Page 40 of 86 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 2139

Thread: COVID-19

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    It's not like the smell of popcorn infected people at the spot and they were Gwyneath Paltrow Contagion-level by the end of the movie.
    Problem is Texas has no idea how many people those new cases infected over the last 2 weeks.

So the virus continues to spread (and they have evidence of this) and now they're helping it spread more.

My question: Who would gamble with their health to see "Trolls World Tour" for $5?

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Problem is Texas has no idea how many people those new cases infected over the last 2 weeks.

So the virus continues to spread (and they have evidence of this) and now they're helping it spread more.

My question: Who would gamble with their health to see "Trolls World Tour" for $5?
    And Mother's Day next week...

So Memorial Day should be interesting is what we're saying

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I remember when the one infected guy got some people sick in a movie theater in Outbreak.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Movie theaters are going to be fucked for awhile. I'm reading all these cinephile types like Chris Nolan boost up the theatrical experience, and I'm right there with them, but the vast majority of movie goers are not hardcore cinephiles. Movie theaters were in a state of flux before covid, with theaters trying to coax with beer & wine and "real" food. The Alamo model.

The thing about theaters for the last decade at least is that they have been split into two major camps: the glorified babysitter "let's get the kids out of the house and see a movie" camp, and the retired baby boomers with tons of time on their hands camp. The smallest camp is the 25 to 50 year olds with no kids in the 5 to 15 age range. I think boomers are going to be frightened away from theaters quite a bit since they are in the 60+ age range where covid could be fatal. And parents might be freaked out about their kids, even if their kids are statistically far better off than any other age group if they get covid. There's A LOT of fear going around.

I think I mentioned it here before, but when I worked at a movie theater, the amount of retired boomers that make up theatrical audiences is hugely underrated. Boomers made up probably 80% of our weekday daytime audience and probably 50% of our evening and weekend audience. That's going to be a huge hit to theaters if they stay home.
    Last edited by Pop Trash; 05-04-2020 at 05:39 PM.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Theaters are also one of the last businesses on the planet that seem stuck in their ways and unphased to want to innovate when something comes along and disrupts them i.e. Netflix, Universal's comments about releasing films via on demand, etc. They just fall back on the "cinematic experience" reasoning, add more food to the menu, up ticket prices and charge an extra $5 for sour patch kids. One theater told my pregnant wife she couldn't bring her bottled water into the movie. Fuck right off I'm paying $80 a movie I'll bring whatever the fuck I want.

For all those reasons I do not feel bad for them one bit.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I dunno, if anything I feel like boomers are some of the ones taking the pandemic the least seriously and might be just fine risking their lives to see a movie. And not even see it as a risk.

Then again, I'm such a dummy that I'm already weighing whether I'll drive from Charlotte to just north of Atlanta (as is customary for me for the biggest IMAX releases) to see Tenet in 15-perf 70mm IMAX should it get released. I mean, I probably won't... but then again....
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Quote Quoting Lazlo (view post)
    I dunno, if anything I feel like boomers are some of the ones taking the pandemic the least seriously and might be just fine risking their lives to see a movie. And not even see it as a risk.

Then again, I'm such a dummy that I'm already weighing whether I'll drive from Charlotte to just north of Atlanta (as is customary for me for the biggest IMAX releases) to see Tenet in 15-perf 70mm IMAX should it get released. I mean, I probably won't... but then again....
    It really depends. My parents are boomers who love seeing movies. They used to go to the movie theater(s) 2-4 times a month. During Oscar season they would sometimes go 5-6 times a month to see boomercore stuff like Green Book or 1917 or whatever.

Now they are insanely paranoid about covid. They still go to the store and stuff but wear masks and gloves an disinfect the shit out of everything. My dad in particular has had cancer w/ chemo and whooping cough previously, so he is majorly at risk.

I seriously doubt they will go to a movie theater for at least six months. Maybe not ever until a vaccine is found. We'll see.

I guess my point is if theaters lose even 50% of boomers, that's a huge blow, considering how underrated they are for movie going and box office. Marketing depts are obsessed with the 18 to 35 crowd for advertising and new products, but the CEOs of theaters should really be looking more at boomers.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Theaters are also one of the last businesses on the planet that seem stuck in their ways and unphased to want to innovate when something comes along and disrupts them i.e. Netflix, Universal's comments about releasing films via on demand, etc. They just fall back on the "cinematic experience" reasoning, add more food to the menu, up ticket prices and charge an extra $5 for sour patch kids. One theater told my pregnant wife she couldn't bring her bottled water into the movie. Fuck right off I'm paying $80 a movie I'll bring whatever the fuck I want.

For all those reasons I do not feel bad for them one bit.
    What other innovations would you like to see them try? I think they've tried everything, from smell-o-rama to apps that give you free tickets.

Quote Quoting Pop Trash
    Now they are insanely paranoid about covid. They still go to the store and stuff but wear masks and gloves an disinfect the shit out of everything. My dad in particular has had cancer w/ chemo and whooping cough previously, so he is majorly at risk.
    It's hard to gauge but, other than the unknown intensity of the disinfecting, that doesn't seem all that paranoid - they're the mandatory precautions.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    What other innovations would you like to see them try? I think they've tried everything, from smell-o-rama to apps that give you free tickets.
    That's not my job to figure it out. I'm only saying... in business, you get success with a product until something else comes along and disrupts you. You change (adapt) or die. There's a reason why you don't see anyone walking around with a blackberry anymore. All the theaters are doing is bitching and "banning" studios from their own platform. That's a lose lose situation.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    That's not my job to figure it out. I'm only saying... in business, you get success with a product until something else comes along and disrupts you. You change (adapt) or die. There's a reason why you don't see anyone walking around with a blackberry anymore. All the theaters are doing is bitching and "banning" studios from their own platform. That's a lose lose situation.
    Theaters are more of a platform / channel and not a product, but yeah. They exist on artificial scarcity.

They haven't really been disrupted by just one thing, one company, one person, because movies as a medium are closed bound to technology. As technology changes, theaters get "disrupted" by default. The dissolution of movie theaters has been a ~70 year process.

That's not my job to figure it out.
    Yes it is, Duke. We will be expecting a powerpoint presentation with at lest two venn diagrams by the end of the week. Two venn diagrams. All your other priorities are pushed to next sprint.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    They could lower prices, but ultimately none of that will matter in this particular situation. Best they can do is disinfect the shit out of their theaters and market that they disinfect the shit out of their theaters. Plus social distancing, blocking off every other row, blocking off seats. Unfortunately, that just cuts their bottom line since they can't sell more tickets. I think for the rest of the year, unless there is a vaccine or a major drop off in cases, multiplexes will probably only play like three movies at a time with them all on multiple screens since they will "sell out" (read: sell only 30 tickets per theater) pretty fast.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    I've had thoughts about film as a hobby, criticism and all if theaters die because of this or in the general near-future. Movies lose their power and magic without the theatrical experience. Plus any kind of change is hard for me to adjust to, as someone with ASD. Getting so much change at once is killing me to the point where even when I watch something on a streaming service I'm clouded with anxiety about what will remain standing after/if this ends.

Of course, this may also just be my inner despair talking because of the fact the world's ending, so many people are dying and I've been displaced from my home for the second time in three months due to a power outage.
    Last edited by Ivan Drago; 05-06-2020 at 04:25 AM.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

My company is making moves to be "faster and more effective." "Breaking down silos."

AKA sitting on the edge of my seat for the next month to find out how much my world changes and whether or not I'll still have a job by the end of it.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

These past few weeks, when curbside or delivery wasn’t available due to demand, I’ve been doing my grocery shopping really early (Scar early). Such was the situation today when I was checking out and bagging my food, mask on, and a police officer walked on in.

He looked at me, next to the cashier with my face mostly obscured, nodded, smiled, and went on his merry way. I couldn’t help but chuckle to myself thinking that any other time, it would be safe to assume that I was robbing the place, but these days, no big deal.

Now, I know that people are dying by the thousands, and hundreds of thousands more are suffering, but sometimes you just gotta laugh at the absurdity of it all. It’s the only way to keep from going insane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

You guys are allowed to go grocery shopping early? That hour is reversed for 60+ here in MA.

You guys are allowed to go grocery shopping early? That hour is reversed for 60+ here in MA.
    A few locations are still 24/7.

I heard Cub Foods will be going back to 24/7 across the board (except for locations that never were) in the next couple weeks. That will definitely help with social distancing.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Yeh nothing here is 24/7.

They still have a "senior citizen" hour for majority of grocery stores in Colorado. Unsure if anyone is 24/7.

There was a Wal-Mart that got shut down because they weren't enacting any social distancing, limited capacity, or PPE. Three deaths were related to visits at that store or had workers.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I have to drive about 15 miles out to the outer rim suburbs to find the nearest 24 hour grocery store. All of the Minneapolis stores open at 6 for seniors only, with general population not allowed in until 7. I think there's a 6-7 restriction in the burbs as well, but I was out of there well before then.

- - - - -
    8pm mandatory close here, including grocery stores and restaurants still doing takeout.

Clerk at the local supermarket tested positive and of course they didn't close down to clean the f'in place ...

The local restaurants here are pretty cool.

There's a Korean/sushi place my wife and I order from every Friday night for date night. First of all they deliver (which they never did before but are changing/adapting to survive). Second of all when you check out, you have the option to 1) Pay $25 which will give you $25 worth of groceries.. bread, milk, eggs, etc) 2) Receive $25 worth of groceries for free or 3) Pay it forward ($25) for the next person.

They also have an option to include two rolls of toilet paper for free if needed.

HyVee last I checked still has 7-8 pm or earlier for the elderly. My store went back to normal hours but we close at 10 pm. Still have to clean door handles, carts, baskets and registers before we leave. Masks are mandatory for employees.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

UK officially has more total deaths than Italy now. And they're talking about easing the measures... I just... I don't know man.

My sister and her kids, husband (all in England) have been inside for weeks, but the youngest of her two kids came down with a bad fever. They all got tested today. Hoping they’re all ok.

Page 40 of 86 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast