View Poll Results: The Two Popes (Fernando Meirelles)

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Canonize it

2 66.67%
  • Excommunicate it

1 33.33%

Thread: The Two Popes (Fernando Meirelles)

The Two Popes (Fernando Meirelles)

I both love and hate this movie so much it's hard for me to click on the poll. I love it because of its absolutely genius casting and the fact that it addresses the precise subjects I took it for granted it would glaze over (paedophilia, the history of Pope Francis during the Argentinian dictatorship) and that it has Jonathan Pryce speaking perfect Spanish with the correct accent - seriously, how did he pull that off? I hated it because of its distracting direction (Fernando, when you have Hopkins and Pryce carrying your dialogue, there's no need for directorial fireworks) and the fact that the writing is often subpar and too plain. I feel there was a better movie about this subject and at the same time I feel pleasantly amazed and grateful that a movie could be made about this subject.

Many people will also hate it because they'll argue it ultimately gives the Catholic church a pass on many things. But I'd argue it's a matter of perspective - the movie's POV is that of Pope Francis and his character's arc is about learning to cope with guilt, not renouncing the church all together. It's anchored by the reality of two characters who still believe in their institution and, as a result, it would be out of place for it to feel like it completely condemns their office. I mean, it's difficult for me as an audience to empathize with a person who would accept becoming the Pope, but the film does a good job with that.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 02-10-2020 at 05:51 PM.

Editor
    Pryce and Hopkins are so good together that I don’t even mind the banal banter McCarten has written for them that much (well, except for those cringey ABBA and Beatles bits which make me die a little inside, and I am usually not one to mind such references. Can a scene feel dated as soon as it happens onscreen?). Their scenes together crackle with chemistry, and the actors supply world-weary, lived-in weight to their lines, arguments, and discussions such that they singlehandedly add some semblance of nuance to what the script barely provides. Which is why those extended flashbacks are so frustratingly momentum-killing and comparatively dull. Pryce reciting his past with deep regret at length, with Hopkins’ reaction shots throughout, would surely have been twice more effective and haunting, and with at least half the length too. 6/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Editor
    Also, I believe Pryce was dubbed.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    Also, I believe Pryce was dubbed.
    Aaaaah ok, that makes sense. I've never seen an English-speaking person pull off an Argentinian accent like that, even people who have actually lived here for more than a decade.

There's already a poll for this one:

http://matchcut.artboiled.com/showth...ndo-Meirelles)

Need a merge!

My bad.