View Poll Results: Yay/Nay

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Going Up

5 83.33%
  • Going down!

1 16.67%

Thread: The Platform (Galder Gaztelu-Urrutia)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar

The Platform (Galder Gaztelu-Urrutia)

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Surprised there wasn't a thread for this yet. My kind of premise. But all interesting premises like this don't know how to end. This doesn't break the rule. It ends horribly.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Surprised there wasn't a thread for this yet. My kind of premise. But all interesting premises like this don't know how to end. This doesn't break the rule. It ends horribly.
    I have to agree. It was a good movie but it seemed to think we gave a shit about the woman's child when that was the blurriest, most confused part of the plot. But still, the overall take is positive - a lot of WTF moments and a great premise. "Obviously".

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Yeah this is a movie where the ambiguity of a "poetic" ending doesn't work because the cutaways to the above kitchen lose all mystery as to the mechanics of where things lead. Otherwise, I thought this was pretty effective and strikes that rare chord of being fun despite being so morbid and dour. I like that its allegory basically ceases to become one because of how obvious it's physically constructed and discussed, almost as if the designers of the facility in the world of the film did it entirely as a malicious joke of a social experiment.

Like I said in the Ema thread, I saw this on my final day of my busiest TIFF ever last year, so re-watching sections of this on Netflix (which I don't normally do, but I missed the first few minutes of the screening) felt like a fresh experience since the gift and the curse of seeing so much at a festival is I remember the impact the films did or didn't have on me but rarely many of the specifics.

I am impressed at just how many people seemed to have watched this since in a pre-Netflix world a distributor would've probably simply acquired it to bury it and remake it in English. So it's nice to have the very obvious reminder that people will happily watch something with subtitles if it's interesting and distributed with actual fanfare to let its existence be known.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Quote Quoting Henry Gale (view post)
    I am impressed at just how many people seemed to have watched this since in a pre-Netflix world a distributor would've probably simply acquired it to bury it and remake it in English. So it's nice to have the very obvious reminder that people will happily watch something with subtitles if it's interesting and distributed with actual fanfare to let its existence be known.
    I'm curious as to how many people actually watched it in Spanish. Netflix default played it in dubbed English for me and I had to manually switch to the Spanish audio track. I doubt most people would have bothered to do so.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Quote Quoting Lazlo (view post)
    I'm curious as to how many people actually watched it in Spanish. Netflix default played it in dubbed English for me and I had to manually switch to the Spanish audio track. I doubt most people would have bothered to do so.
    Defaulted for Spanish for me.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Defaulted for Spanish for me.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Maybe I should check my settings.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd