Page 45 of 86 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 2139

Thread: COVID-19

Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    The masks are political. Social distancing is political. The lockdowns were political. All of these catchy little slogans such “we’re all in this together” are political. None of it was ever about health, and every other week the new information coming out on the virus and how to take precautions was constantly contradicting itself anyhow. Remember earlier on when they said that wearing masks was actually more harmful? Because I sure as shit do. And then the fact that all the rules regarding the virus suddenly no longer apply if it involves protests with thousands of people on the streets in incredibly close proximity to one another only further proves that it’s all only ever been about politics.
    No offense, but it's shit takes like this that make it political. In Korea, we wore masks to reduce the chance of transmission, and it worked, and everyone got on with their lives and didn't make it a partisan shit-fight. There are conversations to be had about how to deal with pandemics, what measures to take, how to balance public health vs the economy etc. That is fundamental to living in a society. But people like you want to weaponize every fucking thing as yet another parry in the great political war that is American politics, so now you have people who claim to be for personal freedom harassing people on the street for wearing whatever the fuck they want on their face, complaining when companies exercise their right to set their own rules for customers, and a President with the gall to say wearing a mask is a sign of disapproval of him and nothing more. That's on you, and people like you.

Edit: Just so you don't misunderstand - you have every right to believe that the pandemic measures were overly strict, or not required, or whatever. That is a valid discussion that adults can have in countries where half the population doesn't despise the other half. But the phrases above are YOU making this shit political, by ascribing actions to ulterior motives to further the political divide and destroy any pretense of an adult conversation. YOU are the problem you are complaining about.
    Last edited by transmogrifier; 06-20-2020 at 02:58 AM.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    a President with the gall to say wearing a mask is a sign of disapproval of him and nothing more.
    One thing I will say about Trump - he seems to never hit rock bottom. I hadn't heard that one yet.

Thank you trans. I’m sick and fucking tired of trying to explain this shit to people.

EDIT: and Irish, and duke, etc.
    Last edited by Scar; 06-20-2020 at 03:09 PM.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

And expect a sharp uptick in cases four weeks after the protests. But hey, we live in an instant gratification society, so COVID should show up instantly.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Red States in a nutshell

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    No offense, but it's shit takes like this that make it political. In Korea, we wore masks to reduce the chance of transmission, and it worked, and everyone got on with their lives and didn't make it a partisan shit-fight. There are conversations to be had about how to deal with pandemics, what measures to take, how to balance public health vs the economy etc. That is fundamental to living in a society. But people like you want to weaponize every fucking thing as yet another parry in the great political war that is American politics, so now you have people who claim to be for personal freedom harassing people on the street for wearing whatever the fuck they want on their face, complaining when companies exercise their right to set their own rules for customers, and a President with the gall to say wearing a mask is a sign of disapproval of him and nothing more. That's on you, and people like you.

Edit: Just so you don't misunderstand - you have every right to believe that the pandemic measures were overly strict, or not required, or whatever. That is a valid discussion that adults can have in countries where half the population doesn't despise the other half. But the phrases above are YOU making this shit political, by ascribing actions to ulterior motives to further the political divide and destroy any pretense of an adult conversation. YOU are the problem you are complaining about.
    This is so dead on I want to send it to my family.

It's political when the "experts" (left leaning of course) start spewing nonsense like "racism is a bigger virus" i/r/t protests. Conflating a literal novel coranavirus with a figurative "virus." The "experts" and left threw out any mandate they had. I also think TGM had a point. They were saying don't wear masks in March and April ... then suddenly in May and June reversed course. The WHO has put out CCP misinformation. There's still not a consensus about where COVID started. First they were like "totally not in a Wuhan lab" now they are starting to question that. It's understandable people think the "experts" are full of shit, when they kind of are.

I also have a big issue with what is considered "essential." Governors are killing small, local businesses that could have easily stayed open, practiced social distancing, required masks to come in (back when "they" were telling us not to use masks), and cut down on their capacity for the past four months. But NOPE they were not essential. Meanwhile your Wal-Marts, Safeways, Targets, Costcos, and most especially the giant behemoth of multinational capitalism that is Amazon stayed open and kept making money.

Here's Greenwald's article about the hypocrisy from the left on this issue.
    https://theintercept.com/2020/06/11/...ss-gatherings/
    Last edited by Pop Trash; 06-20-2020 at 05:32 PM.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    They were saying don't wear masks in March and April because we needed them for the front line workers. Not because it was "more harmful" to wear them.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    They were saying don't wear masks in March and April because we needed them for the front line workers. Not because it was "more harmful" to wear them.
    Nope. They said masks were not needed unless you were in proximity (like living with someone) that had COVID. This is why there is a lack of trust in the "experts."

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    Nope. They said masks were not needed unless you were in proximity (like living with someone) that had COVID. This is why there is a lack of trust in the "experts."
    You're conflating facemasks and respirators. Respirators protect the individual wearing it, facemasks protect others as a means of source control. Respirators were and continue to be unnecessary unless spending prolonged time in close proximity with someone who is suspected or confirmed to have COVID.

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    You're conflating facemasks and respirators. Respirators protect the individual wearing it, facemasks protect others as a means of source control. Respirators were and continue to be unnecessary unless spending prolonged time in close proximity with someone who is suspected or confirmed to have COVID.
    Nope. You're gaslighting.

“There’s no reason to be walking around with a mask,” Fauci told 60 Minutes on CBS during an interview that aired March 8. “When you’re in the middle of an outbreak, wearing a mask might make people feel a little bit better and it might even block a droplet, but it’s not providing the perfect protection that people think that it is. And, often, there are unintended consequences—people keep fiddling with the mask and they keep touching their face.”

https://gizmodo.com/dr-fauci-made-th...ing-1844050358

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Nope. You're gaslighting.

“There’s no reason to be walking around with a mask,” Fauci told 60 Minutes on CBS during an interview that aired March 8. “When you’re in the middle of an outbreak, wearing a mask might make people feel a little bit better and it might even block a droplet, but it’s not providing the perfect protection that people think that it is. And, often, there are unintended consequences—people keep fiddling with the mask and they keep touching their face.”

https://gizmodo.com/dr-fauci-made-th...ing-1844050358
    No. I'm educating. What you cited was nearly 3 months ago. Dr. Fauci has learned of the benefits of universal facemasking to slow the spread. I hope you can too.

Fauci aside (as if hes the be all end all of intelligence in the field), the rest of the world seems to believe facemasks are the way to go.

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    No. I'm educating. What you cited was nearly 3 months ago. Dr. Fauci has learned of the benefits of universal facemasking to slow the spread. I hope you can too.
    How the absolute fuck did the expert of experts Dr. Fauci not know this back in March? Really? Are you kidding me? This guy has been studying this for decades and he's like "ehhh just kidding let's wear a mask now." Do you not understand how this would cause a lack of trust in "experts?" Plus people with MDs acting like protests are fine if it's for a good cause? How can anyone not think this has been politicized? I've had doctors nearly kill my parents with their "expert" educating (read: misdiagnosis), so forgive me if I'm a little salty about the subject.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Even when they were saying you don't need to wear a face mask, I understood that as as a veiled "Don't start stockpiling face masks like you've been stockpiling toilet paper until we have enough for hospital workers and front-line workers." (There was an article in the conservative National Review a few days ago in which Fauci is quoted as copping to this.)
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

I'm skeptical of anyone who enters the orb of Trump's stupidity.

Fauci has since been quoted as saying they didn’t recommend masks because of the shortages. Because we all see how rational people have been behaving during this.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I'm skeptical of anyone who enters the orb of Trump's stupidity.
    Hasn't he been doing this job since 1984? Technically Trump entered his orb.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    Hasn't he been doing this job since 1984? Technically Trump entered his orb.
    And he immediately became questionable. Its Trump's mutant power. Look at this page alone! He recommends masks, then he doesn't, then admits he changed because of people making runs on materials...that the decision wasn't based in health.

My overarching point is that when so much misinformation is coming from "experts" (WHO, Dr. Fauci, doctors and scientists with a social justice axe to grind, governors) the public loses trust in them.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

And I’ll reiterate: this is an instant gratification society. Everyone expects IMMEDIATE answers for everything. Oh, a brand new virus? Sure, we expect to know everything about it immediately.

For fuck’s sake, people.

How the absolute fuck did the expert of experts Dr. Fauci not know this back in March? Really? Are you kidding me? This guy has been studying this for decades and he's like "ehhh just kidding let's wear a mask now." Do you not understand how this would cause a lack of trust in "experts?" Plus people with MDs acting like protests are fine if it's for a good cause? How can anyone not think this has been politicized? I've had doctors nearly kill my parents with their "expert" educating (read: misdiagnosis), so forgive me if I'm a little salty about the subject.
    The global educational process for COVID has been a difficult one for experts and non-experts alike, and it's clearly one you have taken very personally. I don't think I can assuage your frustrations, certainly not in this forum. So I wish you luck in navigating this on your own. I don't plan on debating various opinions about what Dr. Fauci should or should not have known or said in the early stages of the outbreak. I just wanted to make sure everyone here knew the difference between a facemask and a respirator.

I'm sorry to hear about your parents.

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    And I’ll reiterate: this is an instant gratification society. Everyone expects IMMEDIATE answers for everything. Oh, a brand new virus? Sure, we expect to know everything about it immediately.

For fuck’s sake, people.
    Exactly.

It's political when the "experts" (left leaning of course) start spewing nonsense like "racism is a bigger virus" i/r/t protests. Conflating a literal novel coranavirus with a figurative "virus." The "experts" and left threw out any mandate they had. I also think TGM had a point. They were saying don't wear masks in March and April ... then suddenly in May and June reversed course. The WHO has put out CCP misinformation. There's still not a consensus about where COVID started. First they were like "totally not in a Wuhan lab" now they are starting to question that. It's understandable people think the "experts" are full of shit, when they kind of are.
    Bullshit political, anti-science posturing right here. If experts are full of shit, guess what you are on the same topic?

I also have a big issue with what is considered "essential." Governors are killing small, local businesses that could have easily stayed open, practiced social distancing, required masks to come in (back when "they" were telling us not to use masks), and cut down on their capacity for the past four months. But NOPE they were not essential. Meanwhile your Wal-Marts, Safeways, Targets, Costcos, and most especially the giant behemoth of multinational capitalism that is Amazon stayed open and kept making money.
    A valid adult conversation right here.

Getting there, Pop Trash. Getting there.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

- - - - -
    It's political when the "experts" (left leaning of course) start spewing nonsense like "racism is a bigger virus" i/r/t protests. Conflating a literal novel coranavirus with a figurative "virus." The WHO has put out CCP misinformation. There's still not a consensus about where COVID started.
    They said "racism is also a public health issue," which it is, and I was surprised anybody in authority said so.

The "experts" and left threw out any mandate they had. I also think TGM had a point. They were saying don't wear masks in March and April ... then suddenly in May and June reversed course.
    Yeah, so? There's a low chance you'll get into an accident each time you're in your car, but you still put on your seat belt when you drive. Presumably you're doing that because you understand it might protect your life and the lives of others, not because you'll get ticketed if you don't.

But let's say, only for the sake of argument, there's low chance wearing a mask slows the spread of this disease. What exactly do you lose by wearing one?

I seriously don't understand this argument. What could you be doing right now that you aren't? How has wearing a mask or social distancing had a material impact on your life?

"Oh man if those experts weren't so full of shit then I could have been kissing strangers on the mouth at Urban Outfitters! They've ruined my summer!!!1!"

First they were like "totally not in a Wuhan lab" now they are starting to question that.
    Who cares. Seriously. Who cares. It's here now and it's killing people in large numbers.

Page 45 of 86 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast