Thread: All Things Must End: The Series Finale Thread

All Things Must End: The Series Finale Thread

Hello, everyone. I'm new on this version but I was on the old one but didn't post much. At all. So, here's a thread I'd like to make so we can get all acquainted like. Ending a show on an emotionally satisfying and logical conclusion is difficult to do. It can go horribly wrong. It can be the best thing the series has ever created. That will be what I'll examine in this thread. I'll post about series finales such as Seinfeld, Six Feet Under, The X-Files, Newhart, and other series that come to my mind later on. I'll tell what makes the finale work or what doesn't work. I'll start out with the Gervais/Merchant dynamic duo, The Office and Extras.

And, obviously, there is going to be spoilers. It's the fucking series finale.

The Office Christmas Special

I don't know how it's possible to watch this and not cringe when you see David Brent get on stage in a bleeding Austin Powers costume. There isn't a glimpse of hope to be found in the majority of the Christmas Special. Tim and Dawn are seperated by an entire ocean and Brent is now reduced to a B level celebrity. This would be the most depressing thing I have ever seen if it weren't for the steady streams of laughs to keep you from going to that drawer and slicing your throat.

Finally, in the final ten minutes, a glimpse of light is shown. Dawn finds Tim's present and it's an oil painting set. Attached to it is a note from Tim that tells her to don't give up on her dream. After this, Brent is having a date with a woman who finds him to be funny and charming. Brent then tells Finchy to fuck off. Finally, Dawn walks into the room and kisses Tim. In the final scene, Brent actually manages to get a laugh out of his ex-co-workers.

What makes this finale work is that it manages to give a great feeling of closure to the series as a whole while maintaining a feeling of amguity. Remember that Tim says life keeps going on after the cameras stop rolling. Just because this is where the series ends doesn't mean that this is permanent. I still think that the series ends on a hopeful note. You can tell that Brent has grown up a bit to tell Finchy to fuck off and his happy, little smile when he sees Tim and Dawn finally getting together.

Extras: The Christmas Special

The Extras Christmas Special is far more depressing than the Office Christmas Special. It's not because that the Extras Christmas Special is actually more sad in the material. It's because it doesn't have as much of the humor that was on The Office to relieve the tension. However, that doesn't make this any weaker from The Office. In fact, it's just as damn good.

The quote that sums up the series finale is that only a few can achieve fame and integrity. Andy Millman will never become one of those few people. When Andy says he wants to be on the tele, you can hear the inner conflict. The Celebrity Big Brother sequence is agonoizing to watch. It's just hard to watch Andy reach rock bottom with nowhere to go but even father down. You watch his self despair grow larger and larger until he finally lets it loose in a monologue and the relative useless image of celebrity.

In the end, he seems to get his wish. He gets famous for his monologue and has the chance to hit it big. Instead of going to his press conference, he gets in a car with Maggie and goes to where the flying fish live. The camera goes upward and we see the bright sky with Tea for the Tillerman playing. I couldn't think of a more fitting finale.

Newhart finale was inspired. Maybe the best ever.

This thread reminds me how disappointing that (really actually doesn't exist) series finale to The X-Files was. Topped on by the fact that Seinfeld jumped the shark in its series finale. Although I liked the series finale to Wings. I wonder how Lost, 24, and the American version of The Office are going to end.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Seinfeld: The Finale

I don't love this finale. I don't exactly hate it either. This is an example of a mediocre finale which explains the large amount of hate put onto it. The biggest problem with this finale is that it barely has any laughs in it at all. There's some gaps where there's not a smirk to be found. The best part about the finale is the fact that nearly every single character on the show returns. They got Babu back from Pakistan. That's just great.

The Seinfeld finale was about pointing out that this group of characters saw life only through their own filters only and the finale was to point this out. The ending in the jail show about the first scene in the series shows that these characters have nothing more to say. Another good thing about the finale was that it constantly made fun of the series finale cliches such as characters getting married (The Geraldo), the death of everyone (The plane), and moving away for a new job (The pilot).

The worst part is that the finale could've worked. If there had been far more great jokes (Or just jokes, for that matter), it could've gone down in history. Another problem I find is that this has too much of a finite end. The series is about nothing. It should have an ending about nothing. Now, let's talk about that button, nomad...
    This is a signature, I assume.

I would rank The Office finale alongside the Twin Peaks pilot as one of the greatest things to happen on television. Truly masterful writing and execution.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (NoƩ, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

One of the biggest problems with Seinfeld's finale was that it was basically a clip show that they aired right after showing a clip show. They brought all of these characters back and then had flashbacks to when they were on originally. Well, we had just sat through that. It was frustrating, and probably would be much better watched on its own.

One of the great things about The Office's ending was that it has two endings that deliver different things. The ending of the series proper ends on a pretty down note which was the only really true way it could have finished. This note is where the Christmas special picks up and gives us the glimpses of hope you describe. Together, they work beautifully.

Don't know if it's your thing, but I absolutely adore the Mad About You finale, easily one of the most graceful bow-outs of any series (even after the few lackluster, somewhat clumsy seasons that preceded it). No matter how much I watch it, it never fails to move me deeply.

Quote Quoting rocus (view post)
    One of the biggest problems with Seinfeld's finale was that it was basically a clip show that they aired right after showing a clip show. They brought all of these characters back and then had flashbacks to when they were on originally. Well, we had just sat through that. It was frustrating, and probably would be much better watched on its own.
    This was my biggest problem with the series finale. And honestly I wouldn't have mind seeing the characters go down with the plane, seeing as they were all really bad people (even lovable Kramer). But I guess that wouldn't have really fit with the show's overall style of humor.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?