Page 1 of 86 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19

COVID-19

When was the last time an entire city (much less the size of Shanghai) was shut down for two weeks to prevent outbreak?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    When was the last time an entire city (much less the size of Shanghai) was shut down for two weeks to prevent outbreak?
    Not a virus but 2013 when Boston shutdown to capture Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Not a virus but 2013 when Boston shutdown to capture Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.
    Very different situation, but definitely remember that.

Can't find anything, but did see that Hong Kong is shutting schools down until Feb 17th now. Makes me think it's way bigger in China than what we're seeing.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Isn't the response a little silly, though? Unless like E speculated, it's bigger than we are being led to believe.

Allegedly there have been something like 250 deaths thus far.

Like 40,000 people die every year from the flu.

I remember the bird flu.

Also I am unsuspended on Twitter but now I have two accounts. Might as well use both.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

What's North Korea going to do if Coronavirus works its way there?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Reuters report

North Korea has stopped airline flights and train service with its neighbors, established weeks-long mandatory quarantines for recently arrived foreigners, suspended international tourism, and imposed a near-complete lockdown on cross-border travel.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Finally getting a day off. I do seriously love CDC. Like I can't think of another place that would make it an official task for its leadership to go to all response workers and say "anybody who has not had a day off in over 7 days must take one" (even if it's been more like 2-3 weeks for most).

But now I don't know what to do with myself. Sitting here and I can't decide how to prioritize non-work activities. Should I try to be productive? Or vegetate?

Did you guys fix that coronavirus thing yet? If not, get back to work.

:-P

Maybe watch some moviez?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Did you guys fix that coronavirus thing yet? If not, get back to work.

:-P

Maybe watch some moviez?
    Jeeeez we're working on it! How about this: are *you* currently infected with Novel Coronavirus right now? No? Well then...I think we're doing OK.

Movie is a good idea actually. Parasite is available to rent on Amazon!

What're we up to, 8200+ fatalities in the US this flu season?
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    What're we up to, 8200+ fatalities in the US this flu season?
    True. Flu is the bigger threat and we're trying to keep it that way. We can predict the flu. We know its seasonality. We know its incubation period. We know its primary mode of transmission. We know its approximate mortality rate (unless it's a new strain, like H1N1 in 2009). We have therapeutics to treat it. And we have a vaccine that can either prevent infection or protect against severe disease.

None of those things are the case with nCoV.

In a global pandemic with a new virus to which no one has immunity and we have no vaccine, even a 1-2% mortality rate can dwarf seasonal influenza.

But we'll see.

Producer
    Coronavirus is intensifying, especially in Europe. My parents have bought a tour package (Italy, France, Switzerland), and apart from the virus, I think we have to seriously consider the... (I reallyyyy don't want to call it that but oh well) racism as big factor to cancel it too. The experiences from Asian students abroad are increasingly alarming to read. For example, this is from a Thai student in Milan (one of our tour destinations), who decided to put study on hold and fly back. The "Translate Tweet" function may be a little patchy on Thai language, but I try it and the gist is mostly still intact:

Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

If y’all had to be house quarantined due to an outbreak, how much food do you currently have on hand?
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

If y’all had to be house quarantined due to an outbreak, how much food do you currently have on hand?
    I'd be fucked.

Scar now you got me thinkin. Do I need to load up on ammo and food now?

Scar now you got me thinkin. Do I need to load up on ammo and food now?
    Doesn’t hurt to have at least a few days of shelf stable stuff stocked up. I personally have a quite a bit of freeze dried stuff in the basement, plus I think at least ten gallons of water.

I’m not going to advocate purchasing a firearm if you don’t have any training, but I certainly have a few for home defense.

I’ll probably do an inventory tonight out of curiousity. Mountain House changed their packaging a little while back, so I stocked up on some of that too. Just to have on hand and use for camping / hunting.

Where do you get your freeze dried food?

https://www.amazon.com/Wise-Company-...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I’ve got Mountain House and Augusson Farms stuff. Honestly, I’d just stock up on some canned goods and water for now. I’ll get back to this in a few hours, I’m doing an audit.

There's enough food in my house for a family of 5 to last months.

Generator for power, multiple firearms, more than 60km from any city center.

We're fine.

I’ve heard less than favorable reviews for Wise food. Mountain House is going to be top end and Augason is second tier, I believe. I’d google some reviews on the freeze dried stuff before purchase. I picked up a lot of 10# cans of just add water meals, oats, granola, fruit, etc. Unfortunately, the lead time on some of the Augason Farms stuff is one to two months now.

Family of 5 could maybe last a couple weeks if we were conservative. If the teenager was at her dads, longer.

If an outbreak happened here we'd be 100% fucked. Nothing is even remotely prepared.

Well, this topic sure is a ray of sunshine in an otherwise gloomy day.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Page 1 of 86 1231151 ... LastLast