View Poll Results: Frozen II

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

3 50.00%
  • Nay

3 50.00%

Thread: Frozen II (Chris Buck, Jennifer Lee)

Frozen II (Chris Buck, Jennifer Lee)

FROZEN II

Directors: Chris Buck, Jennifer Lee

imdb

I am seeing this tonight. I am hyped.

Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I am seeing this tonight. I am hyped.
    I'm also seeing this tonight. Not super hyped, cautiously optimistic, mostly wanting to get it out of the way, haha.
    last four:
    the perfection - 3
    the devil's own - 6
    the matrix - 10
    bob & carol & ted & alice - 6

now reading:
    the wes anderson collection by matt zoller seitz
    cloud atlas by david mitchell

Letterboxd
    The Cruise Cruise - A Podcast About Tom Cruise

God, I can’t remember the last time I went into a movie this stupidly excited for it, and it actually met my ridiculous expectations of it. Loved this. Loved. This.

Finally got my review written up, which I should be posting either later tonight or tomorrow. But for now, 2010s Walt Disney Animation Studios films ranked:
    Frozen
    Frozen II
    Zootopia
    Tangled
    Moana
    Big Hero 6
    Wreck-It Ralph
    Ralph Breaks the Internet
    Winnie the Pooh

Quote Quoting Lazlo (view post)
    I'm also seeing this tonight. Not super hyped, cautiously optimistic, mostly wanting to get it out of the way, haha.
    Thoughts on the movie?

Thoughts on the movie?
    It was fine! Beautiful to look at, of course, but the story was a bit of a jumble. The run from Elsa crossing the ocean, singing "Show Yourself," through Anna singing "The Next Right Thing" (my favorite song of the bunch) is pretty spectacular and really the high point of the movie emotionally and musically. Olaf continues to be an annoyance and the when-will-Kristof-get-a-damn-moment-to-propose? plot is super tired. Mid-tier Disney animation (taking the whole 80 years into account). Also might have been negatively affected by the three 20-something bros sitting behind me, 2 of which showed up 10 minutes late and needed to talk to their friend about what they'd missed as well as needing a recap of the first movie. Lots of chit-chat. Ugh. Anyway, didn't love it, though it has some pretty high highs, didn't hate it.
    last four:
    the perfection - 3
    the devil's own - 6
    the matrix - 10

now reading:

Letterboxd

Your complaints ring consistent with others I’ve heard. I of course wasn’t bothered by those things, but I’m glad you still enjoyed the movie all the same.

The 2nd time I saw it I had to deal with a chatty audience as well. If that were my first viewing, I fear I would’ve had another La La Land scenario on my hand, where I wouldn’t even be able to enjoy the movie, cause they seriously talked through the entire last third of this things, songs and everything. Very obnoxious, but thankfully all my other viewings have been very well behaved.

You’re not kidding about that stretch of greatness you point out, though. The “Show Yourself” sequence is hands down the best scene I’ve seen in any movie this year, and is quite frankly a contender for scene of the decade at that, IMO. It’s seriously one of the most visually and emotionally beautiful moments I’ve ever seen captured in a movie.

And “The Next Right Thing” floored me with its stark groundedness and Kristen Bell’s emotionally packed performance. Seriously, she sold the hell out of that moment, and gives one of the best performances of the year there, and makes me wish voice work in animated films got taken more seriously for awards consideration.

Your complaints ring consistent with others I’ve heard. I of course wasn’t bothered by those things, but I’m glad you still enjoyed the movie all the same.

The 2nd time I saw it I had to deal with a chatty audience as well. If that were my first viewing, I fear I would’ve had another La La Land scenario on my hand, where I wouldn’t even be able to enjoy the movie, cause they seriously talked through the entire last third of this things, songs and everything. Very obnoxious, but thankfully all my other viewings have been very well behaved.

You’re not kidding about that stretch of greatness you point out, though. The “Show Yourself” sequence is hands down the best scene I’ve seen in any movie this year, and is quite frankly a contender for scene of the decade at that, IMO. It’s seriously one of the most visually and emotionally beautiful moments I’ve ever seen captured in a movie.

And “The Next Right Thing” floored me with its stark groundedness and Kristen Bell’s emotionally packed performance. Seriously, she sold the hell out of that moment, and gives one of the best performances of the year there, and makes me wish voice work in animated films got taken more seriously for awards consideration.
    Glad you liked it so much. It's such a great thing to connect with a movie on that level!
    last four:
    the perfection - 3
    the devil's own - 6
    the matrix - 10

now reading:

Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Lazlo (view post)
    Glad you liked it so much. It's such a great thing to connect with a movie on that level!
    I was thinking of this, and it made me recall Henry Gale’s reaction to Kubo and the Two Strings:

http://matchcut.artboiled.com/showth...l=1#post559747

I feel like I definitely understand how that movie made him felt back then.

Also curious what he would think about this one, seeing how he was among the few here who was rather favorable towards the first movie. Whatever happened to him I wonder?

the maker of my own evil Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Haven't really thought too much about this since I saw it, but I enjoyed it for its runtime. The animation is breathtakingly gorgeous, I liked the character arcs for Anna and Elsa, and the songs are good, with "Into The Unknown" being the best of the bunch, although I also got a kick out of Kristoff's 80s love ballad (during which the 80s-style editing and visuals had me in stitches). Some recent trends in Disney's work make their presence here that end up being detrimental to its narrative like the way it plays its ending safe as well as the lack of a villain, but overall, I was entertained.

Also, when our heroes walked through the giant wall of mist leading into the enchanted forest, I got serious Annihilation vibes to the point where now I want an R-rated Annihilation remake with Disney princesses.
    Last edited by Ivan Drago; 12-22-2019 at 11:46 PM.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

Commando (Lester, 1985) 5
    Gilda (Vidor, 1946) 4
    Bombshell (Roach, 2019) 3
    Atlantics (Diop, 2019) 4
    American Factory (Bognar/Reichert, 2019) 4

Fox Force Five News

Watched this again today, and I can't help but feel like the poetic way in which the sisters' stories are told in the last third of this movie is seriously master class stuff, especially since it's all done without ever really drawing attention to itself and what it's doing. But the movie makes the claim that they're both two sides of the same bridge, and that's certainly shown in the ways in which their journeys play out and parallel one another, working in opposite manners towards the same endgoal:

[
    ]

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    Also, when our heroes walked through the giant wall of mist leading into the enchanted forest, I got serious Annihilation vibes to the point where now I want an R-rated Annihilation remake with Disney princesses.
    While not quite the same thing (or rather, not the same thing at all, in fact!), the current rumor is that Disney is looking to make a more book faithful adaptation of The Snow Queen into live action, which would of course be telling a much darker story than we've become accustomed to, so that could possibly be interesting.

But yes, this too.