Still there is a lot of good humor in The World's End, and I can relate to getting dragged into something crazy by that one friend we all have. The robots were a neat touch, and I liked when Frost's Andy went crazy on a bunch of them. Perhaps a later rewatch will change my mind on this one. I donno.

Overall: Loads of awesome. I got this in one of those "Three in one" blu ray collections at Half Price Books. Yet each of them have plenty of bonus features. Glad I grabbed it.
    Last edited by MadMan; 05-04-2020 at 06:00 AM.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?