View Poll Results: Where'd you go, Bernadette? (Richard Linklater)

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

2 100.00%
  • Nay

0 0%

Thread: Where'd you go, Bernadette? (Richard Linklater)

Where'd you go, Bernadette? (Richard Linklater)

I was very surprised by the low Tomatometer score for this (47%) because I thought it was pretty great. Human, truly relateable despite the vast fortune of all of its characters and wonderfully written and acted. As a director, Linklater takes a deliberate back seat to the actors and lets them roll with their talents, and Blanchett comes out of this having created one of her most vibrant on screen personalities. The third act can be accused of overreaching its ambition and just plain corniness, but it worked for me. The film earned its happy ending.

Producer
    Feels like there's a whole act missing around the titular disappearance, so the Antarctica part is seriously deflating, lacking both a satisfying dramatic high point (normally not a Linklater problem, but this is more conventionally plot-driven than usual for him and needs it) and the nuances beforehand. Hugely elevated by Cate Blanchett delivering one of her most magnetic performances though, flawlessly and captivatingly creating a complex, flawed individual. The character's problems make her believably off-putting in so many ways, but Blanchett always finds a path of understanding through to the audience. The parallel monologue scene cutting back and forth between her and Billy Crudup (also excellent) is a stunner. 6.5/10
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5