7 35.00%
  • It was nice knowing you Rian

13 65.00%
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    wrong
    Great points all around.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    FWIW, I'm not saying the simple presence of these themes automatically makes it a good film. But for the sake of argument, even if The Last Jedi does fail at that, I'll still take The Last Jedi trying to invest the books with thematic meaning and stumbling rather than JJ Abrams using plot objects like they're the artifact hunt at the end of a Metroid Prime game.

And in general, I'll take a Star War that genuinely tries and overreaches over one that offers up iconography like pre-chewed paste to baby-bird into my mouth.
    You always were better with them thar words than me.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Great points all around.
    I respond to what I'm given!
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I started to read Duke's review, thinking, "I didn't spoiler anything." Then... I was like, that liar, and I looked up and saw he meant that he didn't spoiler tag anything...

So then I called myself silly, stopped reading, and will return at a future time.
    My bad Eric. :-/
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

[
    ]
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

How about that Deus ex machina ending?

[
    ]

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    [
    ]
    I laughed at that.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    [
    ]
    [
    ]

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)

[
    ]
    Lando promised Colt 45.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    [
    ]
    Sigh. Rise of The Kitchen Sink makes me like Last Jedi so much more.

[
    ]
    [
    ]

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Can we all just agree that Babu was a delight? I couldn't stop laughing about him at one point. I prolly looked a little insane.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Can we all just agree that Babu was a delight? I couldn't stop laughing about him at one point. I prolly looked a little insane.
    Yes. 3PO had some surprisingly good lines too.

Yes! Something I enjoyed!

I have spoken.

1.Return of the Jedi 1983 ★★★★★
    We start the film with our heroes divided and end the film coming together. There's something to be said about the journey these characters go through and where they end. Jedi has the best balance of the characters and the stakes are real.

2.The Empire Strikes Back 1980 ★★★★★
    Love the journey- Heroes start together, break apart, come back together, only to end on a huge cliffhanger.

3.Star Wars 1977 ★★★★½
    There's probably more world building in this small film than there is in any of the others combined. What Lucas was able to do on this budget, with 1977 technology, continues to impress.

4.Rogue One: A Star Wars Story 2016 ★★★
    Dark, humorless, and plenty of fan service, but scale and stakes are well represented.

5.Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace 1999 ★★★
    Has the best use of lightsabers in the canon films, best lightsaber battle, pod-racing adds some wonderful SFX, but too much trade federation and diplomatic talk. Comic relief is a huge miss.

6.Solo: A Star Wars Story 2018 ★★★
    Out of the newer films, probably has the most Star Wars feel to it with the Millennium Falcon, Lando and Chewy playing major roles. Looks very ugly.

7.Star Wars: The Force Awakens 2015 ★★½
    Too much fan service, too many retreads, unoriginal ideas and misuse of casting. BAD dialog.

8.Star Wars: The Last Jedi 2017 ★★½
    Quality of character consistency drops regarding major decision making, purpose and story arcs. Unbalanced pacing, but there are choice satisfying scenes to leave tickling fans for more.

9.Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith 2005 ★★½
    Solid light-saber fights but bloated script bogs down the entire film.

10.Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker 2019 ★★
    TBD Tagline

11.Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones 2002 ★★
    Terrible acting by Hayden Christensen, forced no chemistry love story, and a CGI mess of a battle, my eyes bleed.

12.Star Wars: The Clone Wars 2008 ★½
    Unwatchable.

I only really care that Clone Wars is on the bottom of every Star Wars list.

Rogue One and Episode I above... anything is simply madness. Worst use of effects with tons of pointless green screen and highly staged lifeless lightsaber "battles" are among the worst things in Episode I.

Sent from my Mi 9 Lite using Tapatalk

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    Rogue One and Episode I above... anything is simply madness. Worst use of effects with tons of pointless green screen and highly staged lifeless lightsaber "battles" are among the worst things in Episode I.

Then consider me insane. Rogue One is probably my favorite post original trilogy movie.

Rogue One is a 6 with a 10 ending.

I'm not defending any entry as good...but episode 2 is the worst.

Also, using "green screen" and "lifeless lightsaber battles" as negatives to ep1 in defense of ep2? Bro...
    Last edited by Skitch; 12-21-2019 at 12:45 PM.

Episode One- It feels like a Star Wars movie. I dont even care about Jar Jar anymore. The pod-racing stuff is very decent. And they really showcase what true Jedi can accomplish; before Episode One, we saw Luke fumble around for three movies. After rewatching Return of the Jedi recently people forget that Luke acts more like a Sith in the opening act rather than a Jedi. Did those pig guards really need to die? Is threatening Jabba the right approach? You never see Qui-Gon act like this and It paints how and what a Jedi should be nicely. IT's only when Luke talks to Yoda a final time where he becomes more passive towards the Jedi title. And those lightsaber battles are fabulous.

Not enough credit is given to Lucas on crafting the worlds and tone for a pre-Empire world. I especially appreciate this scene more in a New Hope. "The imperial Senate will no longer be any concern for us... Fear will keep the local systems in line"

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Rogue One is a 6 with a 10 ending.
    This. So many forgettable characters.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

- - - - -
    After rewatching Return of the Jedi recently people forget that Luke acts more like a Sith in the opening act rather than a Jedi. Did those pig guards really need to die? Is threatening Jabba the right approach? You never see Qui-Gon act like this
    Qui-Gon got ganked like a punk.

Luke tried to murder his own father --- twice.

#SKYWALKER4LYFE

- - - - -
    Then consider me insane. Rogue One is probably my favorite post original trilogy movie.
    Is it because of Vader?

It's totally legit if it is ... but every time you say this I get the overwhelming sense it's because of Vader and no other reason

lol...so ah...yeah, I fucked up.

Involved in three different text conversations about Star Wars. Ask my buddy how he felt about it playing out that [
    ]. His response was "what? I haven't seen ep9 yet." Cardinal sin.

Thanks cough medicine and whiskey and flu

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast