View Poll Results: Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

11 78.57%
  • Nay

3 21.43%

Thread: Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Cathy Yan)

Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Cathy Yan)

Pantheon, S2 (C. Silverstein, 2023) ☆
    Pantheon, S1 (C. Silverstein, 2022)
    Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garc?a (S. Peckinpah, 1974)
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden, Dragon (A. Lee, 2000)
    Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (J. McNaughton, 1986) ☆
    Blowup (M. Antonioni, 1966) ☆
    Io capitano (M. Garrone, 2023) ☆
    Raging Bull (M. Scorsese, 1980)
    Network (S. Lumet, 1976) ☆
    Sideways (A. Payne, 2004) ☆

First time ☆

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    I enjoyed it. Reminded me of the animated stuff in a way. The (non)gore was a little much, and I kinda wish they had got someone more dynamic than Ewan McGregor to be the villain. But Margot is adorable and the action is stylish and crunchy. Maybe the most watchable DC film!
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    This was AWESOME. The movie does take its time to find footing in terms of tone and pacing, but after the first act, the narrative settles into the colorful, punky feel of the comics on which the movie is based. The characters are well-written thanks to motivations conveyed with heartfelt sincerity, and Margot Robbie continues to be great as Harley Quinn, who breaks the fourth wall sparingly, but when she does, it's done through the looks she gives to the camera. What's also worth noting is that the art direction succeeds in making Gotham look as dirty as it's ever looked (and gave me flashbacks to Batman Returns at points), while the action sequences are unique in their stylish violence and kinetic energy. The movie as a whole is anarchy with a feminine edge, and I enjoyed every second of it.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

That sounds fun! Hoping to watch this week

Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    I enjoyed it. Reminded me of the animated stuff in a way. The (non)gore was a little much, and I kinda wish they had got someone more dynamic than Ewan McGregor to be the villain. But Margot is adorable and the action is stylish and crunchy. Maybe the most watchable DC film!
    I thought McGregor was fantastic. I liked this a lot and Robbie and MEW were my favorites from the cast. The colors in this movie made up for some lesser elements and the soundtrack was mostly good (Barracuda was a cliche pick however). I could easily watch the cell block fight again.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

This was fun as hell! Wish it had been longer. I like how every DC movie they put out now seems to have a totally different tone but still feels like it could exist in the same plane.

Can’t add much that hasn’t already been said- Yes, this was a fun flick. I liked the entire cast, and will definitely see this again soon. The action sequences are where this film excelled beyond other DC/Marvel films.
    Last edited by Mal; 02-23-2020 at 03:28 AM.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    FYI: This is available on Amazon now
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

They should call this: "Flashbacks: The Movie"

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    They should call this: "Flashbacks: The Movie"
    They considered it, but it wouldve been embarrassing next to Anna.

Also the breakfast sandwich part is hilarious.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    They considered it, but it wouldve been embarrassing next to Anna.
    Oh God, THAT movie was terrible.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    Oh God, THAT movie was terrible.
    I also rewatched The Professional. How the serious fuck did the same guy direct both those movies? H O W

- - - - -
    This was so dull I didn't bother finishing it. (Hence no vote.)

I liked the cast & Robbie is fine as Harley. But it took an ~hour for the main plot to kick in and once it does, it's a FedEx Quest --- please, Harley, fetch me the McGuffin, would you?

Also, I thought it was decidedly weird that for a movie (and a character) marketed around some "girl power" bullshit, Harley can't stop talking about her ex-.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I also rewatched The Professional. How the serious fuck did the same guy direct both those movies? H O W
    His movies got progressively worse each time out. I don't know how that happens. It's weird. "La Femme Nikita" is still great but watching it is almost depressing know the he's gonna make stupid shit like "Lucy" and "City of a Thousand Planets" later in his career.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Also, I thought it was decidedly weird that for a movie (and a character) marketed around some "girl power" bullshit, Harley can't stop talking about her ex-.
    This is a quintessential aspect of the character since her inception. If anything, they downplayed it (out of fear and PC concerns) by setting the Joker story before the movie starts. Besides, they made it sort of the point of her character arc.

But I agree with everything else you say. The plot is perfunctory and boring and it leaves several characters severely underdeveloped. I'm tempted to give it a Yay because there are enough things about it that are cool and the actors, specially Robbie and McGregor, are clearly having fun. Winstead is also hilarious. One thing that bugs me, though, and I know it really shouldn't, is the way most characters are altered from the comics into versions that are just bland. Like, McGregor is funny as the gay mobster, but his insanity (and his mask) seem just random in the movie. Zsasz is also... Look, the gay henchman could have been anyone, they just made him Zsasz to have a character from the comics and they ruined him for future movies. But enough about being an anal nerd. The movie itself is not horrible (and certainly a huge improvement over Suicide Squad) and it is occasionally very funny but I found the script very lacking, and I'm tired of giving a pass to Hollywood movies that spend millions of dollars in pre-production but have bad screenplays.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 03-26-2020 at 01:30 PM.

Producer
    The trailer gives off major Deadpool-wannabe vibe that I'm mildly and pleasantly surprised that the actual film is more focused on exuberance and the lead's emotional arc than that, even if it isn't lacking for some self-aware gimmicks either, including two rather shoddily-placed flashbacks. The tired, generic script (incidentally after I looked it up, the same thing I wrote about the otherwise similarly likeable, well-directed Bumblebee from the same writer) of retrieving a MacGuffin hampers it a lot, but there are enough fun jokes sprinkled throughout, actors having great time (Robbie especially is so infectiously irreverent), and sharp, clear action scenes to make this a good time overall. 6.5/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Producer
    My DCEU current ranking:

4/5
    Wonder Woman

3/5
    Birds of Prey
    Shazam!
    Man of Steel
    Justice League

2.5/5
    Aquaman
    BvS

1.5/5
    Suicide Squad
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Was kind of blown away by how good this was.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Meh.

I'm starting to flip. Originally I thought this and Aquaman were the best DCEU movies.

But I'm starting to kinda see why people enjoy the Synder stuff now. Those are at least way more interesting.

Films like this and Shazam are forgettable.

This or Bad Boys for Life?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

This.

Part of it is just being so damned tired of Jason Momoa and his shtick (seriously, GoT seems to be the only time he hasn't just shown up on set and read his lines as Jason Momoa), but I loathe him as Aquaman.

The Aquabro memes and jokes are spot on. He comes across like such a douchebag. And not the loveable, "he's cocky but has a big heart" kind like RDJ's Stark. He's just a tool.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    This or Bad Boys for Life?
    this, definitely