Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • J.J to the rescue!

7 35.00%
  • It was nice knowing you Rian

13 65.00%
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Duke, that is the most convincing defense I’ve read of Palpatine’s arc. Despite your valiant attempt, however, I will continue to refer to it as ridiculous and stupid.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    Duke, that is the most convincing defense I’ve read of Palpatine’s arc. Despite your valiant attempt, however, I will continue to refer to it as ridiculous and stupid.
    The only thing it's not dumber than is the Emperor surviving that fall, and subsequent obliteration of the Death Star. If J.J. comes out later and says the Emperor that was defeated in Return of the Jedi is the same Emperor on the Lightning Planet... then fuck everything.

My theory also make sense why those Sith beacons exist and why one was on the Death Star. What purpose could those Sith beacons be used for other than for those clones to find their way back to Lightning Planet Palpatine (for whatever reason... to recharge? for new orders?). You wouldn't just create those Sith beacons so say, a Jedi could find there way to the planet.

What DOESNT make sense is why you would put the location of the Sith Beacons on a dagger... which would then be used to look directly at the death star wreckage to find the second beacon. That means that dagger was made AFTER Return of the Jedi. For what purpose? No purpose. Everyone who would need access to that Sith Planet is dead, except for Snoke who doesn't make an appearance until 30 years later.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

How was Finn able to see [
    ]
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

So Star Wars is on the level of its bad fan fiction now. This movie tried to cover up its frankly bad writing with frantic pacing and a lot of jokes (C-3PO had never been so obviously comic relief) but there's no chance a story so poorly constructed will fly with Star Wars fans. The spy subplot, wasted characters (Rose was given literally nothing to do despite her prominent role in the previous film) and generic climax, plus how the fuck is Palpatine alive? Shouldn't there be at least a reason? I like that it retroactively explains why Rey was so good with the Force, but the last trilogy as a whole was at the very least a waste of its cast. There are a lot of moments in Rise of Skywalker that should be epic and moving and instead just sit there, inert on the screen until the next story beat. Say what you will about the prequels, when Anakin put on the Darth Vader mask and shouted "NOOOOO!" to the cruel fates I felt something relevant was happening. This movie couldn't even squeeze that kind of genuine feeling out of the death scene of one of the most beloved characters in all fiction.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 12-29-2019 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    How was Finn able to see [
    ]
    Finn is force sensitive.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Finn is force sensitive.
    This was hinted at in previous installments or merely thrown in there just becuz?

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

No real hints. They just threw it in there as the reason why some troopers defied brainwashing and indoctrination. I thought it was horse crap, because, like midichloreans, it takes away agency from Finn and the others.

Sent from my Mi 9 Lite using Tapatalk

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    No real hints. They just threw it in there as the reason why some troopers defied brainwashing and indoctrination. I thought it was horse crap, because, like midichloreans, it takes away agency from Finn and the others.

Sent from my Mi 9 Lite using Tapatalk
    Marc Bernadin rightly pointed out that when Finn asked Jannah why they defected, she should have simply said, "We heard about you."

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Marc Bernadin rightly pointed out that when Finn asked Jannah why they defected, she should have simply said, "We heard about you."
    Oooooh that would have been so much better.

Marc has the most annoying talent of ruining things by making them obviously better.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Oooooh that would have been so much better.
    Painful how much that should've been the motivation.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Painful how much that should've been the motivation.
    What does Jannah reply instead? Sorry ive forgotten.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    What does Jannah reply instead? Sorry ive forgotten.
    They felt the Force.

I guess I'll play ...

1. Return of the Jedi
    2. A New Hope
    3. The Empire Strikes Back
    4. The Last Jedi
    5. The Force Awakens
    6. The Rise of Skywalker
    7. Revenge of the Sith
    8. Rogue One
    9. Phantom Menace
    10. Attack of the Clones
    11. Solo

Yes ... I really don't like Solo at all. My memory of the prequels are a bit foggy. Phantom Menace might be better than people give it credit for simply because people are hung up on how bad Jar Jar is and some of the supposed "racist" characters or whatever (which seemed overblown to me). I guess if an alien has a big schnoz and is money grubbing he's a Jew?
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Yeh Wow. Attack of the Clones over Solo is kinda shocking. I guess the Maul scene is equal in terrible to I hate sand.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Yeh Wow. Attack of the Clones over Solo is kinda shocking. I guess the Maul scene is equal in terrible to I hate sand.
    It might be worse ... but Solo actively pissed me off more recently for a variety of reasons. The cinematography looks like shit, and that's one thing both the OT and the Abrams-Johnson trio have going for it is that they all look really great to me. The Rise of Skywalker in particular looks awesome at points, despite the script seemingly put through a paper shredder and then taped back together. What's weird is that the cinematographer on Solo has done great things in the past. Also whatshisname as Han Solo is garbage ... but he's great in Hail Caesar! so I think both of them got fucked over by the Disney conveyor belt product line. At least the prequels don't fuck over existing characters that I like the way Solo does. I never had an opinion on Anakin Skywalker one way or the other. But I take fuckin' over HAN SOLO personally!!
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    The cinematography looks like shit,
    This I totally agree with. It looks like it was shot behind a screen door. Everything is so foggy at times. Such an odd choice.

It's by far the worst looking tent-pole movie since Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

- - - - -
    Last edited by Irish; 12-31-2019 at 08:21 PM.

1. The Empire Strikes Back
    2. Star Wars
    3. Return of the Jedi
    4. The Last Jedi
    5. Revenge of the Sith
    6. Rogue One
    7. The Force Awakens
    8. Attack of the Clones
    9. The Phantom Menace
    10. The Rise of Skywalker
    11. Solo

It's a trilogy, not an anthology. I can't think of any other trilogy where at least the general idea wasn't figured out ahead of time from whoever was in charge.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'll take a movie that swings and falls short over a processed, by committee, distilled for the masses, homogenized, SAFE, mediocre film any day.

Edit: I also believe there should've been at least some sort of basic outline for the trilogy. The two ideas do not negate each other.
    Last edited by Skitch; 12-31-2019 at 10:08 PM.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'll take a movie that swings and falls short over a processed, by committee, distilled for the masses, homogenized, SAFE, mediocre film any day.
    Sure, absolutely. But can we really say this stuff takes a meaningful swing?

"Safety first" filmmaking was George's whole schtick (just glance at "Return of the Jedi") and it's a foundational idea for Disney.

Sure, absolutely. But can we really say this stuff takes a meaningful swing?
    I was separating the two ideas. I was not labeling anything Star Wars as "taking a swing".

Edit: to be honest, because of the stupid way that twitter is, I saw the 2nd tweet first, and didn't even realize it was attached to a Star Wars tweet.
    Last edited by Skitch; 12-31-2019 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    It's a trilogy, not an anthology. I can't think of any other trilogy where at least the general idea wasn't figured out ahead of time from whoever was in charge.
    The OT is one. It had an overarching authorial voice in Lucas, but they didn't even know they were making a trilogy until they wanted to wrap things up after Empire. Sure, Lucas has claimed there was always a long-term plan, but he's offered plenty of self-contradictory claims about that over the years, to the point that I basically don't believe a lick of it. (I'm sure he had ideas and concepts but only for further stories, not for a planned-out trilogy. "Lava planet?" he says to himself in 1983, "Could that be a thing?")

I agree some sort of outline would've been a good idea, of course, but I also think a set of good creatives could've absolutely yes-and'd their way to a good story.

Honestly, I think it's a lot simpler; I don't think JJ Abrams is a good storyteller. He mistakes citation for meaning and energy for engagement, which makes him uniquely unqualified for a trilogy of stories that needs meaning, setup/payoff, meat and potatoes development. But because he's good enough at plowing through his films with a baseline level of competence, showmanship, and charismatic casting, it's easy to mistake his films for good stories. Basically, he makes cakes composed entirely of frosting, and by the time you realize there's no actual cake, he's onto the next thing, and why are you complaining, don't you like frosting?

[Problem is Abrams' movies make reliable bank, and he's a protege of Spielberg, which means Kennedy basically has to trust him (and, hell, probably does). All indicators point to him being a good storyteller, except for the underlying problem: he's not.]

This would be a great discussion if he posted here.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast