Page 1 of 68 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

COVID-19

When was the last time an entire city (much less the size of Shanghai) was shut down for two weeks to prevent outbreak?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    When was the last time an entire city (much less the size of Shanghai) was shut down for two weeks to prevent outbreak?
    Not a virus but 2013 when Boston shutdown to capture Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Not a virus but 2013 when Boston shutdown to capture Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.
    Very different situation, but definitely remember that.

Can't find anything, but did see that Hong Kong is shutting schools down until Feb 17th now. Makes me think it's way bigger in China than what we're seeing.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Done. Found as many as I could. If you see any stranglers let me know and I'll move em.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Started day with sleeplessness and allergies. Now a low grade fever. Great.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Started day with sleeplessness and allergies. Now a low grade fever. Great.
    You probably got it from your bored daughter's friends.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    You probably got it from your bored daughter's friends.
    She didnt end up going anywhere. Probably neighbor kids.

As some of you read in a previous post, my sister has COVID-19. She is almost over with her city mandated self-quarantine (in Austin, TX) of 14 days, but still has a cough. She's one of those lucky ones that had mild symptoms. She works as an occupational therapist with some multi state huge corporate health care company. She's pretty irritated at them right now. She had to use up all her PTO and sick days for the year (she gets 10 PTO a year, which seems low to me), which means if she takes off any vacation for 2020 in the holidays or whatever, she won't get paid. She also says they "frown upon" any non PTO days off, whatever that means.

Anyway, even more irritatingly this giant corporate conglomeration keeps calling her and asking her when she is going back to work. She doesn't want to go back if she still has it. Apparently the CDC is telling people that once they are done with the 14 days and showing no symptoms, they should be free of it and to not take any more COVID-19 tests to be sure she is free and clear. She (and I do too) thinks this is utter bullshit. She could still have it and be asymptomatic. Plus she works in health care with many elderly patients with underlying physical conditions. If they are doing this to all positive tested health care workers, this is ludicrous.

She is probably going to go back to work in a week once her cough is gone, regardless of retests. Initially the CDC wanted health care workers to not only retest once, but also test again to make sure it wasn't a false positive. Apparently they got rid of those rules, which I find nuts.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

I never took any of the numbers or reports from China as factual.

I rolled my eyes when people talked about how China has "flattened the curve".

I don't understand this push-pull between Trump and Cuomo about quarantining the tristate area. I understand why Cuomo wouldn't want to do this, but he's on tv saying that it's a "deceleration of civil war" and "the people won't stand for it." I think most people outside of that area would be very much for it. Why all planes haven't been grounded out of JFK and LaGuardia is beyond me. Cuomo is apparently mad at the gov of Rhode Island for having the National Guard turn away all cars with NY plates, but why not? I totally get that.

EDIT: here's an article about the legality of it. I think Cuomo is full of shit if he thinks he has legal authority over Trump on this. Not sure what he is on about w/ "deceleration of civil war" either. NY'ers don't have (legal) guns and they all hate Trump anyways. Plus some of them would be sympathetic to getting quarantined off for a few weeks at least.

https://www.fisherphillips.com/Workp...icas-workforce
    Last edited by Pop Trash; 03-28-2020 at 10:29 PM.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

I don't understand this push-pull between Trump and Cuomo about quarantining the tristate area. I understand why Cuomo wouldn't want to do this, but he's on tv saying that it's a "deceleration of civil war" and "the people won't stand for it." I think most people outside of that area would be very much for it. Why all planes haven't been grounded out of JFK and LaGuardia is beyond me. Cuomo is apparently mad at the gov of Rhode Island for having the National Guard turn away all cars with NY plates, but why not? I totally get that.
    In MA the State Police is monitoring Cape Code for all NY license plates and mandating them to self isolate for 2 weeks.

My post above is probably an overreaction. I forgot how many people die in a city with 11 million people a month without COVID 19.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    In MA the State Police is monitoring Cape Code for all NY license plates and mandating them to self isolate for 2 weeks.

My post above is probably an overreaction. I forgot how many people die in a city with 11 million people a month without COVID 19.
    My liberal friends all hate Trump and are starting to love Cuomo, but on this particular issue I get where Trump is coming from. It's straight out of the Outbreak type movie playbooks. I don't think they won't get supplies (which is what Cuomo is probably worried about) but I don't understand why having a National Guard barrier between these states (and grounded all airplanes in/out of them) for a few weeks is a bad thing. You can let essential supplies and trucks and commerce through. Just no state-to-state non official business standard autos (w/o prior approval).

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

My liberal friends all hate Trump and are starting to love Cuomo, but on this particular issue I get where Trump is coming from. It's straight out of the Outbreak type movie playbooks. I don't think they won't get supplies (which is what Cuomo is probably worried about) but I don't understand why having a National Guard barrier between these states (and grounded all airplanes in/out of them) for a few weeks is a bad thing. You can let essential supplies and trucks and commerce through. Just no state-to-state non official business standard autos (w/o prior approval).
    Because 'freedom' and all that jazz. I don't think people realize just how serious the situation is. I get that's all the news talks about 24/7 but what people don't realize is the more they cooperate, the quicker this situation goes away. And because of slow reaction from states like FL, I think we have the whole month of April and May to get this under control.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    My liberal friends all hate Trump and are starting to love Cuomo
    Speaking of which, I keep reading stuff saying that Cuomo could make a late push for a Presidential run. Is that realistically possible given how late we are into primary season, or are people just that butthurt over Biden most likely becoming the nominee?
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    Speaking of which, I keep reading stuff saying that Cuomo could make a late push for a Presidential run. Is that realistically possible given how late we are into primary season, or are people just that butthurt over Biden most likely becoming the nominee?
    I've heard this too. I don't think it's possible unless something catastrophic happens to Biden (beyond him being senile). You're going to thwart democracy and irritate the large swaths of African American and older voters that enthusiastically voted for Biden. I do think Trump has a big leg up on him right now. People can criticize him all they want, but the optics are Trump looks presidential while Biden talks to people from a crappy webcam from his house. But I think the economy and what happens with the COVID stuff will be enormous come around October. We'll see.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Half the positive cases in the USA are in New York state. Cuomo is crazy if he doesn't think the rest of the country wouldn't support a quarantine on them. Trump clarified that they would let trucks and essential supplies in, but it would mean limited state-to-state movement.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Colorado was 5th in cases and is now 13th.

Detroit, New Orleans, and Florida shot up it seems like. Florida as discussed earlier.

Wonder if Mississippi will have any problem since the governor has no intentions of shutting down anything, correct me if I'm wrong.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Guys, the numbers are CONFIRMED cases, remember. Testing is still shit in the entire US, so the NY numbers just mean they're doing more testing. A useless, impossible to maintain quarantine would just syphon off resources needed for more useful stuff.

Best of luck you guys. Hope there's no complications and it breezes by.

We're supposed to get a call from health dept today, and we were told most likely we will be quarantined in house for 2 weeks.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    We're supposed to get a call from health dept today, and we were told most likely we will be quarantined in house for 2 weeks.
    Are you getting tested or are you just going to assume you have it and wait it out for two weeks?

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Are you getting tested or are you just going to assume you have it and wait it out for two weeks?
    Didn't know. They called. Self quarantine for 2 weeks. We have to test temps 3 times a day and report to them daily.

Be well Skitch.

Shit. Please take care of yourself Skitch.

I figure our trash economy gripes go in here. I'm deeply concerned about California. We basically pulled the plug on the bottom 20% of the economy there. I'm sure NY and other states (Nevada? Louisiana?) are in a similar state of catastrophe. I don't think the politicians understand what a mess having astronomic high rent, people working as servers to supplement the 20% of income (or so) they get from being a struggling actor, filmmaker, tv producer, musician, and so forth. Mostly in the Los Angeles area. The governor really needs to step-up and simplify the rent situation. 60% of the state is a residential renter (apartment, house, condo, cardboard box, whatever). There's gunna be a lot of bitching and moaning from property owners, but from an ethical stand point, it's better to keep a roof over someone's head, than temporarily fuck up the finances of a property owner. Ultimately it all goes back to the banks, and the big four can take the heat. They are backed by Mnuchin, the fed, the treasury right now. They will be fine. But I think it is immoral, unethical, and a "health concern" (living on the streets even for a few days can increase your exposure to assault and rape) for anyone to loose housing because of something the government did (rightly or wrongly). This is going to be a huge issue for months, maybe years, and I'm afraid the mainstream media is going to go "yay, we stopped Coronavirus. Hooray! Everything is better now! Go America!" No fucking way. As usual, the poorest are going to be screwed over the most. It's up to Gavin Newsom to step-up and impose unilateral, state wide moratoriums on rent payments in April and May if you can prove (loosely, not too many hoops so people don't get filtered out) you were effected in any way economically by COVID-19. And I mean extremely loosely, so an Uber driver just has to sign something that says they lost major income because of this and get their rent waved. Also, NO BACK RENT, RENT IS 100% FORGIVEN. Right now we are facing a catastrophe of evictions because people are going to face a whopper of triple or quadruple rent that they had temporarily postponed. No one is going to be able to pay 6K worth of back rent if they couldn't even pay 2K for the month of April.

Oh and this isn't about me if anyone is worried. I'm doing ok for now. But this is going to be a shitstorm of epic proportions if Gavin Newsom doesn't get a handle on it. California already has a shameful level of homeless people. We absolutely don't need to exacerbate the problem.
    Last edited by Pop Trash; 03-29-2020 at 06:54 PM.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Page 1 of 68 1231151 ... LastLast