Page 62 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 2139

Thread: COVID-19

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I can't believe this isn't satire.

This is some of the most smug, tone deaf, "cry me a river for the 1%" bullshit I have read in a long time.

These people can fuck right off.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    *sigh*

My mom has COVID. She’s ok for now, mild symptoms. But she exposed my sister and her family and, well...shit.
    Well, goddamn, wishing for a speedy recovery & no lingering effects

That article sort of describes why there's an electoral college in a way, doesn't it?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I dunno, I've been to the US, and big chunks of the country feel like a third world country. We stopped at a Burger King off the interstate in some godforsaken part of New England (all the states blur together) and I'm sure at least half the people working there were addicted to heroin. I'd probably react the same way as the people in the article.

Also, who doesn't love sushi?
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    I dunno, I've been to the US, and big chunks of the country feel like a third world country. We stopped at a Burger King off the interstate in some godforsaken part of New England (all the states blur together) and I'm sure at least half the people working there were addicted to heroin. I'd probably react the same way as the people in the article.

Also, who doesn't love sushi?
    I used to make fun of my wife, because she grew up in the burbs and never ventured into the city. I call her a Townie because she was sheltered from all kinds of diverse areas and events of Boston. (Keep in mind I grew up in the town adjacent to hers so there's no excuse). The only difference was my friends and I made a point to leave our town, to venture into Boston in high school regularly. I fell in love with the city and lived there all through college and grad school.

The point is the reverse can happen to! You can be a city dweller and be sheltered from burbs. I live near the boarder of New Hampshire now and there are four sushi restaurants in my town alone.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Not like it was hard to find that guy. https://twitter.com/zthacher

I'm now annoyed this guy was in the town touching mine. Get out of my state leafer. (oh good, you did).

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    I got sushi months ago. Picked it up at my favorite sushi place and took it home. Maybe it's different in NYC or something? Not that I care...
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

I used to make fun of my wife, because she grew up in the burbs and never ventured into the city. I call her a Townie because she was sheltered from all kinds of diverse areas and events of Boston. (Keep in mind I grew up in the town adjacent to hers so there's no excuse). The only difference was my friends and I made a point to leave our town, to venture into Boston in high school regularly. I fell in love with the city and lived there all through college and grad school.

The point is the reverse can happen to! You can be a city dweller and be sheltered from burbs. I live near the boarder of New Hampshire now and there are four sushi restaurants in my town alone.
    I'm not convinced that being "sheltered" from mediocre food and boredom is such a great sin. I can't speak to the quality of sushi restaurants in New England, but comparing Nova Scotia with Toronto, the sushi restaurants in the former are markedly inferior to those in the latter, and neither can compete with the sushi restaurants in Tokyo. If someone can afford to live in a dense, diverse city with great food and lots of movie theatres, why wouldn't they? What's so great about the suburbs? I grew up in a suburb; it wasn't fun. New York City is a great city. It's just obscenely expensive, which is why so many people wind up settling for a mediocre lifestyle in the 'burbs.
    Just because...

The (New) World

I like sushi, but only at restaurants with friends, so we can order multiple rolls and share.

Don't think I've had that since pre-Covid, humph.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I'm not convinced that being "sheltered" from mediocre food and boredom is such a great sin. I can't speak to the quality of sushi restaurants in New England, but comparing Nova Scotia with Toronto, the sushi restaurants in the former are markedly inferior to those in the latter, and neither can compete with the sushi restaurants in Tokyo. If someone can afford to live in a dense, diverse city with great food and lots of movie theatres, why wouldn't they? What's so great about the suburbs? I grew up in a suburb; it wasn't fun. New York City is a great city. It's just obscenely expensive, which is why so many people wind up settling for a mediocre lifestyle in the 'burbs.
    And some of us hate being crowded. I’d lose my shit if I had to live down town.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

I'm one of those guys in the middle. Love being within the city limits with everything so close, but I need some greenery to look at. And especially in the summer, I often need to skip town for a few days and get somewhere where the smell of cedar is all that is floating in the air. That's why I love where I live.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Boredom as defined as what? Living in a 600 sqft studio so you're basically forced to leave your "home" to find "adventure" in your life? Pleeease. All it takes is a bit more drive to go out and explore. City living may be convenient because everything is walking distance. But things are not spread out as far as that article makes it out to be. Especially in Carlisle Massachusetts (which btw, is next to the birth place of our country- pretty much the greatest suburban town in the country). You're not going to find the boonies until you're way past Burlington VT.

Okay I take that back. Burlington VT is pretty boonie.

Fuck you Duke, Excelsior MN is the greatest suburban town in the country and everyone here knows it.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

I live in the county seat. Maybe 6k people in this town. I can't wait to get out of town. I don't want to go too far, just not IN town. I want a couple acres, high speed internet, a finished (or finishable) basement, and non-asshole neighbors. As for city life, its often joked that Ohio is an hour from anywhere...but thats not really too terrible. I can be downtown Cleveland in hour ten, Columbus in hour twenty with good traffic, Canton in about forty-five (NFL HOF, bitches)...

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Fuck you Duke, Excelsior MN is the greatest suburban town in the country and everyone here knows it.
    Heh. Any significant revolutionary battle sites or famous historians / founding fathers live out there?

Yeah, my brother.

Heh. Any significant revolutionary battle sites or famous historians / founding fathers live out there?
    I'm curious how this has an effect on where you want to live/improves the community?

Boredom as defined as what? Living in a 600 sqft studio so you're basically forced to leave your "home" to find "adventure" in your life? Pleeease. All it takes is a bit more drive to go out and explore. City living may be convenient because everything is walking distance. But things are not spread out as far as that article makes it out to be. Especially in Carlisle Massachusetts (which btw, is next to the birth place of our country- pretty much the greatest suburban town in the country). You're not going to find the boonies until you're way past Burlington VT.

Okay I take that back. Burlington VT is pretty boonie.
    I guess it's a matter of preference. I grew up surrounded by trees with nothing around but houses for miles, not even a bus stop. It's nice for a day or two, but after that I just want to go to the opera and eat Asian food that tastes like the food they have in Asia.

Also, I find when I'm in Nova Scotia, I'm constantly on edge about being the victim of a hate crime because I'm the most ethnicky person around, whereas in Toronto, because there's a different economy of difference, my otherness is worth less (people just seem to think I'm Italian or Mexican). I remember one time some of my wife's relatives came to visit from Hong Kong, and we went to a grocery store, and I was fucking panicking. I was like, "We are too visible and we need to get the fuck out of here before these crackers start some shit." So I can understand why a Jewish guy would start to feel antsy living in Trump country.
    Just because...

The (New) World

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I'm curious how this has an effect on where you want to live/improves the community?
    More interesting ghosts?
    Just because...

The (New) World

This is why a lot of people are moving to Denver. It has city living, but not too big. Suburban areas aplenty around it. Thirty minutes to the front range, sixty minutes to ski areas and fantastic hiking. Farm land to the east.

Food options have really improved over the last ten years with the growth.

And we have the Unsinkable Molly Brown house.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Exclusivity. Higher taxes. Better school systems. Better jobs. Better members of society.

More interesting ghosts?
    You're aware of the Colonial Inn???

I guess it's a matter of preference. I grew up surrounded by trees with nothing around but houses for miles, not even a bus stop. It's nice for a day or two, but after that I just want to go to the opera and eat Asian food that tastes like the food they have in Asia.

Also, I find when I'm in Nova Scotia, I'm constantly on edge about being the victim of a hate crime because I'm the most ethnicky person around, whereas in Toronto, because there's a different economy of difference, my otherness is worth less (people just seem to think I'm Italian or Mexican). I remember one time some of my wife's relatives came to visit from Hong Kong, and we went to a grocery store, and I was fucking panicking. I was like, "We are too visible and we need to get the fuck out of here before these crackers start some shit." So I can understand why a Jewish guy would start to feel antsy living in Trump country.
    Ah gotcha. I can totally understand the extremes and especially hilly Billy woodsy areas- as you point out, nothing around for miles. I camp up on the boarder of Canada and New Hampshire. There are some not so educated people up there.

My burbs is nowhere near that. I'm 30 minutes from Boston. 45 to the ocean. 60 to the mountains. I can do anything within a reasonable time.

Exclusivity. Higher taxes. Better school systems. Better jobs. Better members of society.
    Wait, really? Guess that does go to another reason I hate this county so much...its biggest history story is they lynched a black man on the courthouse lawn.

I'm deeply uncomfortable with the idea that "more money = better people"
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Page 62 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast