Page 61 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 2139

Thread: COVID-19

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Ha. In Denver, I actually TRIED to volunteer, and after I submitted, I haven't heard anything since. I shared I was Independent. My Democrat friend also tried to volunteer, and same result after she submitted.

I don't think it's a political thing, I just think it's terribly managed by the city, because it was incredibly difficult to even get to where we did.
    Same issue here. I applied through the county board of elections and heard nothing so I signed up through Power the Polls and they've been the ones contacting me repeatedly to ask if I'd heard back from the county (which I hadn't) and who gave me information about a training session, which is how I got plugged in.

I know two other people who also volunteered and never heard back. I assumed it was because they had enough workers, or maybe a shoestring election management staff coupled with heavy early voting needs. Either way it seems they are leaning a lot on the help of these recruitment organizations.

*sigh*

My mom has COVID. She’s ok for now, mild symptoms. But she exposed my sister and her family and, well...shit.

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    *sigh*

My mom has COVID. She’s ok for now, mild symptoms. But she exposed my sister and her family and, well...shit.
    Dammit. Sorry.

Cases are exploding in my county. The hospital is filling up. A few of the naysayers are finally shutting up, but not most of em.

I'm sorry amberlita. Wishing them all the best.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

France now in a second lockdown. Yikes.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54716993
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    So it's not just our dumb President where cases are back to April levels? I'm surprised a little.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    So it's not just our dumb President where cases are back to April levels? I'm surprised a little.
    Nope. The UK has been in tiered lockdown for a few weeks now. I think Liverpool and some other places are in full lockdown mode and others are on standby to see if the numbers tick up. I think Germany is about to go into full lockdown too.

EDIT yup here it is
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybe.../#2d7da4b1795a
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Said it a week ago. Europe is experiencing its highest numbers as well (Spain, UK, Germany, France, Italy)

We saw Italy in the news back in March when they were at 6.5k cases. They had 21k cases yesterday.

Comparing:
    USA - 331 million people - 60k cases
    Europe (adding to get close to 331 million) - Russia, UK, France, and Spain - 324 million people - 96k cases
    Europe II - Italy, Germany, Ukraine, Belgium, Netherlands, Polan, Czech, Romania, Switzerland, Portugal, Sweden, Belarus, Austria - 327 million - 117k cases and doesn't include Sweden because they didn't report.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Said it a week ago. Europe is experiencing its highest numbers as well (Spain, UK, Germany, France, Italy)

We saw Italy in the news back in March when they were at 6.5k cases. They had 21k cases yesterday.

Comparing:
    USA - 331 million people - 60k cases
    Europe (adding to get close to 331 million) - Russia, UK, France, and Spain - 324 million people - 96k cases
    Europe II - Italy, Germany, Ukraine, Belgium, Netherlands, Polan, Czech, Romania, Switzerland, Portugal, Sweden, Belarus, Austria - 327 million - 117k cases and doesn't include Sweden because they didn't report.
    Yesterday's figures :

South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Vietnam, Singapore, Thailand (371 million people) - 525 cases, 424 of those from Japan.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

42 cases in China

39 million or so in Australia/New Zealand/French Polynesia. 848 cases (basically all in F.P.)

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Yesterday's figures :

South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Vietnam, Singapore, Thailand (371 million people) - 525 cases, 424 of those from Japan.
    My only question with some of the Asian countries, which also includes Africa, is that there's very low testing in some of those countries per million when compared to Europe/N. America. 2.6 million tests administered in Japan for example. That'd be akin to Belarus/Czech Republic.

You had mentioned that the tracing is more focused, rather than blanket testing. Just interesting.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

My only question with some of the Asian countries, which also includes Africa, is that there's very low testing in some of those countries per million when compared to Europe/N. America. 2.6 million tests administered in Japan for example. That'd be akin to Belarus/Czech Republic.

You had mentioned that the tracing is more focused, rather than blanket testing. Just interesting.
    Yep, random blanket testing is kind of a waste of time and resources. Much better to just isolate and quarantine those who are potentially exposed until they are tested.

It has been a very basic strategy here: track and trace, wear masks, don't hold big gatherings of strangers, and sometimes curb business activity that may spread it further (e.g., closing nightclubs and allowing only take out for franchise coffee shops when there are spikes) but otherwise doing your best to keep everything open (cinemas were never closed, for example).

It's amazing what a settled plan and a little cooperation among the populace can accomplish.

EDIT: Of course, it could all turn to shit at any time, but I believe that would only occur if the public here suddenly decided to act like idiots.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

*sigh*

So sorry, *hugs*

Germany will lock down for a second time starting next monday

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    *sigh*

That really sucks. Hopefully you don't get sick.
    Last edited by DFA1979; 10-29-2020 at 07:10 AM.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)

EDIT: Of course, it could all turn to shit at any time, but I believe that would only occur if the public here suddenly decided to act like idiots.
    Which probably won't happen, because that side of the world has been using masks for decades, just out of being a good caring citizen.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Producer
    In my and some other Asian countries, I think it helps that we have had the crisis of PM2.5 particles during 2019, in which the Thai second wave hit right around the beginning of 2020, just before COVID began. When you already saw little children have nosebleeds and a few people around you with respiratory problems (not to mention the scary aerial scene of smog over the city), it's easy to get used to seeing others wear masks and/or wearing one yourselves. And that's the case where if you don't want to mask up, it's up to you since you're only affecting yourself. So when the one where you have to all wear them for it to be effective, we're thankfully prepared for that as a society.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

France, Italy, Germany, and Spain are all locking down in the next week or so. Probably others.

Democratic states in USA probably waiting until after the election is my guess.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Back in June, MA was at single digit deaths and a two digit new cases.

Yesterday we reported 1,137 new cases, 36 new deaths.

So I stopped going to my outdoor soccer league this week.

Back in June, MA was at single digit deaths and a two digit new cases.

Yesterday we reported 1,137 new cases, 36 new deaths.

So I stopped going to my outdoor soccer league this week.
    My soccer league was just put on postpone until Denver goes back to Level 2.

Had the best left-footed goal of my life last week

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

France, Italy, Germany, and Spain are all locking down in the next week or so. Probably others.

Democratic states in USA probably waiting until after the election is my guess.
    Belgium
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Friends and family scoffed at my conservative estimate of 250,000 dead Americans several months ago.

Sigh......
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

My sister lives in England, lockdown is imminent for her.
    131 new cases, with 4 deaths here in NH reported today, but I'm certain at one point that there was just a single death per week a few months ago.

“My son looked at me one day and said, ‘Mommy, I miss sushi.’ ”

what the fuck.

Guess I’ll settle for freshly caught, pan fried fresh water fish and wild venison.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Page 61 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast