View Poll Results: I heard you paint houses.

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I do.

14 77.78%
  • Nope, I’m not connected.

4 22.22%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The Irishman (Some old guy)

There's some problems with that scene but some things I really like about it ...

1) fights in real life are never how they play out in the movies; they are awkward, kicks don't connect, people think they look like Van Damme but look closer to ... well ... 2k19 De Niro

2) how Scorsese shoots the entire thing in one wide take with the exception of the split second close-up on his daughter. This is hugely important throughout the course of the film and the beatdown is the start of their strained relationship. I like that it doesn't have a bunch of stupid cuts in it.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Yeah, I like that scene and I have no problems with the CGI in it, no more than in the rest of the film... I think it might be time to admit I'm a fanboy, though. Marty is my Marvel.

One thing that occurs to me... If that scene had a different actor playing the character's body language like it has been suggested on the thread... How fair would it be to still consider it a Bob De Niro performance? Shouldn't we start listing both actors for the same role in that case?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Yeah, I like that scene and I have no problems with the CGI in it, no more than in the rest of the film... I think it might be time to admit I'm a fanboy, though. Marty is my Marvel.

One thing that occurs to me... If that scene had a different actor playing the character's body language like it has been suggested on the thread... How fair would it be to still consider it a Bob De Niro performance? Shouldn't we start listing both actors for the same role in that case?
    Chris Evens was the only person credited for Captain America, and someone else played his body for the first half of the movie.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)

Just like stunt actors do for a considerable amount of performances.

I can't buy Pop Trash's approach for a real life look. This one looked staged, was not convincing that the victim was in pain, and was almost comedic. The man falling through the glass worked, but everything afterwards....

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    lol. Certainly don't think it's the best of the century. Basically stopped reading her article right then.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I tried to read her article but I got distracted by the awesome trailer above. What a great film.

As shown in this thread, I fit into neither of the two categories she claims in her first sentence are the only existing reviews of this film, therefore, the rest of her article must not be for me.

Hell, am I wrong in thinking even the most positive of reviews in this thread aren't without a little criticism? Is anyone calling this the movie of the century (obviously shes exaggerating), the decade...the year? One of the best of the year, okay, thats not really controversial, but anyone here falling all over themselves to die on the mountain that this is easily the best of 2019?
    Last edited by Skitch; 12-04-2019 at 12:59 AM.

- - - - -
    One of the worst things about social media is that it incentizes outlets to troll for clicks.

One look at the author's wiki bio says it all ...

> Andrea Peyser is a columnist for the New York Post, known for her coverage of many scandals involving public figures. Her two books are Mother Love, Deadly Love: The Susan Smith Murders (1995) and Celebutards: The Hollywood Hacks, Limousine Liberals and Pandering Politicians Who Are Destroying America (2009).

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Celebutards: The Hollywood Hacks, Limousine Liberals and Pandering Politicians Who Are Destroying America (2009)
    Sounds great!
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Lol. That title is perfect.

But no I agree the Post is shit.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Article starts off with a ridiculous strawman and false dichotomy and I noped out. Terrible writer. This is the state of your side of the issue, Duke? This represents your voice? For shame.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Article starts off with a ridiculous strawman and false dichotomy and I noped out. Terrible writer. This is the state of your side of the issue, Duke? This represents your voice? For shame.
    Man you guys really don't know my sense of humor after 10 years do you?

I just said the Post was shit in my last post.

Producer
    This is not exactly the inverse of GoodFellas so much as the sense of mundane existence in that film’s epilogue infecting backwards, to even the supposedly thrilling dishonest work. Henry Hill’s proud gangster glamour is now cloaked as dutiful day-to-day sturdy job. Rather than enjoying his work, our emotionally and morally void protagonist instead finds meaning in the strength of his criminal code, which turns out to be much more ethereal than the bond of family and friends he regrets to miss behind as he looks back. Robbie Robertson’s score accordingly exudes something akin to slow funereal march rather than mob exuberance, grounding early proceedings from ever taking on full thrill ride, and matching the progressively somber later parts perfectly.

That aching last hour, with the extraordinary (anti-)climax of Detroit and its aftermath reverberating to the present, slows down agonizingly and exquisitely, for time to contract and expand with the full weight of its mortality, and of Scorsese having your heart slowly ripped out with every minute passed. That hour feels as if the door of a coffin being gradually closed down, closing on Frank Sheeran, on our acute awareness in the mortality of him, of all the film’s aged makers and us, and of the legacy of this genre they have helped shape for decades. The one final, devastating touch is that Scorsese doesn’t close that coffin all the way, but he leaves the door open just a little bit, for you to imagine the remaining despair by yourself. 9/10
    Last edited by Peng; 12-27-2019 at 04:04 PM.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Well I did like it quite a bit. Having seen 6 of the 9 BP nominees I think it's the weakest out of the ones I have seen. Pacino was my favorite thing about the movie. Despite the length I wish I could have seen it on the big screen.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345