Page 36 of 86 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Gyms??

I guess the real question is, do we even want to go the gym right now?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Gyms??

I guess the real question is, do we even want to go the gym right now?
    Here's what Utah is doing. They're also reopening gyms:
    Quote Quoting ABC News
    The order requires the facilities to screen all employees and customers for symptoms prior to entering the building; allow only one person per 100 square feet; eliminate all group activities and the use of locker rooms and showers; and disinfect equipment after each use.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Here's what Utah is doing. They're also reopening gyms:
    Seems way simpler than just staying closed for a while longer.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Hows Brazil doing?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Ugh. I know that even the New York Times main science writer is expecting America to go to the Hammer and Dance model, but the fact that we don't have any real trace testing in Georgia here is really disconcerting as we implement Kemp's plan.

We'll continue to do a grocery run here every week and a half, but I'm going to be interested in tracking spikes about 3 weeks down the line.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Georgia to open bowling alleys, gyms, and nail salons

Call me crazy, but I feel like these types of businesses can practice the self-distancing and sanitization that's needed to actually open. Granted, it won't be full capacity, but can be done. The bowling alleys will probably be the cleanest they've ever seen them lol.
    Bowling alleys? Sure.

Movie theaters? Maybe between patrons, though I dare theaters to try and implement social distancing when everyone wants to go to the middle seats.

Restaurants, nail salons, barbershops, hair salons, massage therapists? No way. You cannot maintain social distancing between the workers and the patrons - those service interactions are by definition a close contact (within 6 feet for a prolonged period of time). If the worker is sick, they have the potential to infect every person to whom they provide a service and to do so for days before they even develop symptoms, especially if they aren't wearing a facemask.

It really is remarkable.

"How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    Bowling alleys? Sure.

Movie theaters? Maybe between patrons, though I dare theaters to try and implement social distancing when everyone wants to go to the middle seats.

Restaurants, nail salons, barbershops, hair salons, massage therapists? No way. You cannot maintain social distancing between the workers and the patrons - those service interactions are by definition a close contact (within 6 feet for a prolonged period of time). If the worker is sick, they have the potential to infect every person to whom they provide a service and to do so for days before they even develop symptoms, especially if they aren't wearing a facemask.
    Just speaking ideas here...

Yeah, not sure how you'd do restaurants, unless it was places like Chipotle-only and they put a sheet of plexi glass between patron and cashier as well. They'd probably have to remove all hot sauces and maybe not even allow fountain drinks.

Movie theaters, I could see theaters possibly just physically taping seats off so they're unavailable. Someone will still manage to make it an experience for Skitch. There's still bathroom breaks where you won't really be able to keep people a full six feet away, but the same happens in grocery store aisles.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

They could reopen everything tomorrow and I still would stay at home. I bet more people feel the same way.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    My hope is that this serves as a kick in the ass for the world to organize a more unified response. That the countries headed by Trumps give them the boot and elect people who won't hinder the global response with sheer stupidity, and that measures and safeguards are put into everything that ensure this doesn't happen again so easily. We may never travel again as we did, we may never work, rent, shop as we did, but we WILL do those things... Because now it's obvious that a pandemic is not a vague threat, it's something that we as a species must try to contain WHEN it happens again, and anywhere it happens again.
    Look the UK can get rid of their crappy leader, but it's a lot harder in the US. Also both Hungry and Brazil becoming more right wing worries me.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

They've done testing on people running and sweating, and the amount of spray that may contain the virus is immense. A gym could basically get so filled up with contamination on the surfaces and in the air that it would have to be thoroughly industrially disinfected every few hours and even then you couldn't be sure. Plus - there is no way a gym would keep up that standard of maintenance for any stretch of time anyway.

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    It really is remarkable.
    It is amazing how many blatant agents of Satan are televangelists.

- - - - -
    Skitch, how you feeling?

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Skitch, how you feeling?
    Still rebuilding strength. I get weak very easily. Otherwise way better.

Can I ask how many lbs you're down?

Can I ask how many lbs you're down?
    At worst I was down 18 in ten days (I've generally been about 6'2", 200lbs-ish), I've been gaining back but I'm still currently down about 12. I had that much to donate, but I don't recommend the corona diet.

Skitch have you done those breathing techniques? The ones that were recommended a short while back for people with CV-related coughing/chest/lung issues? I'd have to find the reddit thread I saw it in, but it was about prone ventilation and such. If you are having any trouble with coughing and breathing I'll look 'em up.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    Skitch have you done those breathing techniques? The ones that were recommended a short while back for people with CV-related coughing/chest/lung issues? I'd have to find the reddit thread I saw it in, but it was about prone ventilation and such. If you are having any trouble with coughing and breathing I'll look 'em up.
    I would (thanks for rec) but no breathing issues.

"The order requires the facilities to screen all employees and customers for symptoms prior to entering the building; allow only one person per 100 square feet; eliminate all group activities and the use of locker rooms and showers; and disinfect equipment after each use."

So ... no one will be able to use a gym w/o waiting for at least half an hour to get in? No thanks.

I also read 24 Hour Fitness (which is a pretty popular gym chain in bigger cities) might go bankrupt.
    Last edited by Pop Trash; 04-21-2020 at 07:01 PM.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Sister is still testing positive after six weeks (and four weeks w/o symptoms). Work won't let her come back because of liabilities. She just got tested yet again yesterday, so she is still waiting for the results. If she is positive again she might go to a doctor to try and get them to write a note saying she is testing positive because of trace dead virus cells or whatever, but not sure if that's going to work for her employers. She's getting pretty frustrated.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)

I also read 24 Hour Fitness (which is a pretty popular gym chain in bigger cities) might go bankrupt.
    This is surprising to me considering most of them are unmanned. I smell bad business practices.

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    Sister is still testing positive after six weeks (and four weeks w/o symptoms). Work won't let her come back because of liabilities. She just got tested yet again yesterday, so she is still waiting for the results. If she is positive again she might go to a doctor to try and get them to write a note saying she is testing positive because of trace dead virus cells or whatever, but not sure if that's going to work for her employers. She's getting pretty frustrated.
    I have to get checked out and get doctors note to return to work (which who knows when that will be as they still want me to work from home) but I 100% guarantee they won't retest me. No symptoms for over a week, no way they use a test on me. They'll ask if I have been symptom free and drug free for 3 days, okay good to go.

This is surprising to me considering most of them are unmanned. I smell bad business practices.
    My friend said that they didn't put accounts on pause either, still charging them monthly, and if they cancelled, they'd have to restart, which typically means a new annual fee, along with different monthly accounting. Dumb

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I have to get checked out and get doctors note to return to work (which who knows when that will be as they still want me to work from home) but I 100% guarantee they won't retest me. No symptoms for over a week, no way they use a test on me. They'll ask if I have been symptom free and drug free for 3 days, okay good to go.
    Welcome back!

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

My friend said that they didn't put accounts on pause either, still charging them monthly, and if they cancelled, they'd have to restart, which typically means a new annual fee, along with different monthly accounting. Dumb
    Smells like a class action lawsuit waiting to happen. Someone get the NY state attorney general on the horn, stat!

I do Planet Fitness and they froze all account payment until they can reopen. I think it's bullshit if they reopen with so much rules and social distancing we have to wait in line outside to get in. If I cancel I'll no doubt have to pay the sign up fee again. We'll see what happens.
    Last edited by Pop Trash; 04-21-2020 at 11:54 PM.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Page 36 of 86 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast