Page 60 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast
Results 1,476 to 1,500 of 2139

Thread: COVID-19

What a day. People around here who have been out loud covid deniers are getting sick. I don't know what to say.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    What a day. People around here who have been out loud covid deniers are getting sick. I don't know what to say.
    I don't know what's making them sick.

I'm sure it's not COVID. But somethings making them sick.

It's probably the liberal media.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    Here's some current data on COVID mortality from the WHO published on October 14th 2020
    You didn't read past the summary, didja?

This dude did high level napkin math and excluded at-risk groups, entire countries, and most of a continent (which he admits upfront). It's interesting, and I imagine useful for data scientists and policy wonks, but this is lab stuff. Sorta an "all other things being equal" viewpoint in world which is never equal.

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    And yeah, airport security still confuses me. There's certain times at DIA where I'd be able to go through a line with shoes on, not have to remove stuff from bags... And then other times I have to. WHY?
    Because nobody wants to be the guy who relaxed protocols right before "an incident." Something happens and best case, you lose your job. Worst case, thousands are dead.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    And the fluid thing? A travel bottle of shampoo is ok but an actual bottle of shampoo you are going to blow some shit up? My friend is a commercial pilot and gives me the lowdown on these issues. He thinks the TSA is mostly worthless.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I'll betcha they'll get off easy and continue denying that it's dangerous.

When I was auditing a store a week or two ago, someone was wearing ‘Spaceballs the Face Mask!’. I think he saw my huge grin through my mask.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Not down take a page out of Trump's book but... What percentage of the population is actually getting tested though?
    I think Korea is something like 126th in the world for testing - but its testing is very targeted - if someone is diagnosed, then people at the places where they went are contacted and tested. Everyone else is left alone. Korea is something like 153rd in the world for deaths per million of the population, which is the only measure that takes testing out of the equation, which I think means it's doing okay, especially given how old and dense the population is.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    if someone is diagnosed, then people at the places where they went are contacted and tested.
    This is a good sign.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    When I was auditing a store a week or two ago, someone was wearing ‘Spaceballs the Face Mask!’. I think he saw my huge grin through my mask.
    Hilarious. I want one right now

Producer
    Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    Do you have the data on irreparable heart and lung damage in young people who had COVID? Those are the scary ones, not deaths.
    Our most high-profile case, also one of the first cases and really the one the breaks through to the public in term of the virus' seriousness (a la Tom Hanks; they even got similar blowback by being accused of conspiratorial/making government look bad, but not as much and it subsided quickly as the virus spread), is a celebrity couple, the husband an actor and the wife a singer. Got the money to have the best care and everything, but more than half a year later, while he recovers 100%, she (a healthy 33 years old singer) still only got 60% back of her lung function. I think I will recover if I contracted it, but the irreparable damage from her case and many others is a russian roulette I will not chance with.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    You didn't read past the summary, didja?
    This dude did high level napkin math and excluded at-risk groups, entire countries, and most of a continent (which he admits upfront). It's interesting, and I imagine useful for data scientists and policy wonks, but this is lab stuff. Sorta an "all other things being equal" viewpoint in world which is never equal.
    I mean who wants "lab stuff?" That might entail "data" or "science." We need hair-on-fire media driven alarmism for Irish.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Because nobody wants to be the guy who relaxed protocols right before "an incident." Something happens and best case, you lose your job. Worst case, thousands are dead.
    But then why allow days where I can wear shoes then? It's stupid. Either it's safe or it isn't.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

- - - - -
    I mean who wants "lab stuff?" That might entail "data" or "science." We need hair-on-fire media driven alarmism for Irish.
    If you had bothered to read past the summary (and admit it: you haven't) you'd see the report doesn't necessarily support your conclusion.

The author seems to be trying to figure out how deadly the disease is, absent mitigating factors like age, income, location, sex, race, and living conditions. They looked at ~60 studies from around the world and excluded data based on those factors, as well as testing methods and healthcare options. In other words, their view of the pandemic is in the abstract, sorta under the ideal conditions you'd find in a laboratory ("lab stuff"), and they're saying: all other things being equal, covid's fatality rate may actually be lower than we thought.

But nobody lives under ideal and equal conditions.

Here's a covid mortality analysis from Johns Hopkins, last updated 24 October. Notice the case-fatality ratio is much, much higher than the numbers you cited. There are a lot of reasons to account for that, but then again, in a practical sense: dead is dead.

A sample:

Mexico - 10%
    Italy - 7.6%
    United Kingdom - 5.4%
    Canada - 4.6%
    Japan - 1.8%
    India - 1.5%

South Korea got the jump on the virus and had one of the best responses to the pandemic in the world, with exceptional testing and contact tracing. Their fatality rate hovers around 1.8%, with 0.89 deaths per 100,000 people.

The United States had a terrible response, and we're sitting at a 2.6% fatality rate, with 68.46 deaths per 100,000 people.

You wanna roll the dice now? Think about what a 1-2% variance could eventually mean in terms of real people's lives, when the infection rate is at 10 or 20 or 30%, and stop spouting nonsense on internet forums.
    Last edited by Irish; 10-25-2020 at 07:35 AM.

- - - - -
    But then why allow days where I can wear shoes then? It's stupid. Either it's safe or it isn't.
    Just a guess? For the same reason cops don't always set up speed traps on the same street. If you don't know whether your shoes will be checked or not, you won't pack anything in your shoes.

I agree, it's stupid and largely theater. But otoh ... what other choice do they have?

Just a guess? For the same reason cops don't always set up speed traps on the same street. If you don't know whether your shoes will be checked or not, you won't pack anything in your shoes.

I agree, it's stupid and largely theater. But otoh ... what other choice do they have?
    Use technology to keep up with the times and adjust accordingly.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    I think I will recover if I contracted it, but the irreparable damage from her case and many others is a russian roulette I will not chance with.
    THIS. I have already talked about our good friend, who is still struggling with heart problems even when his much older father has completely recovered. There was recently the case of a 30-something Russian Instagram "influencer", a vocal Covid denier, who traveled to Turkey in September for an event, contracted Coronavirus and ended up spending 8 days in the hospital back home. He was released, but died five days later from heart complications.

Denver is moving to a "Level 3" Safer at Home stage, which is putting 25% capacity at Restaurants/Retail/etc. Gyms are still unknown.
    Schools encouraged to go remote instead of in person.
    No planned stimulus for smaller businesses or parents that can't work right now, it appears.

Broncos? Unchanged, still having 3500 fans (all other outdoor events have a 75 person cap). Voting areas don't need to change anything.
    Tourism, quarantining before or after you visit the state. Also unchanged.

It's all over the place.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I volunteered to be a poll worker. There's no enforceable mask mandate here. My guess is that 25-30% of voters won't be wearing masks. I'm confident I know the best way to keep myself safe, because it's my job to know that, but I'm still a little nervous about cumulative exposure over the course of the day or simply letting my guard down as I get more and more exhausted.

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    Good luck amber. If this was a sane and fair country mail in voting would be widespread and people wouldn't have to stand in line for hours to vote.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Justin Turner confirmed with COVID-19 and removed in the 9th inning as the Dodgers win the World Series.

That's some voodoo magic on that man. Win the World Series and not being able to celebrate with your team.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    Yeah that does suck.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Justin Turner confirmed with COVID-19 and removed in the 9th inning as the Dodgers win the World Series.

That's some voodoo magic on that man. Win the World Series and not being able to celebrate with your team.

I just read this. 2020 in sports right there. Win you win you still lose. I'll be surprised if there aren't more positive Dodgers cases. Possibly the Rays too.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

I'm sure the Rays will be fine.

Makes me wonder how they would've approached a Game 7 if they needed to.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    I volunteered to be a poll worker. There's no enforceable mask mandate here. My guess is that 25-30% of voters won't be wearing masks. I'm confident I know the best way to keep myself safe, because it's my job to know that, but I'm still a little nervous about cumulative exposure over the course of the day or simply letting my guard down as I get more and more exhausted.
    I got texted two of three times this fall to volunteer. I need a way to be removed from whatever list they are pulling from.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I got texted two of three times this fall to volunteer. I need a way to be removed from whatever list they are pulling from.
    Ha. In Denver, I actually TRIED to volunteer, and after I submitted, I haven't heard anything since. I shared I was Independent. My Democrat friend also tried to volunteer, and same result after she submitted.

I don't think it's a political thing, I just think it's terribly managed by the city, because it was incredibly difficult to even get to where we did.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Page 60 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast