Page 28 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19

I haven't heard Trump calling it "The Chinese Virus" lately, but turns out that the NYC origin is from Europe.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

- - - - -
    - Wuhan allowed travel after ~75 days of severe lockdown (ie: literally locking people in their houses if they violated quarantine).

- "The virus likely is not going to disappear from the face of the earth this summer." --- Dr Arthur Reingold, UC Berkeley

- "I don't expect that we'll have any sports games until at least Thanksgiving, and we'll be lucky to have them by Thanksgiving. This is not going to be something that is easy to do." --- Dr Jeffrey Smith, Santa Clara XO

- 'Never Seen Anything Like It': Cars Line Up for Miles at Food Banks. "Millions are flooding a charitable system that was never intended to handle a nationwide crisis."

We're deluding ourselves if we think this'll be over soon.

I think the balance now is between public health and public freakouts. How long can we keep people inside before they start ignoring state mandates?

PS: The Queen of England addresses the British public every Christmas. It's a tradition.

Not to mention economic peril. At this rate, I'll be skeptical about the $1200 we're supposed to get as a direct deposit in a few days. My dad is an artist and tried to get some 1099 (self employment) stimulus since his galleries are shuttered. Turns out it's only available to 2,000 people (first come first serve) and the state run website crashed. Total joke.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    This simulation will make you guys feel better

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/113597...arket-lingers/
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

2nd day I've woke up with no fever. Starting to believe its finally broke. Still feel crappy half a dozen other ways, but at least no fever.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    This simulation will make you guys feel better

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/113597...arket-lingers/
    That's quite the hack!

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)

I think the balance now is between public health and public freakouts. How long can we keep people inside before they start ignoring state mandates?
    Yeah but the problem here is that people weren't following it to begin with.

Not enough people took/are taking the isolation seriously.

Funny enough, they're also the ones that are first to complain about this all taking too long.

PS: The Queen of England addresses the British public every Christmas. It's a tradition.
    I read it reported everywhere it was only her fifth public message. But now I see this article says:

Excluding her yearly Christmas messages, it is only the fifth special televised broadcast the longest-reigning monarch has given in her 65-year-reign.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Yeah but the problem here is that people weren't following it to begin with.

Not enough people took/are taking the isolation seriously.

Funny enough, they're also the ones that are first to complain about this all taking too long.
    Some places are a little better off than others, eg: California compared to New York.

I mostly meant something like: What happens when governors tell people to stay home and not host BBQs on the Fourth of July?

PPS: The House of Windsor originated in Germany during the 19th century. (They changed their name during the First World War.)

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    2nd day I've woke up with no fever. Starting to believe its finally broke. Still feel crappy half a dozen other ways, but at least no fever.
    Glad to hear you're feeling better, at least on balance!
    Last edited by Irish; 04-09-2020 at 04:13 PM.

PPS: The House of Windsor originated in Germany during the 19th century. (They changed their name during the First World War.)
    Ok but the castle exists since the XIth century.

My point still stands, though. The bitch needs to be extinct.

Can someone explain why people are wanting Cuomo to run for President at this point? Why does being the epicenter of Covid grant him as anything special that could lead the entire USA?

California, and I certainly wouldn't go for their Governor to be President, but has cities like San Francisco/Los Angeles, 5x the population, and they have 12% of the cases compared to NYC.

And I'm certainly not hearing about anything being done for citizens or anything in NYC... so please explain. Outside of just happening to be the governor and demanding for more help... I don't see anything.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Because NY > CA. Duh.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Because NY > CA. Duh.
    That's basically the vibe I get from people that think he should go for President. Who'll he cry to then?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Can someone explain why people are wanting Cuomo to run for President at this point? Why does being the epicenter of Covid grant him as anything special that could lead the entire USA?
    Because Bernie's gone and they hate Biden.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    How’s the breathing?
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)

California, and I certainly wouldn't go for their Governor to be President, but has cities like San Francisco/Los Angeles, 5x the population, and they have 12% of the cases compared to NYC.

And I'm certainly not hearing about anything being done for citizens or anything in NYC... so please explain. Outside of just happening to be the governor and demanding for more help... I don't see anything.
    I think it's the press conferences and the way he doesn't hold back.

This is the first time I can remember an establishment politician expressing real emotion from the podium. I think that resonated with people because it felt genuine. When was the last time any of these guys were genuine? Cuomo demonstrated that he has blood in his veins and actually gives a shit. Compared to the Clintons and the Bidens and the Obamas, that's refreshing.

PPPS: The British Monarchy is the longest surviving monarchy in Europe, and Elizabeth II is the longest reining living monarch.

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    Because Bernie's gone and they hate Biden.
    "Anybody will do." lol

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

This is the first time I can remember an establishment politician expressing real emotion from the podium. I think that resonated with people because it felt genuine. When was the last time any of these guys were genuine? Cuomo demonstrated that he has blood in his veins and actually gives a shit. Compared to the Clintons and the Bidens and the Obamas, that's refreshing.

PPPS: The British Monarchy is the longest surviving monarchy in Europe, and Elizabeth II is the longest reining living monarch.
    Here locally we are praising our governor as well. Thanking the owner of the Patriots for sending their private Patriots planes to China for ventilators for first responders.

- - - - -
    Here locally we are praising our governor as well. Thanking the owner of the Patriots for sending their private Patriots planes to China for ventilators for first responders.
    That's terrific.

It's funny Trump created a Streisand Effect around these blue state governors by fucking them over. A bunch of them stepped to the plate and more or less knocked it out of the park. They're in the shit every day trying to do what's best while the White House fumbles around with lame ass press conferences.

He's unintentionally handed his political enemies a national platform and massive visibility.

PPPPS: Elizabeth II is the only woman from the British Royal Family to serve in the military and the only head of state to serve during World War II.
    Last edited by Irish; 04-09-2020 at 07:39 PM.

Sounds like just charisma factor then.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    How’s the breathing?
    Still good. I start coughing if I talk too much.

And that's terrible.

Quote Quoting Irish
    PPPPS: Elizabeth II is the only woman from the British Royal Family to serve in the military and the only head of state to serve during World War II.
    Ok, I didn't know that. But do you think the British Royal Family has a place in modern British society aside from folklore? Genuine question here.

That's terrific.

It's funny Trump created a Streisand Effect around these blue state governors by fucking them over. A bunch of them stepped to the plate and more or less knocked it out of the park. They're in the shit every day trying to do what's best while the White House fumbles around with lame ass press conferences.

He's unintentionally handed his political enemies a national platform and massive visibility.

The best part is the Kraft family are trump supporters. So even the Kraft family was tired of the President's incompetence.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    But do you think the British Royal Family has a place in modern British society aside from folklore? Genuine question here.
    I think it's a dubious proposition to criticize another country's institutions from the outside, especially when one knows nothing about them.

Page 28 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast