Quote Quoting Lazlo (view post)
Well, weak if you're like the Academy and refuse to look beyond the narrow window they always look through. I get that there's more to it on a publicity front than just quality, but there's tons of good options that even they could sleep at night having chosen: Awkwafina, Lupita Nyong'o (who's already in the damn club!), Elisabeth Moss, Ana de Armas, Julianne Moore, just to name a few. It's frustrating that their taste is so unimaginative and tied to their misguided idea of "prestige." And I liked Zellweger and Judy, they're just not near the top of my list.

I'm just always bemused by the way it often seems to work, that sometime in August it was decided that this belongs to Zellweger and that nothing's happened to change that decision.

Hoping there's a surprise in the final results, like you say. There was last year.
Judy's been baffling me all year for the exact reason you shared. She's not exactly getting huge kudos at the award shows as far as applause and ovations go.

I was even at Telluride and there weren't that many raves on even her performance. She was given a "Tribute" but there was far more interest in Marriage Story, Uncut Gems, and Ford V Ferrari. Once Renee's tribute/Q&As were over, Judy was at half capacity.