Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • J.J to the rescue!

7 35.00%
  • It was nice knowing you Rian

13 65.00%
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

I’ll take the emotionally charged, operatic light saber battle of ROTJ over any of the overly choreographed silliness in the prequels any day.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Qui-Gon got ganked like a punk.

Luke tried to murder his own father --- twice.

#SKYWALKER4LYFE
    Luke acted in defense in Empire and also didn't know it was his father. He knew to expect SOMETHING but was unsure what exactly to expect.

and

RoTJ was his rage to fight his father until he finally resisted the dark side.

BTW- I've decided I don't hate [
    ]
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Luke acted in defense in Empire and also didn't know it was his father. He knew to expect SOMETHING but was unsure what exactly to expect.

and

RoTJ was his rage to fight his father until he finally resisted the dark side.
    The overreach was part of the joke.

BUT.

I'm pretty sure if you pull a lightsaber on somebody, you intend to kill them. It's not like Luke wandered around Cloud City thinking, well, if Vader shows up I'll just defend myself until he goes away.

In ROTJ, if he'd gotten a lucky saber hit during his freakout and landed a blow on Vader's head instead of his wrist, the direction of the entire galaxy would have gone differently.

(This is also my only remaining beef with "Jedi" --- the ending is a copout. The film is set up for Luke to go bad, and it would have been world's more interesting if he had. Especially now, years on, because that plot point would naturally suggest half the story of Episodes 7-9.)

Snoke was such a fucking waste.

But you know who was even more of a waste?

Phasma.

She was built up SO much pre-TFA, and then again for TLJ.

Did she even have 5 minutes of screen time between the two movies?

So ridiculous.
    Last edited by megladon8; 12-21-2019 at 08:45 PM.

The overreach was part of the joke.

BUT.

I'm pretty sure if you pull a lightsaber on somebody, you intend to kill them. It's not like Luke wandered around Cloud City thinking, well, if Vader shows up I'll just defend myself until he goes away.

In ROTJ, if he'd gotten a lucky saber hit during his freakout and landed a blow on Vader's head instead of his wrist, the direction of the entire galaxy would have gone differently.

(This is also my only remaining beef with "Jedi" --- the ending is a copout. The film is set up for Luke to go bad, and it would have been world's more interesting if he had. Especially now, years on, because that plot point would naturally suggest half the story of Episodes 7-9.)
    He didn't even have his lightsaber out until he was confronted by Vadar. He was walking around with his gun... and Leia was also screaming "it's a trap" as he was following them.

Totally agree with your ROTJ take; but I'm fine the way it ended. I wanted Rise of Skywalker to end that way. (basically KYlo and Rey switching roles)

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)

Plasma.

So ridiculous.
    I can't give you more rep. dammit.

Heh "Plasma".

But if we are going to get mad at that casting we also have to get mad at Max von Sydow (who may have had more screen time) .

Is it because of Vader?

It's totally legit if it is ... but every time you say this I get the overwhelming sense it's because of Vader and no other reason
    Yeah, I freely admit to being a Vader fan boy. Rogue one felt more like a war movie than a traditional Star Wars movie. Even without the 10/10 ending, I enjoy it. The droid is great, the movie is more ‘dark’, and it has Donnie Mother Fucking Yen as a pseudo-Jedi. If it weren’t for Vader, he would’ve been my favorite part of the movie.

....and now I’m suddenly reminded of how wasted he was in Blade II.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Luke going Dark Side to defeat Vader makes Last Jedi work for me. That, combined with his failure with Kylo makes him going all hermit makes sense to me. And his final confrontation with Kylo is extremely well done. I love how they emphasize the foot work in the duel.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Luke going Dark Side to defeat Vader makes Last Jedi work for me. That, combined with his failure with Kylo makes him going all hermit makes sense to me. And his final confrontation with Kylo is extremely well done. I love how they emphasize the foot work in the duel.
    Its totally logical. I know everyone wanted Luke to really face down Kylo and the New Order, but its the middle film. If they had actually met, Luke would've had to die at Kylo's hands, and that would've sucked. Kylo can't kill both Han and Luke, and he has to be the bad for part three, so Luke has to win but also not kill Kylo. Rian found a way for Luke to win and also fall, its perfect.

As for going all hermit, its exactly what he was taught to do by Yoda and Kenobi. As for tossing the lightsaber, he threw away his own saber in RotJ, and she handed him the saber that his father used to kill a shitload of Jedi and younglings...imagine if someone handed you a sword with a nazi emblem on it and basically said "rejoin the fight!"

Speaking of which, we don't really understand where maz kanata got his saber do we?

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I'm not defending any entry as good...but episode 2 is the worst.

Also, using "green screen" and "lifeless lightsaber battles" as negatives to ep1 in defense of ep2? Bro...
    I have never defended Ep.2. It is terrible beyond any defense.

Sent from my Mi 9 Lite using Tapatalk

Speaking of which, we don't really understand where maz kanata got his saber do we?
    That’s a good question, for another time.

*crickets*

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    [
    ]

- - - - -

Phasma.

So ridiculous.
    On one hand, I really thought somebody somewhere at LucasFilm would have learned a lesson from Boba Fett and Darth Maul --- don't take cool looking characters and burgeoning fan favorites and toss them aside like they're nothing.

OTOH, these movies are designed around toys first and story second.

Except when it came to Baby Yoda... which is bizarre.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    [
    ]
    I probably should have said it differently; [
    ]. I hate the decision ultimately, but from what we were already handed with Force Awakens and TLJ... I'm just left thinking: "Sure that's about what I expected.".

- - - - -
    Exocet when it came to Baby Yoda... which is bizarre.
    THIS IS BECAUSE BABY YODA IS GOOD AND PURE AND EVERYTHING THAT IS RIGHT WITH THE WORLD

(and also a sign that Iger was seriously hedging his bets when it came to the show)

THIS IS BECAUSE BABY YODA IS GOOD AND PURE AND EVERYTHING THAT IS RIGHT WITH THE WORLD

(and also a sign that Iger was seriously hedging his bets when it came to the show)
    As someone who NEEDS a good villain, I can’t stop wanting to keep baby Yoda safe from any and all bad things in the galaxy.

It kind of reminds me from something 15 years ago, give or take. I was spending the weekend at the cabin up north, and my younger brother showed up the following morning. I heard the car door slam shut, so I opened the cabin door and yelled “About time you show up you.. OH MY GOD, aren’t you the most adorable little thing?!” as a golden retriever puppy (Koko) waddled up to me.

MYSTERY BOX

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    MYSTERY BOX
    At this point, I'm glad they never explained it, the explanation would've been just as dry toast as all the exposition in this movie.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    At this point, I'm glad they never explained it, the explanation would've been just as dry toast as all the exposition in this movie.
    I agree, it didn't need an explanation. That being said, I care more about that back story than who's Rey's parents are.

Is it true there is absolutely zero explanation as to how the Emperor is back?

Is it true there is absolutely zero explanation as to how the Emperor is back?
    He is one with the dark side, and the dark side is with him
    *coming soon*

Top 100

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast