Page 29 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    I think it's a dubious proposition to criticize another country's institutions from the outside, especially when one knows nothing about them.
    Oh come on.

Hitler's ideas are a little extreme, but I'm just on the outside looking in.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Hitler's ideas are a little extreme, but I'm just on the outside looking in.
    Lol, nooooooooooooo, Ezee. Nooooooooo. No.

That's a terrible counter on the face of it and you don't need anyone to explain why.

I think it's a dubious proposition to criticize another country's institutions from the outside, especially when one knows nothing about them.
    If only, say, the Internet existed where you could find out information on things like that. How long do you think it would take me to learn as much about the electoral collage system as the average American voter knows?
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    If only, say, the Internet existed where you could find out information on things like that.
    Absolutely agreed. It's a pity Grouchy didn't avail himself of the opportunity when it came to the monarchy.

How long do you think it would take me to learn as much about the electoral collage system as the average American voter knows?
    I bet you could memorize the Wikipedia page, know the history, understand the mechanics and still not be able to tell me why the Electoral College was created and why it still exists.

I bet you could memorize the Wikipedia page, know the history, understand the mechanics and still not be able to tell me why the Electoral College was created and why it still exists.
    So that all 13 people in Montana can continue to torment us.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Since the Queen is technically Canada's head of state, I believe I have sufficient standing to say that the monarchy is stupid.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

I just don't believe what you're saying. Hitler is always the go-to example but for example, imagine you pointed out that women have very few rights in Iran or Saudi Arabia or that there's very little free speech in Thailand and I told you "no, you can't say that, you're in the outside looking in". I dare you to live by that philosophy of avoiding passing judgment on any country that isn't your own.

Anyway, what are you, a royalist Irishman?

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    Since the Queen is technically Canada's head of state, I believe I have sufficient standing to say that the monarchy is stupid.
    Pretty sure she still has the power to seize your land and throw you in the Tower of London, so I'd be careful if I were you.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Hitler is always the go-to example
    Only if you want to make everything as dumb as possible as soon as possible. Godwinning the argument this early is never a good sign.

I mean, do I really have to explain that Nazi Germany isn't representative of Germany as a whole? Either culturally, historically, socially, or institutionally? Or that comparing German fascist government that lasted 12 years to a British institution that's lasted over 1,000 is non-sensical?

imagine you pointed out that women have very few rights in Iran or Saudi Arabia or that there's very little free speech in Thailand and I told you "no, you can't say that, you're in the outside looking in".
    Iran isn't a monarchy. Thailand has one of the longest running monarchies in the world (800 years, I think?), but the country is also ruled by a military junta. Saudi Arabia is all kinds of fucked up, at least from the outside, but then as American it would be pretty hypocritical of me to start squawking about other country's human rights abuses.

Anyway, if you really want to make this argument, you could say that, well, France and Germany --- two countries more comparable to the UK --- shucked off their monarchies and they are theoretically better for it. And then, ya know, maybe list a bunch of reasons how and why.

I dare you to live by that philosophy of avoiding passing judgment on any country that isn't your own.
    I didn't say you couldn't. I'm saying doing it means you're operating from a dubious position, because it's almost guaranteed you're operating from ignorance --- as you very clearly were when talking about The Queen of England, or Transmo might theoretically be talking about the Electoral College.

Anyway, what are you, a royalist Irishman?
    I'm sorta torn. I'm not for this particular monarchy, but the older I get the more I like tradition.

Absolutely agreed. It's a pity Grouchy didn't avail himself of the opportunity when it came to the monarchy.

But it seems to me that you are implying that I can only understand that by living in the US. And I would argue that that is nonsense.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Transmo might theoretically be talking about the Electoral College.
    It's always going to be theoretical, unfortunately; I get enough of your politics every time that buffoon Trump is on TV here. That's all I can tolerate.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    But it seems to me that you are implying that I can only understand that by living in the US.
    Sorta? I think unless you know a place from the inside, either by living there in earnest or doing a fuckton of research, then you'll miss certain cultural nuances, as well as historical and institutional dependencies.

Sorta? I think unless you know a place from the inside, either by living there in earnest or doing a fuckton of research, then you'll miss certain cultural nuances, as well as historical and institutional dependencies.
    But by that definition, no-one on Earth can truly understand the reasons why the Electoral Collage was set up because no-one alive now was "living there in earnest" at the time it happened. So that leaves "doing a fuckton of research" which anyone can do, but most people - American or not - don't.

I would never make any claims like "living in America must be hell" because, well, I've never lived there, so how would I know that? But I see nothing wrong with a non-American making a claim like "the Electoral System in America sucks" if they have researched it.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

All right, fair enough. From my outsider's perspective, I can't really see the upside of maintaining a royal family. However dubious my opinion might be, the best example you could make for why Elizabeth II is a useful ruler for the British dated back to WWII.

And I wasn't talking about monarchy specifically in Iran or Thailand, I was just making examples of shit you could point out about their respective societies that's wrong without living there.

I'm for the electoral college by the way, just think that there should be a revision in states and electoral votes based on population changes, and states should be able to divide up votes like Maine.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

And here I am calling it the electoral collage. See I learned something new already!
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I'm for the electoral college by the way, just think that there should be a revision in states and electoral votes based on population changes, and states should be able to divide up votes like Maine.
    I have mixed feelings about it, but I do like that it enables certain smaller swing state to have some political power. Otherwise California, NY, and Texas would run roughshod over the rest of America. I think the founding fathers were pretty perceptive in understanding the divisions between small states vs larger states, rural vs urban. I think they got the "two Americas" thing centuries ago. That's why they split Senate and Congress w/ Congress having more power w/ populous states and Senate being equal irrespective of state population.

That said, I do totally understand why other countries think we are crazy for not having direct democracy Presidential elections.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

1 PM EST still work? I can set it up tomorrow.

Who would like to join?

I'll post a link here.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I’m still down. Not like I have anywhere I need to be....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Doooo it
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

That's 7PM Central European Time, I can do that.

Fuck the electoral college and monarchies. It's the 21st century people should be able to elect their leaders.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

2 PM over here, works for me.

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    Fuck the electoral college and monarchies. It's the 21st century people should be able to elect their leaders.
    I agree wholeheartedly but apparently you can't know how great it is until you try it!

Page 29 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast