• Yay

10 90.91%
  • Nay

1 9.09%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Underwater (William Eubank)

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    started watching Sphere Friday night before we lost power.
    Definitely one of the worst movies I've seen in a theater, if not overall.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)

Never saw Sphere, but I unfortunately saw The Island of Dr Moreau w/ Brando in theaters.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Never saw Sphere, but I unfortunately saw The Island of Dr Moreau w/ Brando in theaters.
    haha oh yeah. somehow dodged that bullet when a buncha friends paid to see in the theater.

haha oh yeah. somehow dodged that bullet when a buncha friends paid to see in the theater.
    The opening credits were the best part of the movie. Shit went down hill FAST.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Emmrich Godzilla was up there for me

It seems water is all the rage nowadays. Duke and his wife are going through a veritable onslaught of water-based movies. I've been doing the same, resaw Leviathan a few days back. I find such movies easily digestible, the prospect of 'what the hell else could be down there' intrigues me no end even if the FX by Stan Winston are kinda given a rough shake because of how clumsily and frenetically the monster is shown. Also, Amanda Pays who, I hasten to add, is not shown clumsily and frenetically.

Incidentally, I'm reading a novel now by Lincoln 'The Relic' Child called 'Deep Storm' about a doctor who is summoned to a submerged oceanographic facility to assist on an archaeological dig. Do I need to say that what's down there is not what they thought was down there? Very Sphere-like, which is also a book I reread about a month ago.

And sure, enough yesterday I saw the greatest movie of 2020, namely Underwater. And I gotta say, I kinda, sorta get why Meg (and others) likes it so much. Without reading some of the earlier posts in this thread, I vaguely thought 'Lovecraft' by the end even without really being very familiar with his work. And sure enough, that gut feeling seemed to have been right. Furthermore, I'm thinking Meg likes it so much because the initial premise is not dissimilar to, well, Meg of course. It's set in the Mariana trench, deepest place in the sea, it's about hitherto undiscovered species of underwater life although here it's not a Megalodon Carcharodon, but something rather more impressive. It even has a scene of the lead [
    ] which is exactly what Jonas Taylor did in the totally bonkers finale of Steve Alten's novel. I didn't like the beginning of this movie too much. Very noisy, obnoxious even. It wastes no time which is either a negative or a positive depending on how you see it. I realized pretty soon it was going to be a survival movie similar to Gravity and I settled into its rhythm around the 15 minute mark. It's gripping stuff, I thought it looked coherent and clear enough with some pretty good production values. The movie is derivative, although lots of movies are and that should not be an issue when done right. I think it was here. Funnily enough, what came to mind was not so much Alien or Abyss or Leviathan, but Neil Marshall's The Descent. I have to give this flick credit for coming up with some pretty amazing adversaries. The final one was totally awe-inspiring and frightening. I could have thought "yeah right" but instead thought "Holy crap that thing's down there?!" I marveled at how the [
    ] And you never get a really vibrant look at it, but here that worked in its favor rather than them making use of the darkness to make up for any budgetary constraints.

This is not a movie I will see 6 times, but it was memorable seeing it once. Maybe I'll get a discount 4K version in the future to give my surround setup a true workout.

Post-script: This was announced in February 2017 it seems. Shit.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

My first watch of Underwater was...less than vhs quality.

Starting 2nd watch in screaming HD...

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Unpopular opinion time: I like TJ Miller’s style and delivery in movies. Of course, it won’t fit in just anything, but he’s fine in this
    I rewatched Deadpool 2 the other day and rewatching this...I'm coming around on him. Thats two movies in one week with TJ Miller where stuffed animals played a significant role .

2nd watch, Underwater is easily the leader for me for 2020 (admittedly I have a lot of other films to get to yet). But The Abyss meets Pitch Black? With suits that tell me a Gears of War movie should already be in production. Is this rewriting cinema or going on my top 100? Nah. But I eat the shit out movies like this. This is my jam.

(30 min left)

They should show this movie the way they did some of those Jaws showings. Outdoors near a pond, giant screen, audience all on intertubes lol. That would be dope

While we're discussing underwater movies, this is the part where I give my obligatory recommendation to check out 47 Meters Down again.

(But not the sequel)

Anyways, y'alls reactions are making me want to consider giving this one a second chance.

Enjoyed this video game of a movie. It's at its best when utilizing claustrophobia to confuse the cast rather than the action sequences that are simply hard to follow.

Imagine this as a VR Experience in the POV. It'd be terrifying.

Could totally see this as a movie where I'll get caught up watching it if it happens to be on.

And applause to Kristen Stewart who just makes running around in her skivvies seem so easy.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Kind of feels weird that I'm rating this the same as Judas and the Black Messiah, but here we are.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Yeah, this was better than it deserved to be. The design lf everything was pedestrian but competent, TJ Miller played the same character from Deadpool and Cloverfield yet again, but I enjoyed the cast, the action wasn't obvious or stupid, some nice scares, and a couple of truly amazing shots towards the end. I've always rooted for Stewart, even at the height of Twilight hate, and it's good to see her finding her niche in edgy and demanding roles where she's always inexplicably barely dressed, I guess.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123