Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Film Awards Talk - 2020

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    That's not the point I was trying to make. My point was that the fact of a film being popular isn't in itself significant, contrary to Grouchy's claim that cinephiles who dismiss Joker must be missing something essential about the film. Sometimes films are popular for uninteresting reasons despite being bad.
    You are right, and that point can easily be made without shitting on people who disagree.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    I'm not genuinely upset that three people in this forum don't like Queen. I do wonder what other wonderful stuff they dislike. Sunshine? Air? Life? But seriously, I, like you, have a varied taste in music and people sometimes do get outraged that I can appreciate, I dunno, a Schubert string quartet and Shakira.
    I need to make better use of the quote button. My comments were not in any way pointed at you, even though looking back it looks like it. My bad. I just meant to be chiming in.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    I've been so depressed lately that listening to Joy Division cheers me up. (wait what thread is this again ...?)

Anyway I will always love Queen because of this gloriously cheesy shit.
    Joy Division rules. Rush and Led Zeppelin are among my favorite bands.

I know that my taste in cinema rocks. I am one with the cinema.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

^ Double anyway, I like it when people take hard and fast stances on old bands. I grinned when I read trans' post.
    I still laugh at this scene even though I like The Eagles these days. Also Joker was great-what a nice comic book remake of Taxi Driver.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

can recall his past lives origami_mustache's Avatar
    I had the all you can eat fried chicken meal today at the the nihilist pancake house in The Big Lebowski.
    In Front of Your Face (Hong Sang-soo, 2021) - 6
    Introduction (Hong Sang-soo, 2021) - 6
    True Mothers (Naomi Kawase, 2020) - 8
    Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy - (Ryusuke Hamaguchi, 2021) - 7
    Wife of a Spy (Kiyoshi Kurosawa, 2020) - 7
    The Power of the Dog (Jane Campion, 2021) - 9
    Don't Look Up - (Adam McKay, 2021) - 4
    The Matrix Resurrections (Lana Wachowski, 2021) - 4.5
    Benedetta (Paul Verhoeven, 2021) - 7

mubi

- - - - -
    Ezee, what are your predictions this year for the major categories?

Producer

Damnnnn, Parasite winning a historic win for SAG Ensemble award (first foreign cast to do so, and only the second to be nominated after Life Is Beautiful, and that was way before they opened up the membership so their tastes have been more common) just gets my hope up for it being the Best Picture dark horse upset against 1917 (a frontrunner after it won PGA). Let's see what DGA and WGA will bring. But so glad for this win anyway!!!
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Producer
    Blessed images.

[]

Sad Cho Yeo-jeong (the rich mom) wasn't there too because she has a K-series currently going on (she only managed a Golden Globes appearance). But still!
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Ezee, what are your predictions this year for the major categories?
    Picture - still pondering on, but I think Once Upon A Time In Hollywood... Hollywood story, A+ actors, history that jives with majority of voters. HAS females in it. It's this or Parasite.

Director - Bong Joon-Ho.
    Actor - Phoenix
    Actress - Zelwegger now... but I'm mostly like, "Really? Did people see this? This comeback story... It's not like she's being casted in anything else. She may very well disappear again."
    Supporting Actor - Pitt. Pesci could've stolen it if he remotely tried, but he obviously has no interest in this type of thing. Pitt will get a standing ovation.
    Supporting Actress - Dern. Was wrong to think Lopez's star power would've led the way. Ego and not exactly a actor's actor in a way makes sense that she didn't get nominated. Dern is Hollywood royalty and overdue. Just a weird role that's winning.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Producer
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Picture - still pondering on, but I think Once Upon A Time In Hollywood... Hollywood story, A+ actors, history that jives with majority of voters. HAS females in it. It's this or Parasite.

Director - Bong Joon-Ho.
    Actor - Phoenix
    Actress - Zelwegger now... but I'm mostly like, "Really? Did people see this? This comeback story... It's not like she's being casted in anything else. She may very well disappear again."
    Supporting Actor - Pitt. Pesci could've stolen it if he remotely tried, but he obviously has no interest in this type of thing. Pitt will get a standing ovation.
    Supporting Actress - Dern. Was wrong to think Lopez's star power would've led the way. Ego and not exactly a actor's actor in a way makes sense that she didn't get nominated. Dern is Hollywood royalty and overdue. Just a weird role that's winning.
    The acting categories are probably locked at this point. Weakest frontrunner is Zellweger, but she still sweeps and doesn’t have anyone who can replace her. I’m not sure about Bong getting director though, since 1917’s very showy long take(s) align with what wins this category in past years, plus it’s in English (sadly I think still a hurdle for Bong), but we will know more at DGA. And Hollywood, as much as its surface seems to indicate a Best Picture win back this year, doesn’t look to have any support at any industry guild, even after its visible and televised Golden Globes wins (Parasite gets the editing guild awards too). Its likeliest support in a guild win was SAG (considering the star-studded cast) and they went with Parasite. I think it comes down to 1917 as frontrunner vs Parasite as a possibly strong upset. We will probably know surer when we have 2 more guild awards to look on.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

The SAG award for Parasite is huge. That pretty much pushes it into spoiler territory for 1917 (which won PGA ... arguably the best predictor for BP there is). Still, actors make up the largest group in the Academy, so SAG best cast award is also a good indicator. I think it's looking like this right now in order of likelihood ...

1. 1917
    2. Parasite
    3. OUATIH
    4. The Irishman
    5. Joker
    Last edited by Pop Trash; 01-20-2020 at 04:14 AM.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

I do wonder if a male-only movie (minus one scene) could win it at the Oscars. PGA and DGA is a little different. 1917 didn't even get an ensemble nomination is the thing holding it back for me.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I do wonder if a male-only movie (minus one scene) could win it at the Oscars. PGA and DGA is a little different. 1917 didn't even get an ensemble nomination is the thing holding it back for me.
    PGA and the Oscars split more often in the '90s and '00s but since 2007 w/ No Country for Old Men, they've lined up on everything except The Big Short (over Spotlight) and Lala Land (over Moonlight). I imagine the Vegas odds are w/ 1917 at this point.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    PGA and the Oscars split more often in the '90s and '00s but since 2007 w/ No Country for Old Men, they've lined up on everything except The Big Short (over Spotlight) and Lala Land (over Moonlight). I imagine the Vegas odds are w/ 1917 at this point.
    Big Short is mostly an all-men movie too.

The way the Oscars vote isn't necessarily a "pick your favorite" either. There's a preferential ballot, which you do need to take into account, in that what's likely to be more of a #2, #3, #4 on people's lists, and what will others put at the bottom? This is a big piece of why La La Land lost, because if it wasn't your #1 of the year, people tended to hate it.

This is why I'm starting to also think Parasite could win, because I don't know one person who hasn't liked it.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

My money is on 1917 winning Best Picture.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I'm not reading many critics thoughts, but I'm generally shocked at Phoenix being the front runner here.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

While I do genuinely believe he gave a great performance, if not exactly the best performance of the year, from what I’ve gathered, Phoenix at the front appears to be more of a “he’s been overdue a win” situation, similar to when Leo finally won for The Revenant.

That said, assuming he does win, I just think it’ll be pretty cool that the Joker would then be a 2 time Oscar winning role.
    Last edited by TGM; 01-20-2020 at 01:12 PM.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Well it would be nice if the academy would catch up to itself and give the awards to the people that deserved them in the years of their actual top performance.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Don’t disagree with you in the slightest there!

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Well it would be nice if the academy would catch up to itself and give the awards to the people that deserved them in the years of their actual top performance.
    In a year like this one, I'd be fine with Phoenix/DiCaprio/Driver winning.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

C'mon Duke. We all know Scent of a Woman is Al Pacino's greatest film!

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

I'm not reading many critics thoughts, but I'm generally shocked at Phoenix being the front runner here.
    I'm perplexed by the frontrunner status of all the acting awards. I guess there's inside baseball politics involved and people think they are "due" but the idea that Dern, Renee Z, Brad, and JP are the consensus pick by all these awards bodies is very odd to me (of course I have zero interest in seeing Judy, so maybe I'm wrong about that one).

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

I can understand the front-runner status of Dern, Pitt, and Phoenix, but Zellweger is a bit of a mystery to me. It's an okay-to-pretty-good movie with a really solid performance, but it doesn't seem like many people saw it and it certainly didn't do gangbusters box office or stick to the cultural consciousness much beyond its Telluride premiere in September. But it was that weekend that it was decided that she was the front-runner and somehow she never relinquished that. Like, somewhere it was decided that she was gonna win it and everyone said, okay, that works for us. Feels similar to Glenn Close last year, even though she didn't end up winning. The math of how that decision gets made so far in advance is weird but it happens a lot.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Quote Quoting Lazlo (view post)
    I can understand the front-runner status of Dern, Pitt, and Phoenix, but Zellweger is a bit of a mystery to me. It's an okay-to-pretty-good movie with a really solid performance, but it doesn't seem like many people saw it and it certainly didn't do gangbusters box office or stick to the cultural consciousness much beyond its Telluride premiere in September. But it was that weekend that it was decided that she was the front-runner and somehow she never relinquished that. Like, somewhere it was decided that she was gonna win it and everyone said, okay, that works for us. Feels similar to Glenn Close last year, even though she didn't end up winning. The math of how that decision gets made so far in advance is weird but it happens a lot.
    Pretty weak year otherwise, and it doesn't seem like there's much marketing/publicity for anyone else.

I DO think there will be at least one surprise here. Most likely in one of the actress categories. If Scarlett didn't have a weird reputation from her interview bits throughout the year, I'd almost wonder if she'd be a frontrunner.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Pretty weak year otherwise, and it doesn't seem like there's much marketing/publicity for anyone else.

I DO think there will be at least one surprise here. Most likely in one of the actress categories. If Scarlett didn't have a weird reputation from her interview bits throughout the year, I'd almost wonder if she'd be a frontrunner.
    Well, weak if you're like the Academy and refuse to look beyond the narrow window they always look through. I get that there's more to it on a publicity front than just quality, but there's tons of good options that even they could sleep at night having chosen: Awkwafina, Lupita Nyong'o (who's already in the damn club!), Elisabeth Moss, Ana de Armas, Julianne Moore, just to name a few. It's frustrating that their taste is so unimaginative and tied to their misguided idea of "prestige." And I liked Zellweger and Judy, they're just not near the top of my list.

I'm just always bemused by the way it often seems to work, that sometime in August it was decided that this belongs to Zellweger and that nothing's happened to change that decision.

Hoping there's a surprise in the final results, like you say. There was last year.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast