Page 11 of 86 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19

People can be really dumb. I am lucky that Iowa is not as bad as say, Illinois, which has been hit hard by coronavirus.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Great: A 95-years old lady in Italy fought the virus and fucking WON !

If anyone has any doubts about the importance of social distancing and how URGENT the most drastic measures are, just think about this single football (soccer) game that has, reportedly, been the source of the huge coronavirus breakout in Lombardia: https://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/how-...11plf44dk67eul

Also, Patient 31. A single super-spreader caused everything to go pear-shaped in South Korea.
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

Corona parties are apparently becoming a thing in Germany.

Large groups of young people coughing at old people.

Quote Quoting Stay Puft (view post)
    Also, Patient 31. A single super-spreader caused everything to go pear-shaped in South Korea.
    It’s suspected that she caught it from some church/cult members over from Wuhan at the same time as a bunch of others in her church/cult and she just happened to be the first diagnosed. Still, while waiting for her tests results, she decided to go to a buffet, so she has no sympathy from me.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Trump is totally getting a second term.

Everyone who didn't vote last time, still won't this time.

And his main supporting states are ones with the highest voter counts.
    It's up in the air. What happens with the economy and COVID-19 will really decide. Joe "Senile" Biden doesn't exactly put confidence in me. The economy is possibly, maybe, perhaps beyond fucked up. We're talking 30% unemployment. The Great Depression had a max unemployment of 24%. Keep in mind that unemployment numbers don't factor in every unemployed person, esp. when they run out of unemployment insurance, and don't factor in people that are massively underemployed (working 20 hours when they want to work 40, working jobs far below their skill level, education, and usual pay grade). I don't think people understand that we pulled the plug on many people in the bottom 10% in the last week. The markets and banks will become less liquid, more scared to loan. The fed and the treasury will be the only game in town to do anything. They both have to hit this hard and hit it now. The democrats in Congress are currently sinking the $$$ payout basic income to every American. I understand (and empathize) with why they are doing it, but they have to at least pass SOMETHING. People are going to be fucking pissed at Pelosi and Schumer if they don't. Terrible optics. It's basically a game of chicken right now but if the bill loses, the Dems will be blamed.

I'm also concerned about small businesses. As someone that has worked at various retail jobs for locally owned businesses, this is fucking terrible for them. One of my friends can't afford to pay her rent on a brick & mortar storefront business for vintage clothes, she doesn't want any more debt, and isn't sure if her landlord will float her for a month. If not, she could go kaput. This is happening all over the country. Another local group of three restaurants just laid off over 100 people. It's up in the air if they can continue. So many small business owners absolutely do not want to go into debt with so much uncertainty out there. I just read an interview on CNBC that basically said retail and commerce might be 90% dominated by Amazon, Wal Mart, Costco, and Target. I find that massively depressing. Shit's fucked brehs.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

My sister in Austin tested positive for COVID-19 a few days ago. AMA!

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Damn. How old is she?

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Damn. How old is she?
    29 ... works in health care as an occ. therapist. She thinks one of her patients gave it to her but she's not sure. She has like 20+ permanent patients that now have to get tested plus all of her coworkers she came in contact with.

She feels ok. She had a flu and a high fever and got tested at one of the drive-up places about a week ago. Took about three days to get it back and it was positive. The city of Austin sent her a letter that said she had to quarantine for 14 days under penalty of law. She faces potential jail time and a huge fine if she leaves her apartment. She lives with her fiancee and they are assuming he has it (he can't leave to get tested, he's just treating it like he has it ... will probably get tested after she gets better and can leave her apartment). They have to get all their food delivered w/ special instructions to leave it outside their door. I guess some of her friends and coworkers are bringing her stuff and leaving it outside the door too. I was a bit skeptical about the outbreak ... UNTIL THAT HAPPENED.

She's out of work for at least 30 days, which means she pretty much will use up all her PTO (and then some) which sucks since they had plans to go to Europe next month which is cancelled obviously. But right now, that's the least of her concerns.
    Last edited by Pop Trash; 03-24-2020 at 12:41 AM.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Sorry to hear, man. Hope she comes through okay. Does she have any other immuno-comprising issues?

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Sorry to hear, man. Hope she comes through okay. Does she have any other immuno-comprising issues?
    No she's one of the healthiest people I know. Pescatarian, health food nut, does shots of apple cider vinegar and wheat grass, drinks shakes with protein powder, doesn't smoke, doesn't really drink much beyond a few glasses of wine a week with dinner, her BMI is super low, goes to the gym multiple times a week, and so forth.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Good. Still, all love ya'll way. Keep us updated.

Wishing the best, Pop Trash.

Wishing the best, Pop Trash.
    Thank you. Pretty sure she will be fine. It's more weird when you meet people in real life that think the contagion is overblown. I want to tell people that my own sister has it, but I also don't want to freak people out if they think I've been near her (she lives in a different state than me and I haven't seen her since Christmas last year).

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    Thank you. Pretty sure she will be fine. It's more weird when you meet people in real life that think the contagion is overblown. I want to tell people that my own sister has it, but I also don't want to freak people out if they think I've been near her (she lives in a different state than me and I haven't seen her since Christmas last year).
    I think that it would be a good way to shoot down the people who think this is a hoax or that it is overblown.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

The bill the GOP wants to pass is one big ass gift to the super rich and corporations, though. Small business owners and the average Joe would get the shaft, which is how the last bailout in 2008 went.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

The fact that there are still people who think that is mindblowing. In Spain they are finding abandoned and dead people in nursing homes. The staff left them there and fled. They are piling bodies into an ice rink because they can't keep up with the burials and cremations.

This is my city right now, and the whole country has under 300 confirmed cases: https://youtu.be/ExXTXbNfDeM

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    I found out through this that some people who were once close to me are anti-vaccines. Pretty depressing discovery.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Sounds like she'll get through this but I wish her the best Pop.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

LOL at the cruise lines trying to get government bail outs, while sailing under foreign flags in order to avoid American taxes and labour laws.

Also, can those senators who offloaded all their stocks right before the crash please go to jail?

Thx.

LOL at the cruise lines trying to get government bail outs, while sailing under foreign flags in order to avoid American taxes and labour laws.

Also, can those senators who offloaded all their stocks right before the crash please go to jail?

Thx.
    I have zero sympathy for them, but at least one (the blonde from Georgia) swears up and down that an independent investment firm dumped them for her. Unless they can prove she directed them to dump, there wasn't any insider trading going on. The company merely dumped based on public information (and there was quite a bit of public info at the time that said this was going to be a big deal, it's just no one was really paying attention other than stock companies).

Why sitting congress and senators can own individual stocks (outside of 401k, IRA, and/or mutual funds) is another matter. If we didn't live in a corrupt society, that would be illegal. You wanna run for office? Sell all your individual stocks before being sworn in under penalty of law.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    The bill the GOP wants to pass is one big ass gift to the super rich and corporations, though. Small business owners and the average Joe would get the shaft, which is how the last bailout in 2008 went.
    Yes and no. It's too heavy on corporations, but as usual corporations make the argument (correctly) that thousands of people will loose their jobs if eg. Boeing or Delta go out of business. So that's one reason why even Democrats go for it. Plus the bill today will likely give you $1200.00 of free money so it's not nothing. They need to reign in stock buybacks and I also like the idea that Trump and Mnuchin put out (to give them credit) of having a appointed member from the federal government sitting on their board. You could say this is crony corruption, but these corporations do need some oversight if they are getting handouts from the government.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

My company (NASCAR) just sent an email that we're going to have our pay reduced to 80% starting next week as well as requiring us to take one day of vacation per week for the next five weeks. Pretty shitty. I get it, they're unable to perform the main function of their business, running races, and at least we're not getting laid off. But man does this suck.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Page 11 of 86 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast