Page 23 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    I don't understand all that gobbledygook. I did a ctrl+F search and it said $13K for 2018. That can't be right. What's the total tax amount Apple paid for 2018?
    No you found it. Those numbers are in millions though. So they paid $13 billion in taxes in 2018. And when Trump's tax law dropped the rate to 21% last year, they only paid $10 billion.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    No you found it. Those numbers are in millions though. So they paid $13 billion in taxes in 2018. And when Trump's tax law dropped the rate to 21% last year, they only paid $10 billion.
    Is this an ongoing beef with Meg? You think Apple should pay more taxes and he doesn't?
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Apple has more than a trillion stashed overseas.

Is this an ongoing beef with Meg? You think Apple should pay more taxes and he doesn't?
    Other way around. I'm fine taxing the shit out of companies though. The 35% rate made sense and trump lowered it because he thought it would inspire innovation and R&D.

But that's not what frustrates me. Meg takes click bait garbage from twitter and facebook and posts it without 1) knowing what it means and 2) wanting to have a conversation about it. Post and run.

Because Apple keeps some money offshore (as other major companies that have a world wide presence do...IBM, GE, Microsoft, etc), that they somehow don't pay US income tax? Or that they don't pay taxes at all? They do this so they can reinvest in some of the expanding markets or put money into the JDMs without converting the cash back into US currency and back into local currency. They do this so YOU can have your fancy new phone next year.

The problem moving cash outside of the circulation does as it devalues the US dollar. But all of that money that is sitting there, I think it's now down to 200 billion in 2019, so they moved 50 billion back over to the US from 2017, was all earned outside of the US. So it's non-taxable as it sits right now.

TLDR- Apple has a fuck ton of cash, both US and International, and there's zero incentive for them to move the 200 billion they have sitting outside the US into the US other than to lose it. They paid $40 billion in federal taxes over the last 3 years.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    Apple has more than a trillion stashed overseas.
    $200 billion, but close.

Hasn't that always been the argument? That if you keep corporate taxes high, the corps just offshore $$$ to some mysterious bank in Bermuda or something? I don't know. I think corps will do that anyway, so keeping taxes reasonable (higher than Trump's rate) seems the best way to go. Sanders or Warren might do more to push back against this, but I don't know what the legality is with multinational corps. Seems like if they are an "American" company with American employees and the CEO is here, there should be more draconian auditing measures against offshoring money. I think Alphabet (holding co. for Google) is doing that now with Ireland. I guess Ireland has some cushy corporate tax breaks.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Hasn't that always been the argument? That if you keep corporate taxes high, the corps just offshore $$$ to some mysterious bank in Bermuda or something? I don't know. I think corps will do that anyway, so keeping taxes reasonable (higher than Trump's rate) seems the best way to go. Sanders or Warren might do more to push back against this, but I don't know what the legality is with multinational corps. Seems like if they are an "American" company with American employees and the CEO is here, there should be more draconian auditing measures against offshoring money. I think Alphabet (holding co. for Google) is doing that now with Ireland. I guess Ireland has some cushy corporate tax breaks.
    Up until a few years ago, if you were a US headquartered company, you got taxed on every penny of profit. Now you only get taxed on what you make from US sales. So all that international money made goes untaxed unless they move it to a US bank... which they will then be subject to a 35% repatriation tax... just to move it.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Up until a few years ago, if you were a US headquartered company, you got taxed on every penny of profit. Now you only get taxed on what you make from US sales. So all that international money made goes untaxed unless they move it to a US bank... which they will then be subject to a 35% repatriation tax... just to move it.
    I mean, not to defend multinational corporations, but that seems fair? Conceivably they would (and should) get taxed at the country of origin. Meaning if a Japanese person orders a new iMac, pays with Japanese Yen, and is ordered and delivered from a supply chain warehouse in Japan, that revenue would (and should) then be taxed by the country of Japan. Essentially we're talking about double dipping taxes. So revenue from Japan would be taxed by both Japan and by America if that revenue comes back in shore into an American bank.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Think Amazon did the same with having a headquarters in Luxembourg, or so I heard, lol.

Meanwhile, 900 some have died in NYC. Refrigeration trucks are acting as morgues, convention centers are temp hospitals.... but it is believed that the flattening the curve is starting to slow cases in NYC as well. Per Fauci. So, there's that at least.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Meanwhile, 900 some have died in NYC. Refrigeration trucks are acting as morgues, convention centers are temp hospitals.... but it is believed that the flattening the curve is starting to slow cases in NYC as well. Per Fauci. So, there's that at least.
    This seems like a prolonged thing. I don't see how we're going to open up major events like concerts, music festivals, large scale blockbuster movie theaters, sports arenas w/o seeing major blow-ups in cases again. Meaning even if Missouri has pushed it down to five known cases and about twenty unknown cases, one of those unknown cases could go see Wonder Woman 1984 on opening night in St. Louis and infect five people around him, thus creating a domino effect again where it blows up into the thousands. I just don't know what the endgame is unless everyone eventually gets positive this year and like chicken pox, you develop immunity to it. I haven't read enough to know if that's the case, yet. Like if you get it once, you can't get it again?

At any rate, if everyone in America (and most of the world getting it) w/ a 2% mortality rate would be brutal. We're looking at 7 million people dead in the USA by December 31st.
    Last edited by Pop Trash; 03-31-2020 at 08:53 PM.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

This seems like a prolonged thing. I don't see how we're going to open up major events like concerts, music festivals, large scale blockbuster movie theaters, sports arenas w/o seeing major blow-ups in cases again. Meaning even if Missouri has pushed it down to five known cases and about twenty unknown cases, one of those unknown cases could go see Wonder Woman 1984 on opening night in St. Louis and infect five people around him, thus creating a domino effect again where it blows up into the thousands. I just don't know what the endgame is unless everyone eventually gets positive this year and like chicken pox, you develop immunity to it. I haven't read enough to know if that's the case, yet. Like if you get it once, you can't get it again?

At any rate, everyone in America (and most of the world getting it) w/ a 2% mortality rate would be brutal. We're looking at 7 million people dead in the USA by December 31st.
    Isn't China more or less reopening for business by now?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Isn't China more or less reopening for business by now?
    I don't know. I don't think anybody knows the truth. I've heard they've started opening movie theaters in Wuhan, but the data I just looked at said 79 new cases there in the last 24 hours, but I don't think the WHO or any of the experts globally (Fauci, etc.) trusts the numbers from China. I think China might have a "you get it, you get it" attitude from now on, but I don't think our governors would stand for that.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Of course the biggest stop to this would be to develop a vaccine, which is happening right now. Experts are saying expect a year at the earliest, but let's say best case scenario, one is developed in six months. Then you would have to try and get 340M people vaccinated (plus the rest of the world) . I could see this being one of the rare instances where a vaccine might be federal law. Like an administrator signed off that you got it and if you don't: expect a huge fine or jail time. Then they would go through the process (like at the end of Contagion) of using your SS# or last name to go get the shot. Expect every health care worker in your area to be involved. Maybe even Army Corps of ENG. I imagine waiting in a big line at your local CVS, Target, Wal Mart, or Walgreens parking lot.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

You. Are. ESSENTIAL. You are on the frontlines. Stacking bananas and cans of creamed corn. The face of a warrior. The enemy is stealth but deadly. Wear a mask and gloves. Godspeed, soldier.
    We do close early so we can clean everything. I am lucky I still have a job.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

At any rate, if everyone in America (and most of the world getting it) w/ a 2% mortality rate would be brutal. We're looking at 7 million people dead in the USA by December 31st.
    It's believed to be a short-term immunity that if you got it once, you won't get it again.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

6.6 million newly unemployed added to the 3 million or so last week. Roughly 10 million newly unemployed in March. Covid-19 surpassing 1M worldwide. How's your day?

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

6.6 million newly unemployed added to the 3 million or so last week. Roughly 10 million newly unemployed in March. Covid-19 surpassing 1M worldwide. How's your day?
    Still employed luckily. But letting people know that they have zero hours for next week because we don't have work for them sure keeps me up. And it'll only be worse next week.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Kennedy Center gets $25 million bailout money in the Coronavirus Aid.

Furloughs its entire orchestra and many administrative people days later.

Dirrrrrrty.

Follow that money.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I still want to see something happen to those who suddenly dumped their stocks right before everything tanked.

Oh wait, when you're rich you're immune to the law.

I forgot myself for a moment

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I still want to see something happen to those who suddenly dumped their stocks right before everything tanked.

Oh wait, when you're rich you're immune to the law.

I forgot myself for a moment
    They just can afford lawyers to find the loopholes.

From what I understand, they won't be in any legal trouble because it was "their firm that sold the stocks on her behalf."

There's a raging bonfire outside those offices.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Thanks all for well wishes.

Took temp between tylenol doses, 102.4. Been talking to several friends and family professionals in the field, they're reassuring me I'm doing everything I should.

Today was rough. Couldnt be vertical more than 5 min without getting dizzy and throwing up. Found an old anti-nausea script, that seems to be helping.

Hope you feel better soon. What day is it for you?

Fever started sunday evening. So then to whatever day it is.

The US is now officially the worst hit country in the world (aside from China, but we all know their data is BS).

Good data.

https://www.wsj.com/graphics/where-a...home/?mod=e2tw

When people fear their privacy with google, amazon, apple, etc etc, this is the kind of good it can do.

Page 23 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast