Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: January Sci-Fi-athon!

I like Arrival, but do think it’s a bit overrated. I’d rank it among the weakest of Villeneuve’s films that I’ve seen.

I loved Arrival. Annihilation was great but had a lot of flaws and I'm not sure I liked the ending.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

I appreciated the filmmaking in Arrival, I own the blu-ray, and I don't know if I can watch it again. That movie kinda traumatized me, as a parent.

It certainly plays up the schmaltz and tear jerking, but man, it totally got me.

The visuals were astounding, not only in terms of shot placement and framing, but also in visual design. The aliens their ship, the language...it was kind of brilliant.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Whelp, the wife and I are on episode 4 now so it looks like we'll be chugging along. The world building that has occurred so far in 3 episodes is fucking impressive as hell.
    Fastest we've ever binged through a season (even with the baby). On Episode 6 of Season 2 already.

It's a good show.

The concept is kinda goofy if you can get past it. Like, the human race has advanced in technology to the point where we have humans living in Mars, Earth, the Asteroid Belt and in random space stations across the solar system. And that's the crux of the show; these civilizations have become so patriotic to the point of where Mars would want to declare war on Earth and visa versa.

Though, the advantage of living in any place other than Earth makes little to no sense. There's very little benefit to living in space.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Fastest we've ever binged through a season (even with the baby). On Episode 6 of Season 2 already.

It's a good show.

The concept is kinda goofy if you can get past it. Like, the human race has advanced in technology to the point where we have humans living in Mars, Earth, the Asteroid Belt and in random space stations across the solar system. And that's the crux of the show; these civilizations have become so patriotic to the point of where Mars would want to declare war on Earth and visa versa.

Though, the advantage of living in any place other than Earth makes little to no sense. There's very little benefit to living in space.
    Almost to the end of Season 2 now...

The build they are doing is similar to the whitewalkers in game of thrones. Not much is known. But plenty to fear... which is a hard thing to do in TV.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Do we have a MC consensus of Disney's The Black Hole? I fucking love this movie.

Almost to the end of Season 2 now...

The build they are doing is similar to the whitewalkers in game of thrones. Not much is known. But plenty to fear... which is a hard thing to do in TV.
    Midway through Season 3 now.

Seriously you guys need to watch this. There's some end of episode cliffhangers that are stingers in the same vein as those epic Breaking Bad episodes.

Ugh I hated that

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Ugh I hated that
    No way...

[]

No way...

[]
    I wasnt a big fan of the show. Opening of episode was awesome tease, 40 minutes of complaining/arguing with bipolar Skylar, cliffhanger last few minutes. Way too many episodes like that.

Do we have a MC consensus of Disney's The Black Hole? I fucking love this movie.
    You fucking love this movie, I fucking love this movie. That is all the MC Consensus that I need.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

It's on D+.

No way it's better than Flight of the Navigator right?

I haven't seen The Black Hole since childhood, but goddamn that movie scared the crap out of me.

I also still remember the theme song perfectly.

It's on D+.

No way it's better than Flight of the Navigator right?
    Yes way. Pilot of the Navigator: some punk kid. Pilot of The Palomino: Robert Forster.
    Last edited by bac0n; 01-28-2020 at 07:31 PM.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    You fucking love this movie, I fucking love this movie. That is all the MC Consensus that I need.
    YES

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I haven't seen The Black Hole since childhood, but goddamn that movie scared the crap out of me.

I also still remember the theme song perfectly.
    I love films with overtures, and that theme is impossible to not hear at any mention of the film.

The ending is still just dark as all fuck.

FINAL TALLY

1. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
    2. Terminator 4: Salvation
    3. The Time Machine (2002)
    4. Star Wars: Episode 9: Rise of Skywalker
    5. Mortal Engines
    6. Solomon Kane
    7. Halo: Legends
    8. Halo: Fall of Reach
    9. Cloud Atlas
    10. Iron Man 3
    11. Aliens of the Deep
    12. Capsule
    13. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: 2nd Gig
    14. Starslammer
    15. Guardians
    16. Avatar
    17. Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier
    18. The Creamators
    19. The Predator
    20. Time Walker
    21. Dredd
    22. Fan4stic
    23. Independence Day 2: Resurgence
    24. Pacific Rim 2: Uprising
    25. Hell Comes to Frogtown
    26. Equalizer 2000
    27. Lockout
    28. Annihilation
    29. Splice
    30. Apollo 11
    31. First Man
    32. Wall-E
    33. Avengers 2: Age of Ultron
    34. Captain America 3: Civil War
    35. Ex Machina
    36. Looper
    37. Def Con 4: Defense Condition
    38. Age of Tomorrow
    39. Battle L.A.
    40. Mongolian Death Worm
    41. Dr. Strange
    42. The Maze Runner
    43. The Shape of Things to Come
    44. Ant-Man
    45. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
    46. Closer to God
    47. The Black Holer
    48. Spider-Man 6: Homecoming
    49. Total Recall (2012)
    50. Black Panther
    51. Scorpio One
    52. Moonbase
    53. Terminal Force (aka Galaxis)
    54. Avengers 4: Infinity War
    55. Avengers 5: Endgame
    56. The Stuff
    57. Captain Marvel
    58. Riddick 3
    59. Runaway
    60. Terminator 5: Genisys
    61. Star Trek 12: Into Darkness
    62. Terminator 6: Dark Fate
    63. The Sisterhood

All in all, a fun experiment. I think next January we will pick a different genre.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    30. Apollo 11
    This was my favorite film of 2019. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it!
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Producer
    Midway through Season 3 now.

Seriously you guys need to watch this. There's some end of episode cliffhangers that are stingers in the same vein as those epic Breaking Bad episodes.
    Don't know if you finished it yet, but I belatedly finished The Expanse season 4. My thoughts, no spoiler: The budget upgrade with the move from Syfy to Amazon really shows, especially with the "planet" setting of the season. After the incredible fast-paced momentum of weaving plot/character/world-building together throughout Season 2 and 3 though, this one slows down considerably, becoming a transition season of sort, with some reset and plot-holding. I think the show's biggest struggle is from having to separate several groups of characters, in which previously each one's plotting still shared the element of living through the protomolecule near-apocalypse together, into entirely different lives of their own, thus the levels of interest aren't the same (I gather from book readers that this is almost the consensus weakest book, to the point that some had hoped it would be done in half a season, so the fact that the quality remains good is promising). Also, after the murky moral dilemma and grey quagmires of seasons past, having a clear-cut traditional villain here, no matter how effective they are written and acted, is kind of a bummer. Still very absorbing and interesting though, with a slew of engaging new characters/situations, and the last few episodes capture the old "everything goes to shit and we need to sci-fi the hell out of these impossibilities immediately" atmosphere quite nicely.

Season 2 (A) > Season 3 (A) >> Season 4 (B+) > Season 1 (B+)
    Last edited by Peng; 02-27-2020 at 03:14 PM.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    Don't know if you finished it yet, but I belatedly finished The Expanse season 4. My thoughts, no spoiler: The budget upgrade with the move from Syfy to Amazon really shows, especially with the "planet" setting of the season. After the incredible fast-paced momentum of weaving plot/character/world-building together throughout Season 2 and 3 though, this one slows down considerably, becoming a transition season of sort, with some reset and plot-holding. I think the show's biggest struggle is from having to separate several groups of characters, in which previously each one's plotting still shared the element of living through the protomolecule near-apocalypse together, into entirely different lives of their own, thus the levels of interest aren't the same (I gather from book readers that this is almost the consensus weakest book, to the point that some had hoped it would be done in half a season, so the fact that the quality remains good is promising). Also, after the murky moral dilemma and grey quagmires of seasons past, having a clear-cut traditional villain here, no matter how effective they are written and acted, is kind of a bummer. Still very absorbing and interesting though, with a slew of engaging new characters/situations, and the last few episodes capture the old "everything goes to shit and we need to sci-fi the hell out of these impossibilities immediately" atmosphere quite nicely.

Season 2 (A) > Season 3 (A) >> Season 4 (B+) > Season 1 (B+)
    My wife and I put Season 4 on hold during Oscar Season.

But we have finished episode 7 of Season 4 and I agree with everything you've said so far. It's a weird dynamic with Season 4 because the "villain" is someone who is not always very villany. They need to work together in some instances for for good of the camp.

I read a little bit about the books- because I was so confused why Fred Johnson and Jared Harris seemingly disappeared from the stories and replaced with Camina and Klaes. Was this a part of the books? Or was this to save money on the actors?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12