Page 35 of 86 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I should clarify that it's MA COVID relief (in case you were thinking about donating) and the workout class is mainly barre.

But it's on her Instagram story if you're interested and I'm uploading the video to her youtube page.
    Needed a workout today and I went with one on the youtube channel.

WHOOOOSH.

I do corepower sculpt classes in denver when there isn't a pandemic going on, and while they're similar... WHOOOOOSH!

I need a shower.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

- - - - -
    Hermit check:

I haven't worn pants in 3 days.

I might sound like Dennis Hopper in "Apocalypse Now" when I talk to other people now. (Of course, this may have been true before the pandemic.)

I've completely lost track of time because the city & my neighbors are almost completely silent all the time and it's freaking me out.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Irish (view post)

I haven't worn pants in 3 days.
    Three weeks for me. Unless LuLu ninja pants count.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Needed a workout today and I went with one on the youtube channel.

WHOOOOSH.

I do corepower sculpt classes in denver when there isn't a pandemic going on, and while they're similar... WHOOOOOSH!

I need a shower.
    That one class today we raised $1300 for COVID Relief.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

That one class today we raised $1300 for COVID Relief.
    Nice work!

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    Not literally, but in the figurative sense. By the time we're all allowed to interact in public again, venues and movie theaters will have gone out of business and become a thing of the past. Everyone will have gotten so used to being inside for so long, and companies will be used to their new ways of generating income, that there is no point to going back.

The more news outlets say call this the new normal, the more true it becomes and the more the old world dies.
    This might be true and it's by far the most depressing and angst-inducing aspect of this for me.

I hate that news and others are calling this the "new normal" like it's going to be okay to continue this for the long term.

I'm by no means one of the guys in Michigan crying for rights, I understand the flattening the curve... this is just a "short term abnormal." But that doesn't sound good in broadcasting.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

On the topic of “new normal”, I wonder if, when the stay at home orders start to relax to the point that people are able to return to their offices to work will instead elect not to, and companies requiring their employees to be in the office, having been forced into this work from home experiment and seeing that there actually are benefits to it, will be more apt to give their employees that WFH option.

And with more people working from home, that’s less cars on the street taking them to and from work, which I’m guessing accounts for a huge percentage of car use overall. And with less cars driving that means fewer traffic deaths and pollution...

Perhaps some aspects of whatever the new normal winds up looking like will actually be alright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    On the topic of “new normal”, I wonder if, when the stay at home orders start to relax to the point that people are able to return to their offices to work will instead elect not to, and companies requiring their employees to be in the office, having been forced into this work from home experiment and seeing that there actually are benefits to it, will be more apt to give their employees that WFH option.

And with more people working from home, that’s less cars on the street taking them to and from work, which I’m guessing accounts for a huge percentage of car use overall. And with less cars driving that means fewer traffic deaths and pollution...

Perhaps some aspects of whatever the new normal winds up looking like will actually be alright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is for sure. Less need of office space = less real estate to have to own. WeWork is probably crossing fingers for a comeback.

WIth that, I'll say I'm probably just as effective at this point working at home and office now that I've done it for a while. Getting in the field is where I'm at my best, but that's not an option right now.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Is there really any down side for a company to people working from home? Other than dishonest people wasting time while claiming hours, it seems like all pro to me.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Is there really any down side for a company to people working from home? Other than dishonest people wasting time while claiming hours, it seems like all pro to me.
    It hinders innovation, creativity and team building.

Examples please? 'Cause this sounds like it comes from chapter 3 of The Bottom Line: Harness the Synergy of Gordon Gekko's Top Power Moves and Paradigm Shifts.

Clearly, it massively depends on the job and business, no?
    Last edited by Wryan; 04-23-2020 at 06:09 PM.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

As a person who's been WFH for many years, I can say that, for all its upsides, there are things that just work better when people are in the same room - the sorts of brainstorming, planning, designing, collaborating kinds of stuff are possible over the phone, yes, but they are SO much more productive when all the key players are in the same room together and bouncing ideas off each other. Trying that sorta thing on the phone all too often leads to a cacophonous mess.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Corporations don't actually trust their rank & file.

Ad guys and marketing wouldn't be able to do it.

There are a buncha insurance reasons.

But there's also social reasons. People enjoy congregating in groups even when they're unrelated and unnecessary, eg: movie theaters, coffee shops, bars etc.

Depends on the industry and the business.

People have built entire operating systems working remotely and communicating over nothing more sophisticated than email and irc.

I didn't say it wasn't possible. It's just faster when people are together.

Most perfect example of this is online classes.

I retained shit from my online classes.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Yeah, I mean, people will still want to go to the movies, bars, concerts. Some venues/chains may go under, but new ones will appear.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    I know, but I meant about "the next pandemic". Warnings about the evolution of SARS viruses date back to 2007 from what I've found online. It took over a decade after we realized of the danger and did nothing for it to materialize. I don't know if this is going to happen again anytime soon. At least I hope it doesn't.
    Ah. I just worry that pandemics will become the norm, especially thanks to global warming and travel regularly being a thing. I hope I am wrong.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Lazlo (view post)
    Yeah, I mean, people will still want to go to the movies, bars, concerts. Some venues/chains may go under, but new ones will appear.
    Unless you're in a city where gentrification runs rampant, like I am. Real estate moguls are foaming at the mouth over the likely demise of venues and small businesses here.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

I think bars will survive. Only big chain and specialty movie theaters will still be around, but I feel like we were heading towards that already, although I read that some like AMC Theaters are in trouble. I do miss going to the theater somewhat, yet streaming has its perks. I really miss the public library, however and I had actually planned on going to some of my local museums when it got warmer outside. Guess I won't do any of that now.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

My hope is that this serves as a kick in the ass for the world to organize a more unified response. That the countries headed by Trumps give them the boot and elect people who won't hinder the global response with sheer stupidity, and that measures and safeguards are put into everything that ensure this doesn't happen again so easily. We may never travel again as we did, we may never work, rent, shop as we did, but we WILL do those things... Because now it's obvious that a pandemic is not a vague threat, it's something that we as a species must try to contain WHEN it happens again, and anywhere it happens again.

At least we can rest easy knowing Shake Shack will be OK.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/shake-s...d=hp_lead_pos2

Their shakes are too fucking thick!
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Pretty admirable.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Georgia to open bowling alleys, gyms, and nail salons

Call me crazy, but I feel like these types of businesses can practice the self-distancing and sanitization that's needed to actually open. Granted, it won't be full capacity, but can be done. The bowling alleys will probably be the cleanest they've ever seen them lol.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Page 35 of 86 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast