• It was nice knowing you Rian

13 65.00%
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    relevatory from a cinematic aspect as The Force Awakens

Quote Quoting DavidSeven
    a competent closure of storylines
    Seriously? Pulling Palpatine out of a hat?

Quote Quoting DavidSeven
    Not enough Rose? Who cares? That Keri Russell bot was way cooler.
    Ugh, no. Abrams shelved an interesting, cool character and replaced it with a generic, boring love interest.

I can't really understand the love for the Rose character.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I can't really understand the love for the Rose character.
    Well, she's something never before seen in the Star Wars universe - a low-level engineer who has a personal commitment to the Resistance and is caught up in this war which is so much bigger than her. A classic hero trope while also bringing in a breath of fresh air to the franchise. Finn is also a good character. Part of the reason this movie is so bad is what a waste of a great cast of characters it is, all played by competent actors.

I played D&D yesterday with my nerd friends and we all started chuckling at how this movie deals with Palpatine's resurrection IN THE OPENING SCROLL. It's like "The dead speak! Palpatine is back from the grave!" or some schlock like that. It's so lame it wants you to accept a huge plot twist with letters on the screen.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    I played D&D yesterday with my nerd friends and we all started chuckling at how this movie deals with Palpatine's resurrection IN THE OPENING SCROLL. It's like "The dead speak! Palpatine is back from the grave!" or some schlock like that. It's so lame it wants you to accept a huge plot twist with letters on the screen.
    Certainly agree with that. I mean, it would've been quite the twist if both the First Order and the Resistance were following these artifacts that led them to Duke's idea of Emperor Palpatine, who has been living on this Lightning Planet the entire time, without any knowledge that he was still living, but........

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    It's like "The dead speak! Palpatine is back from the grave!" or some schlock like that. It's so lame it wants you to accept a huge plot twist with letters on the screen.
    Haha, reading it the way you're phrasing it makes it sound even worse.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Apparently they filmed a full explanation for Palpatine’s survival / resurrection, but it was cut.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Apparently they filmed a full explanation for Palpatine’s survival / resurrection, but it was cut.
    That's a weird move considering the last Jedi was 20 minutes longer and had 37 scenes that could have been cut from it.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Even though the awful first and second acts were so incredibly rushed, I actually kind of surprised myself with how much I enjoyed the third act, which actually allowed the characters to breathe (weirdly enough, for a climax). I can't say the movie had too many surprises, with everything being so telegraphed or obvious. The movie goes apoplectic trying to shove nostalgia and all the "Remember this!? Remember this, you piece of shit!?" down your throat. Last Jedi was better than this. So was Force Awakens. But again, I can't deny that I felt some joy and chills in the climax. God damnit I don't respect it, but some of it still worked on me.

And there was still time to feature some fucking porgs.
    Last edited by Wryan; 01-06-2020 at 12:41 PM.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

My fave moment of bullshit in a picture just packed with it was the dagger Death Star skyline lineup. Bitch you'd have to be at the exact right spot for that to work! This isn't Indiana Jones!
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Funny thing I just realized.

These planets all being destroyed at the same time, means the planets are exactly the same distance away from Starkiller Base.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

That scene alone is more spectacular and vivid than just about anything in Rise of Skywalker.

Also compare the Yoda/Luke ghost convo in Last Jedi to the Luke/Rey ghost convo in RoS. The former is majestic, lovely, funny and moving, and it's shot gorgeously. The latter doesn't connect in any of those ways.

Driver MVP tho for real.

--Homer

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    My fave moment of bullshit in a picture just packed with it was the dagger Death Star skyline lineup. Bitch you'd have to be at the exact right spot for that to work! This isn't Indiana Jones!
    What was this?

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

When Rey discovers the secret entrance by matching up some random shape on the Death Star with the dagger (from a random position on a grassy knoll). It's a howler.

--Homer

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    When Rey discovers the secret entrance by matching up some random shape on the Death Star with the dagger (from a random position on a grassy knoll). It's a howler.
    Whoever made the knife was incredibly optimistic that the storm-crashed wreckage wouldn't shift out of position. And correct. They were also correct.

Nor is it The Goonies!

Adam Driver really is a remarkable actor. His character arc was badly written, predictable, and rushed at the end, but I was sold. I can't wait to see more of what he does (I watched The Report about a week after seeing this and he saves that one too given that it's basically just a Wikipedia page set to film).

Love all the four main actors, really. Despite not really liking these movies all that much, I generally come away with positive feelings towards it and I think it's because of their performances. The writers/directors did not always service them well, but I appreciate that they gave everything they had. There basically aren't any scenes where there isn't at least one of them on screen, and it made me want to keep watching no matter how crap the story was.

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    Haha, reading it the way you're phrasing it makes it sound even worse.
    No, there were even three exclamation points at the end of the sentence! Like this!!!

Sent from my Mi 9 Lite using Tapatalk

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    No, there were even three exclamation points at the end of the sentence! Like this!!!

I see just one.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

I wish that force sensitive people in the films had been called “Force kin”, so we could at least spend a few hours hearing Hollywood actors say “foreskin” with a straight face.

“Rey. You’re the most sensitive foreskin I’ve ever seen.”

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    I see just one.
    In the actual movie.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Whoever made the knife was incredibly optimistic that the storm-crashed wreckage wouldn't shift out of position. And correct. They were also correct.
    That's not even the worst thing about the dagger. Why did someone make this map to Sith Beacon to begin with??? What purpose does that serve???

It's an important key you can also stab people with. Not that using it would potentially lead to damaging or breaking one of these mega-importante keys or anything...

--Homer

Totally agree amber. Much like the last season of GoT, the actors did the absolute most with the least. They deserve props.

--Homer

Second that agreement. Driver's performance alone made his character somewhat compelling despite the bad writing and directing.

C’mon guys.

Force kin!!

That’s a billion dollar idea!

You guys believe this Colin Trevorrow script leak? Sounds kinky.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast