Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • J.J to the rescue!

7 35.00%
  • It was nice knowing you Rian

13 65.00%
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Is it true there is absolutely zero explanation as to how the Emperor is back?
    [
    ]

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Speaking of which, we don't really understand where maz kanata got his saber do we?
    My pet theory is Maz had a box of lightsabers in the basement, and sold them to passing rubes. "That? Oh, yeah. That's totally Skywalker's lightsaber."

Like how you might see Sam Houston's "real, genuine, authentic pistol" hanging over the bar at a honky-tonk in Texas, or somebody claiming their uncle has Robert E. Lee's West Point cadet saber mounted over their fireplace.

Maz let Rey have one because she felt sorry for this down and out rando orphan.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    [
    ]
    [
    ]

Also I'm.....mixed on this. The beats of the plot move so fast that it's impossible to feel the emotional weight of what's going on, and a trend in most Disney films (one that lowers its stakes) makes its presence here in the second half. But a lot of the new characters are interesting (Keri Russell's, especially), the score and action sequences are tremendous and this is arguably Abrams' best-looking film in terms of cinematography and visual effects.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    [
    ]
    He did. I mentioned it in my review. He called it "Dark Science... secrets only the Sith know"
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I have decided, rather than catching this during my two weeks in NZ, I'm going to concentrate on (a) getting this goddamn grading done FFS and (b) eating and drinking as much as possible with friends and family. I'll get to it when it turns up in Korea in January.

Just in case you were wondering.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

I still think it would have been best to have Rey end up being the twin sister of Kylo.

They elope and find a small planet in the middle of nowhere, have two children, name them Adam and Eve and call the planet “Earth”.

We are all the product of inbreeding.

Fast forward to 2019. Donald Trump is POTUS, 99% of people get their political opinions from celebrity talk shows, and Disney is gathering resources to build their first off world spice mine. Disney CEO is revealed to be a still living Emperor Palpatine.

STAR WARS
    Last edited by megladon8; 12-23-2019 at 12:05 AM.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    He did. I mentioned it in my review. He called it "Dark Science... secrets only the Sith know"
    [
    ]
    Last edited by Ivan Drago; 12-23-2019 at 12:58 AM.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    [
    ]
    [
    ]

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I remember chatting with one of my irl friends who hates Last Jedi with a passion that will burn forever (to the point he says it worse that the prequels), and one of his points was "where the hell were the knights of ren?" , to which I responded, "What? Who?"

And that was one of his major points of why TLJ was one of the worst films ever made.

He said they were "set up in Force Awakens as a major threat." I didnt even know what he was talking about and I own star wars encyclopedias and dozens of books and shit
    Last edited by Skitch; 12-23-2019 at 01:19 AM.

Producer
    Taken with a grain of salt maybe, but...

Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Ehh.

I can buy that Abrams didn't care for The Last Jedi, and I can also buy compromises along the way, but I find it hard to believe that his immediate and resultant choice was, "I know exactly how to right this ship, I'll write a story based around an obscure relic known only to fans of Clone Wars and plot out a story with George Lucas, you know, the guy I didn't have to answer to for The Force Awakens and who actively criticized my movie for being derivative. The guy whose big idea for a sequel trilogy was 'even more midi-chlorians.'"

Reads a lot more like a burnt fanboy redditor who grew up during the prequel era and loves that universe and George as a result and has a chip on their shoulder.

I think it's much more likely that this movie is basically the skeleton of what JJ wanted to do, but he had neither the time he needed (due to the abbreviated post-Trevorrow timeline) nor a collaborator with good story sense (Terrio is a step down from Kasdan), and so this became yet another modern movie where the creative development is stifled by the release date, and where, as a result, important story issues are "fixed" (re: band-aided over) with post-production reshoots.

It also doesn't make sense that Iger was the one who didn't like the Last Jedi? So they decided to give Johnson his own trilogy (BEFORE the film even released btw so they can't lean on BO performance even)?

This reeks of some dude on the internet thinking he knows more than he does.

Agree with both of you. I hate stories like this...I know the Hollywood machine is oft illogical, but that write up is far too illogical.

It’s here.

Can't wait! Watching now.

Come for the Star Wars, stay for the Marriage Story review!
    Last edited by Mal; 12-23-2019 at 04:17 PM.

OMG I forgot about that magic coin that Keri Russell gives Poe. LOL

OMG I forgot about that magic coin that Keri Russell gives Poe. LOL
    LOL and all the[
    ]

No thank you.

This sucked. I didn’t like Last Jedi but I would watch that five times in order to not watch this again.

This was pretty bad, but what do you expect when a trilogy has no cohesion in the first place? This is a combination of JJ, Rian, and the producers for never being aligned in having a true story in the first place.

It's a waste of potential. Rey, Kylo Ren, Poe, and Finn were all interesting characters and well acted. Heck, I was pretty interested in what Zorii Bliss and Maz Kanata brought to the table too, but wasted potential.

This movie feels like I had it summarized to me by an eight year old, especially the first act. There's so many random things introduced, quick solutions, nowhere plot twists, that I just started laughing at it all. It finally starts to come together a little when it settles into a good conflict between Rey, Kylo Ren, and Emperor Palpatine. Ultimately, I walked out with a big sigh.

Other random quips:
    -Liked the little alien with Zorii Bliss. Effectively funny the entire time.
    -Snoke/Palpatine and the random planet is another example of why this whole trilogy is pretty bad. Snoke should've really just been the reincarnated Palpatine, or absorbed energy, something...
    -The random solutions are just so bad. "I AM THE SPY!" "I can just feel it!" Lando's random insertion. An army of star destroyers that can't leave the surface and got manned out of nowhere...
    -What was that other desert planet all about anyway?
    -So is the First Order/Empire gone, all gone?
    -Pretty sure Finn's entire motive was to get some ass, will likely settle for Rose.
    -Why was Lando so creepy? Multiple weird comments about saying something to Leia, and then going to find out the heritage of Endor girl.
    -EWOKS!

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

A New Hope
    Empire Strikes Back
    Return of the Jedi

*** 1/2
    Rogue One

Force Awakens

** 1/2
    Last Jedi
    Solo
    Phantom Menace
    Revenge of the Sith

* 1/2
    Rise of Skywalker

Attack of the Clones

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    -The random solutions are just so bad. "I AM THE SPY!" "I can just feel it!" Lando's random insertion. An army of star destroyers that can't leave the surface and got manned out of nowhere...
    I love how he said it like he has been listening to the Resistance's conversations the entire time.

1. Empire - 90
    2. New Hope - 84
    3. Return - 83

4. Solo - 58
    5. Rogue One - 56
    6. Force Awakens - 55

7. Last Jedi - 45
    8. Phantom - 44
    9. Revenge - 41

10. Attack - 13

It's not a good sign that the rather generic Solo is the fourth best movie in the franchise. Both Last Jedi and Force Awakens went down after second viewings, and I don't feel as if Force Awakens even really deserves to be considered "OK" anymore. On the plus side, Rise of Skywalker doesn't have to do much to be better than most other entries.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

I love how he said it like he has been listening to the Resistance's conversations the entire time.
    May as well have been on Game Night: Star Wars Edition.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast